MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
I have seen Extreme Fighting II & IV, and II is an awful card. IV on the otherhand (if it is the one that features the debuts of Kevin Jackson and Kenny Monday) is the polar opposite and is really worth making the effort to see. I am pretty sure I still have that on an old NTSC video somewhere. I will post some more detailed thoughts on II in the morning when I dig out my matchlistings and notes.

In regards to the WEC, dont the prelims eventually air on the Wrekcage show on Versus? I have got the first two seasons, and am pretty sure there was a season 3.

I noticed on the Extreme Fighting DVD I have the listings are a bit off.The Hume vs Paulson fight is listed for EF 2 on there when it was on the third show.The DVD I have is a 1 disc DVD with just the best/main fights from the 4 EF shows so maybe(hopefully) I'll be spared the crap fights.

I watched some of it last night and like Mikey pointed out it looks dated but the fights,for the most part,have been enjoyable.

The Hume vs Paulson fight was an excellent technical fight.Sadly it ended on a cut in the 3rd round but it was a good fight.

I did see the Carlos Newton fight you mentioned aswell.Not the worst fight I've seen but a bit disappointing,especially how it ended with Newton just tapping because of exhaustion.

ive got the Extreme Fighting 1-4 DVD, i watched it years ago when i was just starting to become a diehard, i remember them having Sperry listed as being something like 150-0 on there, doing the old 'BJJ matches included' thing, he fights Igor Zinoviev...it's abit of an MMA classic.

Even worse Sperry was billed at like 270-0 :laugh:

Sperry-Zinoviev was the reason I bought the DVD because I'd heard it was great.I thought it was a really good fight,especially for the time.I couldn't believe that one escape Igor pulled off,Sperry had him mounted and he somehow managed to sweep and turn him over straight into a guillotine.

Bit odd for someone with 270 fights to freak out and tap just because he got a cut though ;)

• Paid Members

I'm skint at the minute and that offer on MMAUniverse is gonna end before I next get paid.I wanted to get the K-1 Dynamite and Hero's DVDs,looks like I'll be paying full whack now :angry:

On the subject of past fights I watched UFC 37.5 last night.I'd bought it about a month or so ago off ebay but only just got chance to watch it.

This was the card

Chuck Liddell vs Vitor Belfort

Benji Radach vs Nick Serra

Pete Spratt vs Zach Light

Robbie Lawler vs Steve Berger

Tony Fryklund vs Rodrigo Ruas

Yves Edwards vs Joao Pierini

Decent show,basically a Fight Night show before they were called Fight Nights with a big main event.

Liddell vs Belfort was a good fight and very close.Chuck nicked it with the knockdown at the end.And man,Rogan's pro Chuck bias was so bad here you'd swear Chuck was dominating like Anderson was against Forrest.Seriously people complained about the Shogun-Machida commentating but this was far worse IMO.

I gave Vitor round 1,Chuck round 2 and I had Belfort slightly winning round 3 until the knockdown which tipped the round in Chuck's favour.

One thing that disappointed me was the Lawler-Berger fight was clipped down.It looked like a fun fight and the DVD is shorter than most so it's not like they didn't have time.I'm sure I read that the full fight was aired on some big station in the US so maybe that had something to do with it.

Rest of the card is decent/pretty average.Yves Edwards neck kicks the shit out of Joao Pierini,and fucks up his shoulder somehow forcing the stoppage quickly,Fryklund dominated and pounded out Ruas(Marco's nephew),Spratt pulls off a quick armbar on Zach Light.And Radach-Serra is a pretty one sided three round decision for Benji.Nick Serra had no stand up and kept just dropping to his back.

ive got the Extreme Fighting 1-4 DVD, i watched it years ago when i was just starting to become a diehard, i remember them having Sperry listed as being something like 150-0 on there, doing the old 'BJJ matches included' thing, he fights Igor Zinoviev...it's abit of an MMA classic.

Even worse Sperry was billed at like 270-0 :laugh:

Sperry-Zinoviev was the reason I bought the DVD because I'd heard it was great.I thought it was a really good fight,especially for the time.I couldn't believe that one escape Igor pulled off,Sperry had him mounted and he somehow managed to sweep and turn him over straight into a guillotine.

Bit odd for someone with 270 fights to freak out and tap just because he got a cut though ;)

Kinda reminds me of the David vs Goliath tournament from UFC 8, where Don Frye faces Thomas Ramirez. Ramirez is introduced as being 'undefeated in over 200 challenge matches on the Islands' but the far lighter Predator knocks him out in 7 seconds. Not that I am questioning things but....

The Liddell vs Couture trilogy was awesome. It took Chuck a lot less time to beat Randy than it did Randy to beat Chuck, and he did it dominantly the second and third time. Don Frye vs Tank Abbott at the Ultimate Ultimate '96 was actually entertaining. Tank came ridiculously close to winning. He caught Frye with a punch that should've knocked him out but instead woke him and led Frye to beat the hell out of Abbott. Ultimate Japan & Brazil were quite good Frank Shamrock getting a submission victory in about a minute or so and Vitor raping Wanderlie Silva in 44 seconds. And of course Randy's comeback bashing Sylvia was amazing I nearly cried.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

finally viewed Cage Rage 22 on DVD...as a whole show, i found it very entertaining (i was there on the night, this is the first time ive watched it since). Cage Rage's match-making is very PRIDE-esque, the match making is very inconsistent and you tend to get real high level fights mixed in with strange freak show type fights, a few legends and a few domestic battles.

q5wr8gnfCR22.jpg

anyway's if you were to check out Cage Rage you could do far worse than to watch this show first. As i said on the previous page, the production of the show is very good, great camera angles during the fights, well lit, improved commentary team, you can't complain.

As for the fights:

* Zaromskis/.Mason is a Cage Rage classic, well worth your time if you can track it down. There's a highlight reel of the fight on youtube. Just two guys throwing all kind of funky strikes at each other, and a crazy finish.

* Thompson/Grove is classic James Thompson! he comes out swinging, misses and gets knocked out. I remember on the night i couldn't fucking believe this. Grove was unheard of and was replacing Cabbage on like a days notice. Great memories.

* Butterbean/Tengiz is a decent main event too (Cage Rage had a habit of putting 'names' in the main events against domestic fighters, it was kind of their way of legitimising the homegrown fighters, even though the opponents were always waaaay past their prime). Tengiz here looked decent, outboxing the slug before getting and smashed the Bean on the ground. Worth seeing to witness Butterbean resemble a tortoise on his shell when attempting to get up.

* Smiler Turner shocked everyone by beating Edson Drago, who at this point was being tipped for stardom. Drago looked a beast until gassing, but this was a good scrap. It's impossible to hate Gary Turner, if only he'd gone into MMA at a younger age, probably would have been in the UFC.

* Even though Mario Sperry made short work of Lee Hasdell, i was awesome to see The Zen Master fight in the flesh, that kind of shit gives me goosebumps...legend.

* I should have realised i hated James McSweeney from here (instead of later in TUF), cause he looks a right cunt. He does that 'easy' shrug after smashing Mark Buchanan. I don't like James McSweeney.

Honestly there aint a bad fight on the card, there's a few quick finishes and a few wonky mismatches but there's nothing i'd define as boring or poor.

I've recently bought 10 Cage Rage DVD's, ive only seen bits and pieces off most of em so im looking forward to checking em out with a beer in hand.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members
* Zaromskis/.Mason is a Cage Rage classic, well worth your time if you can track it down. There's a highlight reel of the fight on youtube. Just two guys throwing all kind of funky strikes at each other, and a crazy finish.

* Smiler Turner shocked everyone by beating Edson Drago, who at this point was being tipped for stardom. Drago looked a beast until gassing, but this was a good scrap. It's impossible to hate Gary Turner, if only he'd gone into MMA at a younger age, probably would have been in the UFC.

Zaromskis vs Ross Mason was a really good fight if I remember right.

I haven't seen too much Cage Rage,just certain fights here and there and a couple of shows from the Sky Sports/Nuts TV days.Need to pick up a few of them shows because a lot of the fights were very exciting.

It was just those 2 bald twats that put me off Cage Rage to be honest.

Agreed on Gary Turner,big fan of the old Smiler.I remember he used to be on the kickboxing show 'Now Is The Time..' a few years back on Five.Seems a nice bloke and very intelligent too.

• Paid Members

On the subject of MMA companies I need to see more of does anyone know where to find good quality RINGS footage?Youtube ain't cutting it for me and I'd love to get hold of some early Fedor,Nogueira,Henderson,Randy etc.

Also Pancrase is a bastard to find in good quality aswell.

• Paid Members

if you get the Cage Rage dvd's you can view them without seeing any of the 2 bald twats (i actually don't Geer, he's pretty clueless but hes nowhere near as annoying as O'Donnell), by just skipping the prefight presentation.

I recommend you check a few shows out.

• Paid Members
if you get the Cage Rage dvd's you can view them without seeing any of the 2 bald twats (i actually don't Geer, he's pretty clueless but hes nowhere near as annoying as O'Donnell), by just skipping the prefight presentation.

I recommend you check a few shows out.

:) That's the beauty of DVDs I suppose.

I will deffo be checking some out just not sure what shows are best to start with.MMAUniverse only have about 8 or 9 Cage Rage DVDs.Which ones would you recommend?

What does everyone think was the best Pride Tournament to refresh anyones memory

2000 HW - Coleman wins features Kerr,Fujita and Igor

2003 MW - (LHW in UFC) - Wanderlai wins fetures the first Rampage and Liddel fight

2004 HW - Ends in a No Contest after Fedpr gets cut against Nog in the final, one where Randleman knocked out Cro Cop

2005 - Shogun emerhgance, Arona finally faces Wanderlai

2006 - Open Weight - Cro Cop kicks ass beats Barnett in final, Wanderlai and Nog also in it

I enjoyed 2006 the most as I was routing for Barnett as I was a huge fan of his back in the day, it also had Cro Cop at his peak knocking out Wanderlai and Wanderlai himself destructing Fujita there were a lot of mismatches and the two MW ones in 2003 and 2005 probably had more competive fields but still 2006 is still my favorite