MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Manhoef v Cyborg from Cage Rage is always a classic.

Forgot that one.What a wild brawl that was.

I was looking at the UFC 21-29 shows and bar seeing them for completeness, I really didn't feel they would be worth watching.

It was certainly a weak run of shows.There's still some stuff worth seeing though just maybe not whole shows.The Frank Shamrock-Tito Ortiz fight is obviously the one that stands out most from these events.

• Paid Members

And yeah Shockwave 2004 was a great card and one of the best Pride put on IMO.

Fedor was scarily dominant and at times looked like he was just toying with Nog.Different fight to the first one aswell because it's mainly stand up where the first one was a brutal ground and pound demolition job.

Hunt vs Wand is still one of my favourite fights to watch from Pride.A real war and like you I thought Wand edged it but it was a close one to score.

• Paid Members

I didn't know either.Cool.

I remember watching Ultimate Japan a while back and it was really weird seeing Sakuraba in the UFC.I knew he was on event but it still looked strange to me.

It was the same when Cro Cop,Nogueira etc came to the UFC,seemed surreal to see them in the octagon.It will be the same with Gomi.

Manhoef v Cyborg from Cage Rage is always a classic.

Forgot that one.What a wild brawl that was.

I was looking at the UFC 21-29 shows and bar seeing them for completeness, I really didn't feel they would be worth watching.

It was certainly a weak run of shows.There's still some stuff worth seeing though just maybe not whole shows.The Frank Shamrock-Tito Ortiz fight is obviously the one that stands out most from these events.

I maintain what I said previously about UFC 21 being a hidden gem of a show. From 22 its all about Shamrock/Ortiz and a brutal KO in the Kohler/Judson fight, 23 is one to give a miss to, and having just finished watching the show I would say the same about 24 (just search out Tiki/Cook, and maybe the early Pulver fight).

i put UFC 25 on last night and couldn't believe that Minowaman was on the card, i never knew he fought in the UFC.

This ones next on my UFC viewing as I continue to make my way through the early shows that I didnt see first time around. I have seen the Tito/Wanderlei fight before (on a Wanderlei career comp), but the Japan shows in the past I have found a chore to get through.

• Paid Members
I maintain what I said previously about UFC 21 being a hidden gem of a show. From 22 its all about Shamrock/Ortiz and a brutal KO in the Kohler/Judson fight, 23 is one to give a miss to, and having just finished watching the show I would say the same about 24 (just search out Tiki/Cook, and maybe the early Pulver fight).

I just read your post on UFC 22,I'll have to give it a watch.Sounds better than it looks on paper for sure.

I saw 22-24 a while back and apart from Shamrock-Ortiz there wasn't a whole lot that sticks out as memorable but I'm gonna end up getting them all anyway eventually.

• Paid Members

25 is a strange show. The shows opens, then cuts to a backstage interview with then, matchmaker John Peretti who basically apologises for the card before it begins. He mentions that many fights were thrown together last minute and that Eugene Jackson is ill so don't expect his performance to be up to much.

It's a weird way to start out a card.

Laverne Clarke looked the fucking business on there for a round though (he clearly got tired after that, which he claims was due to jet lag)...first time ive seen Clarke fight (even though he's a bit of a veteran), they claim he's the first pro boxer to win the UFC (im pretty sure they pimped Don Frye as a pro boxer though). Dangerous hands and some great takedown defence. I wanna see more from him...

it's the undercard fights on these shows that i'm unfamiliar with, you get to see some pretty cool stuff.

Incidentally it's Minowama's 4th pro fight on the show! madness.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Is UFC 25 worth your time??

probably not. It's a bit a wonky card...

Ron Waterman proves why hes one of the most boring MMA fighters there is, despite massive pyhsical advantages he couldn't put away his opponent. Decent first round, kinda faded after that.

Minowa showed why he went on to be all kinds of awesome though, wild style and as usual does some crazy shit.

Kikuta looked fantastic againt Eugene Jackson, good little battle.

Bustamante looked good...it's a shame Bustamante reliquished the UFC title, i'd love to see how far he could have taken his title run. One of those stubborn jiu jitsu guys who never really evolved, but he made it work for him.

If you're a completist, check it out but there's nothing here that could be deemed as 'must see' except for perhaps the Wanderlei/Tito fight (which is pretty boring in all fairness), because it kind of happened just before they both went into their primes (Tito was arguably in his prime here), and it's a fight that a lot of people don't know about.

I enjoy this shit though, i love all the backstage interviews and all that shit, it's like a little history lesson :)

• Paid Members

speaking of Ortiz, even though he was the 'face' of the UFC for a long time (pretty much from around the times of UFC 25-44) and had a bit of a personality about him, it's never really mentioned that his fights were usually boring as shit. Ortiz tactics have always pretty much been to lie in guard and throw sporadic elbows.

The only time Tito's been in exciting fights is when his opponent can shut down his takedowns and force him to fight. Back around the times when he was on top though, the level of opposition couldn't do that.

Thoughts?

Cheers for the info regarding UFC 25. As a completist I am going to make time to watch it, but as I didnt care for the previous two Japan cards I wasnt looking forward to this one as it is, so it might be a case of a fight here, a fight there.

I havent seen any Tito from the time frame you specified (doesnt he have a dull 5 rounder against Matyushenko?), although I thought he looked great in his prior fights when he was getting started such as against Bohlander and Mezger II, plus the one against Frank until his cardio let him down.

• Paid Members

Just finished watching my UFC Top 100 fights boxset , 26 hours of awesomness. Great to see some of the older fights from the dark days of UFC (seems a lot of people on here had the same problems of finding the events as me from UFC 20ish first time round). Same complaints as everyone made when the list was initially made that its very selective, No Frank Shamrock and no fights with Ortiz winning which is a shame. Because I bought it region 1 I decided to get The Ultimate Fighter Nog vs Mir seeing as its STILL not available in this country, man I forgot the awesomness of this series, Drunk Junie, Tom Lawlor, spunk Sushi, Big Nogs Happy face, some great fast paced fights and the legend that is Stankie the boxing coach