MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

...John Polakowski :thumbsup:

and no mention of John Polakowski can go by without mentioning his war with Olaf Alfonso from WEC 9. An incredible fight, that is my all time favourite. I dont know if this is online anywhere (it wasnt on youtube when I looked), but if you can track down a copy you wont be disappointed.

I really need to try and source a copy of TUF 8 from somewhere, as it is the one season I havent seen (with the exception of the Finale).

• Paid Members

and no mention of John Polakowski can go by without mentioning his war with Olaf Alfonso from WEC 9. An incredible fight, that is my all time favourite. I dont know if this is online anywhere (it wasnt on youtube when I looked), but if you can track down a copy you wont be disappointed.

I really need to try and source a copy of TUF 8 from somewhere, as it is the one season I havent seen (with the exception of the Finale).

The Polakowski fight (and the rematch) are both online cause ive watched them on there, maybe try mmashare.com. TUF 8 may well be my fav series you should defo try and find it

UFC 21 is the absolute worst of the UFC 20s. I've watched it once only since I bought the 21-22 DVD set, but wore out UFC 22. That Tito Ortiz-Frank Shamrock war really lives up to the hype...

The most disappointing UFC ever for me has to be UFC 61: Bitter Rivals. What a fucking abortion that was. One half of the co-main event didn't get started (Tito-Ken II) and the other was the most boring, plodding affair since the Shamrock-Severn "superfight".

Might be a stupid question, but is the old UFC MC where Mr. Kennedy got the idea for his intro ?

I presume you mean that awful announcer from the first early shows who repeated the surnames.

That's been done by various people for years in Boxing mostly. It happens in the early Rocky films too. I remember noticing it years ago.

• Paid Members
Might be a stupid question, but is the old UFC MC where Mr. Kennedy got the idea for his intro ?

I presume you mean that awful announcer from the first early shows who repeated the surnames.

That's been done by various people for years in Boxing mostly. It happens in the early Rocky films too. I remember noticing it years ago.

Used to be the standard for boxing held in big arenas, Ive heard it was done because people at the back dont hear the name being announced the first time because of the noise of the crowd

Because I bought it region 1 I decided to get The Ultimate Fighter Nog vs Mir seeing as its STILL not available in this country, man I forgot the awesomness of this series, Drunk Junie, Tom Lawlor, spunk Sushi, Big Nogs Happy face, some great fast paced fights and the legend that is Stankie the boxing coach

I nearly stopped watching TUF after Junie Browning jumped in the cage.

• Paid Members

that's a fight that was all over the internet when it happened. Seemed to disappear from existence then though :( wish i'd archived all the old shit i used to download (i do now).

The WEC needs to get its act together with DVD's.

that's a fight that was all over the internet when it happened. Seemed to disappear from existence then though :( wish i'd archived all the old shit i used to download (i do now).

The WEC needs to get its act together with DVD's.

I think a lot of the WEC shows aired on HDNet Fights at some point in the US. The only one that I think may have gotten an official release is WEC 6 'Return of a Legend' which is main evented by Frank Shamrock vs Bryan Pardoe.

The problem with the WEC that aired on HDNet was that they didn't always air the complete shows. WEC 12 for example, they only showed 4 fights, and the same for WEC 18 (although they aired a hell of a short fight between Justin Levens and Scott Smith). Some of the early shows are not even in circulation amongst DVD traders (1-3 and 25-27, although the latter shows aired in the first season of Wrekcage). When you look at some of the names on the early WEC shows such as Leben, Swick, Parisyan, Vera, Carter, Melendez, Faber etc. you would think it would be well worth the WEC investing a bit of time and releasing these shows, even if it was in box sets of 5 shows at a time.

I watched UFC 3 last night, and really enjoyed it.

I found it quite annoying that an alternate went in and won one fight and 60,000 and was named the champion. What gives ? Gracie vs. Kimo was great fun as was Kimo coming out after Gracie pulled out and being all "YEAH ! I DID THIS !".

Also liked the Qtr. Final between Shamrock and Leninger.

I was looking at the Wiki entry for the show and it says that Shamrock pulled out because he wasn't interested in fighting anyone other than Gracie in the final. Is that true ?