MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

Ironically, for guys who weren't worthy, both Serra and Lutter did better than anybody expected. Had Lutter got his house in order, Anderson Silva could have just been that really good fighter who wasn't as good as he looked.

If they brought back the Comeback and did it in a way where the winner got a number one contender's match rather than a title shot, it wouldn't receive half the shit the original did.

• Paid Members

Yeah Lutter fucked himself by not keeping himself in shape. The 2 biggest fights he ever had were Anderson and Franklin and he gassed in both after a strong start.

Just forgot another highlight of TUF 4...

Rich Franklin's 'take a knee advice' to Matt Serra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyy_B0ZHGfU

and Serra retelling the Franklin advice

and while I'm at it, I love this..

Serra on Shamrock's coaching on TUF 3

• Paid Members

Matt Serra is the man.

oh and Travis Lutter is one of them guys who never realised his potential, he never seemed to really have the heart for the game but he could hang with the best when he was fresh.

• Paid Members

The "We got 'da Hamma'" piss taking of Shamrock starts from the very first fight pick in season 4. I genuienly forgot just how great a season it was. You also have the start of the Serra / Hughes hatred and the legend that is

vs a wall (Also I love Burnett's busy eyes, thoses things are always moving like hes watching a tennis match) Sad things ended up so bad for him

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Alright this is not technically MMA cos it stems from a kickboxing match but seeing as they're both in the biggest MMA company in the world at the moment I think the Michael Bisping vs Cyrille Diabate online feud could make for some interesting discussion.

I dunno how familiar people are with this but I'll try and cover it all here.

Basically it all started when the 2 met in under kickboxing rules on an old Cage Warriors show in May 2005. They had a pretty good fight and Diabate walked away with a decision win.

managed to track down the video of the fight here

http://www.mmalinker.com/videos/view/11828...ng-vs.-Cyrille-

Then a year or so later in 2006, Diabate had just fought Shogun in Pride and Bisping had just finished filming as a contestant on TUF 3 and was training for his finale fight with Josh Haynes when this thread popped up on Sherdog.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/bisping-v...312/index4.html

Started innocently but soon decends into a full on bitch fest with Bisping and The Snake trading posts back and forth at each other amongst the mouth breathers on Sherdog. Makes for some funny reading if you've got nowt else to do.

After that they crossed paths on TUF 9 where Diabate was one of Hendo's coaching staff and Bisping was coaching the other team. And then Diabate was asked by Fighters Only about the Bisping vs Rivera spitting thing.

FO: Before you signed with the UFC you were part of the USA coaching team for The Ultimate Fighter 9 with Michael Bisping (Team UK) and Dan Henderson (Team USA) as opposing coaches. What did you make of Bisping actions during and after the Rivera fight?

I

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

never knew anything about the Diabate/Bisping thing. I know you brought up the Mike Pierce-Rick Story thing, that hopefully will lead to a fight.

One of the better known feuds is the Rich Clementi-Melvin Guillard one, those two guys f'n hate each other, they've fought to settle it and that didn't work, they still f'n hate each other. Guillard has sucker punched Clementi outside the cage at some point and has claimed if they ever bump into each other on the street, they are throwing down.

here's a bit about it.

Nate Diaz-Kurt Pellegrino do not like each other. Not sure what that stems from though.

oh, and who can forget the Donald Cerrone-Jamie Varner feud, that was f'n epic. I was following that thing for about a year before the rematch, it was like a proper wrestling build up.

oh, Donald Cerrone-Cole Miller, Donald Cerrone-Mac Danzig... :laugh:

never knew anything about the Diabate/Bisping thing. I know you brought up the Mike Pierce-Rick Story thing, that hopefully will lead to a fight.

One of the better known feuds is the Rich Clementi-Melvin Guillard one, those two guys f'n hate each other, they've fought to settle it and that didn't work, they still f'n hate each other. Guillard has sucker punched Clementi outside the cage at some point and has claimed if they ever bump into each other on the street, they are throwing down.

here's a bit about it.

Nate Diaz-Kurt Pellegrino do not like each other. Not sure what that stems from though.

oh, and who can forget the Donald Cerrone-Jamie Varner feud, that was f'n epic. I was following that thing for about a year before the rematch, it was like a proper wrestling build up.

oh, Donald Cerrone-Cole Miller, Donald Cerrone-Mac Danzig... :laugh:

Nate Diaz and the members of Cesar Gracie's camp hate anyone who leaves their camp or disrespects it, Pellegrino falls into that catorgory.

Here is a video of them, skip to around 1.20

They all despise Tyson Griffin for going to Xtreme Couture.

• Paid Members

Haha forgot about the Nate Diaz/Pellegrino stuff.

Nate talks about it here

and

6 second video of Nate Diaz saying 'Fuck You' to Pellegrino :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkPfRj71qmw

The fight they had at one of the Fight Night's in 2008 was a really fun little forgotten fight aswell. It's remembered for the Nate 'flexing to camera' triangle choke but it was great aside from that, non stop from start to finish. Kurt was fucking him up in round 1 and then Diaz rallied back to pull off the sub in the 2nd. Excellent fight.

• Paid Members

I watched WEC 9 this morning. Just what I needed after waking up with a bastard of a hangover. I got a cup of coffee, a bacon sarnie and settled down in the front room with my quilt :thumbsup: I feel better now.

Anyway this was the first time I'd seen this. I'd seen Olaf/Polakowski and highlights of Leben KOing Swick but that's it. Turned out to be a cracking show.

Few highlights

WEC 9: 'Cold Blooded'

Anthony Gonzalez vs Pedro Tome

This didn't take long. Gonzalez KO'd Tome brutally with some nasty ground and pound in about 2 minutes. Tome was completely fucked and the refs had to hold him still cos he was kicking out at them.

Doug Marshall vs Lavar Johnson

I'd seen a few of Marshall's fights and I'm familiar with Lavar from Strikeforce so I was expecting good things from this. I got my wish, these 2 really went for it. Lavar was getting the better of it early and nailing Marshall with some HARD shots. Marshall ate them and never even went down somehow.

93.jpg

Then the fight took a turn and Marshall crushed Lavar's 'Johnson' and his love spuds with a hard knee. The ref calls time. The action restarts and it happens again resulting in another time out and Marshall getting pissed off at the ref.

Fight restarts again and now Marshall is cracking Lavar with big punches to the head. The round comes to an end and Lavar's corner stop it. Marshall wins but Lavar got the better of most of the fight.

Shame we never got a proper finish. One of the longest one round fights in MMA and a ton of fun to watch. Felt like the fights in the early UFC's. I'm sad to discover they never had a rematch :angry:

Tiki Ghosn vs Nick Gilardi

Bit of trash talk from Gilardi calling Tiki a "cocky son of a bitch". Fight was short and Tiki actually won by submission after Gilardi slams him and Tiki gets a guillotine. Rampage's Manslave (as Rashad calls him) wins.

Olaf Alfonso vs John Polakowski

This one's been praised on here countless times, I can't really add much to it other than if you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to watch it.

wec9-polakowski-alfonso.jpg

Watch it

http://www.mmatko.com/olaf-alfonso-vs-john...ht-video-wec-9/

This was Polakowski's MMA debut and he took it on a few hours notice after a pullout. Interesting trivia fact - before appearing on TUF 8, Polakowski had only had 3 MMA fights (record was 2-1) and all 3 were against the same man. Olaf Alfonso. He hasn't fought since the TUF 8 finale where he was submitted by Roli Delgado.

Crazy fight and one of my favourites in MMA history. Dana White and Chuck Liddell are sitting front row and it's been said Dana was so impressed by the fight that Polakowski got on TUF based off this fight.

WATCH IT!!

Yves Edwards vs Deshaun Johnson

Basically just 3 rounds of target practice for Yves here. He got criticized for not being able to finish which has some merit, Johnson was there for the taking, especially the last 2 rounds. But he was tough and took a lot of flush shots and hung in there. Reminded me of Donald Cerrone vs Vagner Rocha from this year. Some of Yves' combinations looked great but he couldn't put Johnson away and took a very one sided points win. I gave him 10-8 for round 3 and round 2 might have been aswell.

Joe Riggs vs Alex Stiebling

I never even knew about this fight but I'm fucking glad I've seen it. Round 1 is pretty much all Riggs. They both go flying out the cage door one one takedown attempt. Riggs gets a takedown and absolutely batters Stiebling with some of the most vicious ground and pound I've ever seen. The fight is very close to being stopped at the end of round 1 and Stiebling looks wobbly going back to his corner.

Round 2, Riggs again is dominating. He gets a big slam Matt Hughes style and goes back to work blasting the shit out of Stiebling's bloody, bashed up face. Some scary punishment being dished out, I knew Riggs had heavy hands and I've seen him drop some nasty shots from the guard but this was brutal to watch. You could hear literally every fucking punch and elbow thudding off Stiebling's head and making his head bounce off the canvas. I wouldn't have blamed the ref for stopping it, it looked like a massacre. Then out of nowhere Stiebling threw up a triangle and Riggs tapped. I couldn't believe it.

One of the most shocking comebacks in MMA history easy for me. If you looked at them after the fight was over you'd swear Riggs won. Stiebling was still lying in a bloody heap and looked dead. Riggs was standing up with no damage apart from a fucking sore elbow.

Amazing. I wanted to post a link for the fight but couldn't find a video of it. If you can find it, get it and give it a watch.

Mike Kyle vs Jude Hargett

Another short fight. Kyle goes for the takedown despite Hargett being a BJJ artist. He nearly pays for that with Hargett coming close on a couple of Kimura attemps. Kyle then puts him away with some punches for the 1st round TKO.

Chris Leben vs Mike Swick

I remember this fight causing quite a stir when the 2 went into the TUF house for Season 1. Leben was winding him up about it and Swick was a bit of a tart about the whole thing I thought.

Leben/Swick TUF trash talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMq17TaVQyk

The fight in question is pretty good actually. They go back and forth in round one, mainly working from the clinch and Swick gets a nice takedown. Then Leben drops him and takes his back and almost gets him in a rear naked choke.

Round 2 starts with Swick doing what Swick does. Coming forward, chin up in the air, flailing wild arm punches and hoping one lands.

It didn't work out

87.jpg

89.jpg

Excellent show.

Edited by wandshogun09

It's about 3 years since I last watched WEC 9 so I had to check out my notes on the show. You've actually commented on all the fights I made notes (including the Tome/Gonzalez opener) on so only a few things to add.

When I watched this it was interesting so see Doug Marshall fighting at 260lbs, considering at the time I was also watching his current fights where he was down to 205 and looking like a completely different person. I had Johnson winning the slugfest until the succession of low blows, and his corner resultantly throwing in the towel. Had to smile and think of karma when Marshall fought Tim McKenzie at WEC 19 and the fight was halted for 5 minutes as Marshall was on the receiving end of an accidental low blow.

If you plan on working your way through the early WECs, this is not the only time that Alex Steibling pulls a miraculous victory out of the jaws of defeat.

Oh, and Olaf/Polakowski is just incredible. Go watch it now if you haven't already and see Dana White give these guys a standing ovation after every round.