MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

when i first started getting into MMA i started getting them original Pride release DVD's from America, the Wandy fights with Hendo and Mezger were probably the two fights i watched the most, cracking little fights.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm not that up on Shooto either. I've seen Rumina Sato vs Caol Uno and a couple of Gomi and Sakurai's fights but that's it. I will have to check some of them fights out. Always keep meaning to get some old Pancrase/RINGS fights too cos I haven't seen a whole lot of them either.

That's a nice bunch of fights. Not just the obvious big name stuff too, there's plenty of rarer shit there.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

If we're talking MMA highlight videos, these are good too

Nick Diaz (Set to a song called 'Herbalist' which is fitting for Diaz :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uS2_QXT2HA...der&list=UL

Dan Henderson (Lunatic Fringe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCmRdLnXWU...der&list=UL

Rashad Evans (I'm not an Eminem fan but it fits here I think)

Jose Aldo (Pulp Fiction theme)

....and since I've been watching Wanderlei Silva a lot lately, here's a Wandy tribute (with a Sandstorm remix)

• Paid Members

"My fighting style is kneeing faces. All I guarantee is violence"

wanderlei_silva_1106555.jpg

Wanderlei Silva vs Kazushi Sakuraba 2

03.11.01 - Pride 17: 'Championship Chaos' - To Crown First Ever Pride Middleweight Champion

The big rematch and this is to crown Pride's first Middleweight (205lb) champion. Sakuraba continues his pro wrestling tribute entrances, this time he comes out as The Great Muta.

Sakuraba finds more success early on in this one and manages a few takedowns. Round is pretty close as Saku gets some takedowns and top position but Wand stays active off his back, even coming close with an armbar attempt at one point. Late in round 1, Saku tries for a guillotine but Wand picks him up and bodyslams him driving him shoulder first into the mat.

susumu23.jpg

The round ends with Wand in Saku's guard and the fight is stopped at the end of the round due to Sakuraba's shoulder being injured from the slam. Shitty way for the fight to end. Sakuraba was having a better showing and it was warming up nicely.

2m2fg53.jpg

Wanderlei Silva becomes the first ever Pride 205lb champion.

Full fight

http://www.mmavideofights.net/3751/wanderl...video-pride-17/

Wanderlei Silva vs Alexander Otsuka

23.12.01 - Pride 18: 'Cold Fury 2'

This one starts off really slow but picks up a bit towards the middle and end of the round. Otsuka had brief spells of success and landed the odd good punch but Wanderlei poured the pressure on as the fights wore on with some hard punches, kicks and knees and also managed some dominant positions on the ground.

I dunno if Wandy took this one a bit lightly or what but he didn't seem quite as up for this fight as most of his others. Credit to Otsuka for hanging in there so long though.

susumu20.jpg

Wand came out for the 3rd round looking more fired up and really put a beating on Otsuka. Takedowns, soccer kicks and knees to the face and Otsuka is bloodied up pretty bad. The fight is stopped by the doctor and Silva wins.

Full fight

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/LqjL4-GDOmI

Wanderlei Silva vs Kiyoshi Tamura

24.02.02 - Pride 19: 'Bad Blood' - Pride Middleweight Title

The Axe Murderer's first title defence comes against veteran of Pride and UWFi Kiyoshi Tamura. Wanderlei looks more into this fight. First round is one sided stuff with Silva landed the more effective strikes and getting the better positions on the ground.

Fairly early in round 2 Tamura tries a straight left hand and Wand dodges it and smashes him with a big right hook for the KO.

5ysq1wz.gif

Wand vs Tamura

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/dsVJklFZet4

Wanderlei Silva vs Mirko Cro Cop 1

28.04.02 - Pride 20: 'Armed & Ready' - Pride vs K-1 Special Rules

This was one of Cro Cop's transition fights from K-1 to MMA. In an attempt to make it fair to both fighters they fought under special rules. Intstead of the usual Pride time limits, this one was set for 5 x 3 minute rounds like K-1 title fights. Grappling was allowed but in the event of a rope break the fighters are re-started on the feet instead of on the ground in the middle of the ring. There are no judges so if the fight goes the distance it's automatically declared a draw.

Some quotes from before the fight

Wand: "I'm not afraid of any man on earth...I'll fight them all"

Stephen Quadros: "Will you have to win in a strategic way or in a violent way?"

Cro Cop: "I'm afraid I will have to do it in a violent way"

They don't really talk trash before this one but you just get the sense they really don't like each other.

The staredown was intense as fuck and Cro Cop's glare rivalled Wanderlei's for sheer hardness

670150415.jpg

The fight itself is just as intense. Each round Wanderlei seems to be fighting the more effective fight. He mixes up his striking attacks with takedowns to keep Cro Cop guessing. The only real success Mirko has at all most of the rounds is the odd body kick. But when they land they land fucking hard, like a baseball bat to Wand's ribs. Nasty.

Wand appears to be getting the better of the punching exchanges too and Cro Cop looks a bit shaken by some of the shots in rounds 2 and 3, Mirko doesn't really land much in the way of punches in this fight.

Round 4 was Cro Cop's best of the fight. He finally lands that left high kick but not flush. He defended Wand's takedowns and unleashed more brutal bodykicking.

They show a close up of Wanderlei's ribs after the round and it's not a pretty sight

wandyribs_display_image.jpg

The 5th is mostly Wanderlei though and he manages to keep Cro Cop at bay with jabs, leg kicks and takedowns for most of the 3 minutes.

The fight comes to an end and it's a draw. Although had there been judging for this it's hard to see any other result but Silva by decision. I had him winning every round but the 4th. A moral victory if nowt else. Good fight.

Can't find the full video of this online. All I can find is a version with the end missing and the pre fight video and entrances on Youtube here

Still pretty cool to watch but obviously the fight would be better.

Wanderlei Silva vs Tatsuya Iwasaki

28.08.02 - Pride/K-1: 'Dynamite 2002'

Over 90,000 people at Tokyo National Stadium for a massive show pitting the some of the top stars of Pride and K-1 facing off. Wand makes quick work of a chubby little Japanese bloke. Drops him with knees, takes his back and hits him for a bit, then when he got bored of that he got up and put Iwasaki away with a kick and some punches on the ground. Short and sweet.

susumu01.jpg

Fight here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzEJ-QDUsY

Wand quote of the day, giving advice to Brock Lesnar;

"You need time to adapt your face to receive the punch"
Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Said it before but thanks for putting these posts together, they really are fantastic. It always used to annoy me how often he would fight without defending his title, I really felt at the time it devalued it somewhat but that really was just how Pride was operated

• Paid Members

yeh Pride had a weird way of running, they really rolled out the cans for Wanderlei though...cans might be overly harsh, but they literally threw any Japanse fighter in the ring with him in hope that someone would land a hail mary shot and become a hero. Wanderlei just destroyed them all.

• Paid Members
Said it before but thanks for putting these posts together, they really are fantastic. It always used to annoy me how often he would fight without defending his title, I really felt at the time it devalued it somewhat but that really was just how Pride was operated

Cheers. Yeah I don't get why the belt wasn't on the line more to be honest. Guys like Otsuka weren't a threat to the title so they might aswell have put the title on the line for fights like that anyway.

yeh Pride had a weird way of running, they really rolled out the cans for Wanderlei though...cans might be overly harsh, but they literally threw any Japanse fighter in the ring with him in hope that someone would land a hail mary shot and become a hero. Wanderlei just destroyed them all.

That's the way I look at it aswell. I've seen people bash Wanderlei and say "He fought a bunch of cans in Japan" as if he was ducking someone. The only top guys he never fought at the time really were Shogun (his training partner) and Little Nog. I think it was more a case, like you said, of them trying to find any Japanese fighter who could stop him. After he wrecked Sakuraba they needed a new star and threw pretty much every Japanese fighter they had at Wand in the hopes it would happen.

If you look at who he fought there, this idea some people try to put across that Wanderlei was scared of anyone is ridiculous. Aside from fighting 'Japanese cans' he fought Dan Henderson twice, Rampage twice, Arona twice and even got in there with a heavyweight Cro Cop in his prime twice. Even now he only wants the top fighters.

Even a guy like Yuki Kondo who is usually lumped in with the 'cans' was a tough fight on paper. In Kondo's next Pride fight after Wand crushed him he went to a very close decision with Hendo. Kondo was pretty good back then but people look back now and he's had a bunch of losses to unknowns so they say he was a can.

Wand was a beast back in 2001 - 2004. That was his absolute prime and I'd put him up against anyone the UFC had at 205 back then and I'd pick him to win most of them.

• Paid Members

Yeah Chuck always had a good style to beat Wanderlei. Wand being so wild and wide open was great for a straight punching counter striker like Chuck. I think Wanderlei would have done better if the fight had happened back in 03 though, especially under Pride rules.

I think of all the UFC 205ers from that time, Chuck and Randy would give him the most trouble. A Tito rematch would have been tough too. I think back in 2003-05 he'd have wasted guys like Babalu, Griffin and Bonnar. And at that point I think he'd have beat Belfort too. The first time they fought was before Wand hit his peak. By 2004 Vitor was in a rough patch and Wand was at his best, if they fought then I'd pick Wanderlei. But now Wand's gone past his prime and Belfort's got a second wind in his career and looking better than he has in years. I think Vitor's gonna go 2-0.

It's a shame Wandy and Belfort were never in their peak at the same time. Although I think I'd pick a prime Vitor over a prime Wanderlei as much as I don't like admitting it. Better boxing, better boxing defence and better wrestling imo.

Vitor is just a horrible match up at Wanderlai at any point, but like said above I would pick Wanderlai to beat Vitor in 2003-2005.

I also agree that he would wreck Babulu, Grffin and Bonner from that time frame and maybe even Tito if they rematched. Couture vs Wandy stareoff at UFC 48 is a cruel tease looking back, I think it would be very hard to call.

• Paid Members

in response to the Wanderlei post, Hiromitsu Kanehara is a perfect example of them one them stupidly brave Japanese fighters who probably should have had the sense to say 'no' once in a while. Over a 4 fight stretch the dude fought Wanderlei, Crocop, the Reem & Shogun. Crazy.

Hiromitsu-Kanehara.jpg

a nutter.

The first Wandy/Yoshida fight is an MMA classic too, when Yoshida decides to stand and trade with Wanderlei the Japanese fans lose their minds.