MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Haha yeah Magnum, Marshall was a tank back then. Looked a lot different. I loved that fight, I thought they'd have done a rematch for sure by now.

Olaf/Polakowski is a crazy fight. Every MMA fan needs to see it. That Stiebling vs Riggs fight, fuck. I went in not even knowing it happened so I didn't know the result or really have any especially high expectations. Unbelievable fight.

I dunno if I will work through them all at the moment. Deffo want to at some point but I'm currently catching up on this years Bellator stuff you and Ebb recommended.

Great review enjoyed reading it will you be reviewing any other shows?

Cheers mate. Yeah I'll chip in now and then if I see something I think is worth recommending. I reviewed all the UFC Fight Nights from 1 to about 20 earlier in this thread aswell. Among other shows.

Edited by wandshogun09

Haha yeah Magnum, Marshall was a tank back then. Looked a lot different. I loved that fight, I thought they'd have done a rematch for sure by now.

Olaf/Polakowski is a crazy fight. Every MMA fan needs to see it. That Stiebling vs Riggs fight, fuck. I went in not even knowing it happened so I didn't know the result or really have any especially high expectations. Unbelievable fight.

I dunno if I will work through them all at the moment. Deffo want to at some point but I'm currently catching up on this years Bellator stuff you and Ebb recommended.

I was trying to avoid giving away too much information, but yeah, if you were blown away by Steibling/Riggs, Steibling does it again in the WEC.

After all the talk in the Bellator thread I am also in the process of picking up the Summer Series and Season Five. I've seen Season Four but all I've watched from Five is Alvarez/Chandler. I'm getting the shows sent from the US, so hopefully they'll provide some festive viewing as I try to get on top of all this year's MMA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched the Yarrenoka 2007 show earlier which was the first New Years Eve show since Pride folded. I'd seen some of the fights before but never watched the whole show.

Some good stuff on this one. Rules are similar to Pride but soccer kicks and stomps are illegal :angry:

Mike Russow vs Roman Zentsov

Russow looked good here, came out took Zentsov down quick and made short work of it finishing with a North South choke in a couple of minutes.

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Luiz Azeredo

This was a bit of a disappointment for me. I'd never seen this fight and I expected good things from it having watched some of their other fights, especially both of them vs Gomi in Pride. Kawajiri just dominates with wrestling and ground and pound for the decision win. Not a bad fight but a bit of a letdown.

Murilo Bustamante vs Makoto Takimoto

Well fuck me, after that last fight disappointing this one was a great little unexpected gem. Never heard anything about this fight and knowing both guys styles I kind of expected a slow moving, cautious ground fight. Wrong. This was great fun.

Murilo started off great and his boxing looked very good early on. Always thought his boxing was underrated since he fought Chuck Liddell to a close decision. Anyway, they inevitably end up on the ground and the grappling is excellent. Never a lull in action and there's some close submissions from both and some nice Judo throws from Takimoto.

Late in the fight Takimoto really goes for it and actually drops Bustamante with punches and seems the stronger fighter towards the end. At the very end of the fight Bustamante almost locks up an armbar but it's not to be.

Takimoto wins a split decision in a very enjoyable fight. I loved this one.

Gilbert Melendez vs Mitsuhiro Ishida

This was another really good fight. Ishida was relentless and his wrestling seemed to be too much for Melendez through much of round 1. Melendez does some damage in the round though and slams Ishida on his head from the back at one point which looked nasty. Some really good grappling again and a lot going on. Real good fight.

Ishida takes the decision in impressive fashion and this was Melendez' first loss. He avenged it in their Strikeforce rematch a couple of years later with a TKO win over Ishida.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Kazuo Misaki

Crowd is firmly in Misaki's corner still pissed at Akiyama over the alleged greasing incident in the Sakuraba fight a year before.

Another exciting fight. All stand up this time and they trade leg kicks and punches for the first few minutes. Akiyama dropped Misaki but he recovered quick. Then Misaki landed a left hook that floored Akiyama and as he went to get up Misaki KO'd him with a kick to the face.

e0064858_210487.jpg

The fight was ruled a KO for Misaki but was changed to a No Contest because Akiyama's hand was down when the kick landed and he was deemed a grounded opponent, making the kick that ended the fight illegal.

Fedor Emelianenko vs Hong-Man Choi

I remember at the time of this fight people were clamouring for Fedor vs Randy and hoped it would happen on this card. Randy's legal problems with Zuffa fucked that one up and instead we got this

fedor-hong-man-choi-yarennoka_display_image.jpg

To anyone not familiar with Choi, yeah that is a real pic not a photoshop.

This was a pure freakshow fight, the type of fight the Japanese love. Everyone was hoping for Fedor vs Randy or maybe Josh Barnett and I remember a lot of negativity about this fight being made. The fight didn't last long. Fedor tried a couple of unsuccessful takedown attemps right away and Choi landed a couple of shots on him on the ground marking Fedor's face up. Then Fedor from the bottom slapped on an armbar and ended it in under 2 minutes.

Ahujena-paka-19-5.jpg

As ridiculous as that pic looks, again, it's not a photoshop.

After the fight we're treated to Jean Claude Van Damme of all people congratulating Fedor in the creepiest embrace of all time

jcvd.gif

Makes me shudder

Hayato Sakurai vs Hidehiko Hasegawa

Not much to this fight. Sakurai takes an easy decision win. Nothing much happened really.

Shinya Aoki vs Jung Bu-Kyung

Main event time. Odd that Jung was put in the headliner despite this being his MMA debut. That's Japanese matchmaking for you. Suppose they wanted to end the night with a highlight reel Aoki sub. Didn't work out but it was a good fight.

Jung really impressed me here, he was able to hang with Aoki on the ground throughout the fight even coming close on a couple of armbar attempts. Aoki was a class above though and got the better of most of the grappling and took the win on points.

Good showing for Jung given he was thrown right in the deep end first time out. On the strength of his performance here I looked him up to see how he's done since expecting him to have found his groove somewhere in one of the Japanese promotions. I was surprised to see he's only had 3 fights since then and still yet to win although all were against decent/good opposition. He's 0-4 in MMA now and hasn't fought since '09. If he'd been brought up slowly I think he could have been decent. Japanese matchmaking.

Good show. Had a bit of everything. They did well considering they didn't have a whole lot of names to work with since the UFC bought Pride and took most of the top stars.

If you're gonna watch anything from this one check out Bustamante vs Takimoto and Melendez vs Ishida. Both really fun fights.

• Paid Members

the most ridiculous Choi fight was when he fought Kaoklai Kaennorsing in K-1, there used to be some insane pics of that fight but none seem to exist online anymore (i sent one into Bizarre! magazine when it happened), here's the video of the 'fight'

Choi vs. Kaoklai

Kaoklai was the most exciting K-1 fighter in the world for about 5 mins back in the day, the crazy little bastard fought in the heavyweight GP desite being about 170lb (how the hell did that work??) i'll never forget him KO'ing Mighty Mo, at a time when Mo was granite.

• Paid Members
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Kazuo Misaki

Crowd is firmly in Misaki's corner still pissed at Akiyama over the alleged greasing incident in the Sakuraba fight a year before.

Another exciting fight. All stand up this time and they trade leg kicks and punches for the first few minutes. Akiyama dropped Misaki but he recovered quick. Then Misaki landed a left hook that floored Akiyama and as he went to get up Misaki KO'd him with a kick to the face.

e0064858_210487.jpg

The fight was ruled a KO for Misaki but was changed to a No Contest because Akiyama's hand was down when the kick landed and he was deemed a grounded opponent, making the kick that ended the fight illegal.

yeh that's one of the great 'good vs. evil' fights in MMA. Akiyama committed the ultimate sin and cheated against the legend, and beat him up in the process so Misaki was basically there to take revenge, and he did. The fact that he didn't win mattered not, he KO'd the bad guy. Great stuff.

it's weird that the whole episode has pretty much been forgotten since Akiyama's come to the UFC.

• Paid Members

Watched a few cracking little 'under the radar' type fights yesterday that people might wanna give a watch.

Paul Kelly vs Troy Mandaloniz - UFC 95

This was a wild scrap. Very much like Kelly vs Taylor fight. Got off to a stupidly fast start. I thought my telly was fucking up they were moving so quick. As the fight wore on Kelly started landing some fuckin brutal body punches and Troy was doubling up every time and wincing. Then Kelly started taking him down and from there he really put a beating on him. Slicing him up with elbows like in the Paul Taylor fight. Troy came dangerously close on a few sub attempts from the bottom but that seemed to piss Tellys off more and he would continue dropping elbows until the fight ended and Kelly won the decision.

This was how Troy's face looked after the fight (he's on the left obviously ;) )

n559815968_2023454_3883.jpg

TJ Grant vs Ryo Chonan - UFC 97

This was a really good fight. Never really expected it to be as good as it was. Pretty much all grappling and never a dull moment, full of submission attempts and transitions non stop. Interesting clash with Grant's BJJ vs Chonan's Judo and some top notch grappling from both in this one.

muk0hx.gif

29z7gud_medium.gif

Grant's someone who's not that well known but he's got some real skill both in stand up and on the ground. He's had some excellent prelim fights over the years against the likes of Johny Hendricks, Kevin Burns and recently with Shane Roller. Check them fights out if you haven't seen 'em and this one with Chonan too.

Luiz Cane vs Steve Cantwell - UFC 97

Another one from UFC 97. That show has been remembered for the awful Silva vs Leites main event but aside from that it was a really good show.

This was totally different from the Grant/Chonan fight on the same card. This was all stand up. Another clash of styles with Cane's Muay Thai vs Cantwell's Tae Kwon Do style. Really close fight, a war all the way with both guys eating some big shots flush and it still somehow went the distance. Cane took the first, Cantwell took the second and the third was pretty much up in the air. I had Cane very slightly edging it and so did the judges. Great stuff from both here.

Rafael Dos Anjos vs Terry Etim - UFC 112

This is another one that has kinda been forgotten in the midst of a shit main event, this time Silva was stinking it up vs Demian Maia.

Anyway, a good technical fight. Etim locked up a guillotine early in round 1 but Dos Anjos is a different beast altogether than Edward Faaloloto. He patiently waited for an opening and made his escape. Etim's ground game has always been really good but it was clear he was in a bit of bother in this one when Dos Anjos was on top.

Etim was able to land some decent strikes in round 2 but Dos Anjos took him down, got to side control and perfectly set up the armbar. You could see the level of BJJ in Dos Anjos in the way he set it up. He made it look like he was going for a kimura then switched to an armbar and pushed Etim's hands apart with his foot which allowed him to straigten the arm. Tremendous submission.

20apct3.jpg

Felt bad for Terry. This was his first time on a PPV main card and he got finished for the first time in his career. Then got injured and started the 18 month layoff which he's only just returned from.

Good fights there. I'd seen them all bar Grant/Chonan already but they were all better than I remembered.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I Sky+'ed UFC 101 the other night and gave it a quick look last night. Not that good a card in all honesty but the last 2 fights saved it from being a letdown.

Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin doesn't need anything much else said about it.

332cia9.gif

jpuh7c.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1.gif

Ridiculous. Gotta be the most scarily dominant display of striking in MMA history.

And the main event BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian was more one sided than I remembered.

All Kenny does is try to hold BJ against the fence. He was obviously trying the GSP gameplan but Kenny has neither the size advantage or wrestling ability of GSP and it failed miserably. Just delays the inevitable. Nothing else he tries works.

3829066795_c87f9ea16c_o.gif

Near enough every time BJ lands a punch it rocks Florian, he stuffs all of his takedown attemps and when he decides it's time to end it he just slams Ken-Flo down and moves from mount to the back and sinks in a choke for the tap in round 4.

Again, like Dos Anjos' armbar on Terry Etim, the way BJ sets up the choke is top level stuff. Kenny's a BJJ blackbelt himself and BJ just overwhelms him.

PennvsFlorianGrappling.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.gif

Quick thought on Penn

I've always thought BJ should have stayed training with Marv Marinovic. He was under Marinovic for just 2 fights, Florian and Diego Sanchez, and they were probably his 2 most dominant and impressive wins and physically he never looked in better shape.

Them 2 fights were BJ Penn at his full potential and I think that's because BJ for once wasn't in charge of his training and Marinovic pushed him and had him doing all kinds of stuff he'd never done before. This was also the time where everyone started thinking BJ was unbeatable at 155.

He split from Marinovic after the Diego fight (if it ain't broke....?) and went on to lose 2 in a row to Frankie Edgar immediately. Not saying the result would have been different if he stayed with Marinovic because Frankie fought his arse off and always had the speed to trouble Penn. But why change a winning formula?

If you could somehow go back and have someone (doesn't have to be Marinovic) in charge of BJ's training for his whole career I'd be interested to see what his record would look like now. People talk about a 'motivated/unmotivated BJ Penn' as an excuse for when he loses but I think it's more down to him always wanting to run his own camp which holds him back sometimes.

Edited by wandshogun09