MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

I think Pride 2005 grandprix is widely considered the best, ive just rewatched it all and despite a slow first round, the rest is epic. Great stuff and a great cast of fighters.

What i will say is, people always seem to think that this was the tounrnament where Shogun dominated. It's not true, he killed Rampage and Arona in the first rounds and finals, but he was getting handled by Overeem until Alistair ran out of gas, and its debatable whether he beat Lil Nog, many say he didn't. Having said that, it was unbelievable showing by Shogun, he showed if anything that he has huge heart and cemented that deadly killer instict he has. But it wasn't the dominating performance many would have you believe.

As for Final Conflict 2005, i will say that the Arona/Silva fight was a lot better than i remember. I always remember Arona lying on Wanderlei for a boring decision, but Arona stood with Wanderlei for much of the fight, and only took Wandy down once, the other's were from a kick and slip. Arona was busy on the ground and beat Wanderlei up. Wanderlei was as much to blame for not pulliing the trigger standing, because Arona gave him plenty of oppurtunity.

I remember Shogun had problems with Overeem both times they fought.

The Shogun-Nogueira fight was really fucking close and if they gave it to Nog I wouldn't have had a problem with it to be fair.Could have been a draw but they needed a winner with the tournament format.Just a really close,awesome fight.

You're right though,it wasn't the blowout it's remembered as but it was a great run of performances over some very tough opponents.

The Arona vs Wanderlei fights I recall being pretty boring but I haven't seen them for a long time.Hate to admit it but I remember thinking Arona won both fights and that Wand got real lucky with the judges in the second fight.

Yeah, I think Shogun/Nogueira was super close. The stand up was even and on the ground was even. I think Shogun probably deserved the win due to the takedowns in which he dominated. Still my favourite match of all time and I'm so excited at the possibility of a rematch.

The Arona.Wandy matches were very boring. In my opinion Arona won both matches. He was able to put and keep Wandy down for the entire match and showed why he's never even dropped a point at ADCC. Can't wait to see him in the UFC with elbows! :)

Watched the first two fights of UFC 1 and enjoyed em both, for different reasons.

I could watch Gordeau's kick all night. The bizarre thing about that for me was that Tuli watched the entire thing take place. He watched the foot come and kick him right in the eye, and he did absolutely nothing to block it or move. Rabbit in the headlights. I'm glad he didn't move though.

Rosier vs. Frazier was all sorts of fun, with two guys just wailing on each other. I loved when the lightbulb went on in the head of Rosier and he realised "shit, I can stomp !" and then started laying in.

• Paid Members

Harold Howard im pretty sure got busted for armed robbery not long ago, he's fucked.

The thing with a the old UFC's were, a lot of the guys come in claiming to be 'the master of their marital art' and all that shit, surely not. Did some of them bullshit to get there? cause some of 'em aint got a clue. Haha, it's fun to watch though.

I always remember the pre-fight interviews where they explain what they do and it would always get me pumped.

• Paid Members
I think Pride 2005 grandprix is widely considered the best, ive just rewatched it all and despite a slow first round, the rest is epic. Great stuff and a great cast of fighters.

What i will say is, people always seem to think that this was the tounrnament where Shogun dominated. It's not true, he killed Rampage and Arona in the first rounds and finals, but he was getting handled by Overeem until Alistair ran out of gas, and its debatable whether he beat Lil Nog, many say he didn't. Having said that, it was unbelievable showing by Shogun, he showed if anything that he has huge heart and cemented that deadly killer instict he has. But it wasn't the dominating performance many would have you believe.

As for Final Conflict 2005, i will say that the Arona/Silva fight was a lot better than i remember. I always remember Arona lying on Wanderlei for a boring decision, but Arona stood with Wanderlei for much of the fight, and only took Wandy down once, the other's were from a kick and slip. Arona was busy on the ground and beat Wanderlei up. Wanderlei was as much to blame for not pulliing the trigger standing, because Arona gave him plenty of oppurtunity.

I remember Shogun had problems with Overeem both times they fought.

The Shogun-Nogueira fight was really fucking close and if they gave it to Nog I wouldn't have had a problem with it to be fair.Could have been a draw but they needed a winner with the tournament format.Just a really close,awesome fight.

You're right though,it wasn't the blowout it's remembered as but it was a great run of performances over some very tough opponents.

The Arona vs Wanderlei fights I recall being pretty boring but I haven't seen them for a long time.Hate to admit it but I remember thinking Arona won both fights and that Wand got real lucky with the judges in the second fight.

The Arona.Wandy matches were very boring.

wouldn't say the first one is boring, it is if you wanna break it down in terms of action, but i thought the matchup was intense, you can sense the desperation seeping in towards the end of the bout too. I thought Arona schooled Wandy. Wanderlei kind of gets up after the fight and shrugs as if to say 'why did you just lie on me?' but Arona stood up for at least half the fight and actually got the better of the standup.

Arona with elbows could be nasty. I just hope if he does come into the UFC, he comes in fully prepared. He's been so inactive :(

2005 I havent seen all the way through but I did enjoy the Shogun vs Lil Nog fight when I saw it on men and motors back in the day

2004 has a pretty dire line up as a whole Ogawa makes in too the semis and Giant Silva he quaters for gods sake and with Stefan Leko and Henry Miller and a blown up Ninja Rua involved the bad as just as much as the good

2003 is awsome all round the only bad fight I can remember is Rampages stinker with Bustamante (when he was sill reconized as UFC mw champ)

I was slightly let down by the 2006 open weight GP. Granted, the Big Nog/Barnett match was an all-time classic but apart from that the matches were quite poor. It doesn't help that the winner was given the easiest path imaginable to the final which left a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

I have started watching UFC 24 'First Defence', and bar one fight it is nothing great so far.

Jens Pulver vs David Velasquez opens the disc and Pulver enters the cage wearing wrestling boots. Its pretty much total dominance from the future Lil Evil who uses his superior boxing skills to earn an eventual 2nd round TKO. This was followed by the best fight on the card (of what I have so far watched) where Tiki (and even back then he had that strange dyed goatee) faced Bob Cook. Tiki was dominating this one standing and putting the hurt on Crazy Bob, that is until Cook finally got the fight to the ground and from there quickly forced the tap. Fabiano Iha vs Dane Menne was nothing memorable, and that was followed by Lance Gibson Sr vs Jermaine Andre. Andre was a Muay Thai practioner and actually showed some fairly decent ground defence in order to escape from a couple of submissions (an armbar especially looked as though it would be the end) from the Pankaration fighter Gibson. The ending was a nasty KO after a knee to the chin of Andre, that sees him just fall face first to the canvas and he then gets worked on by the medical staff after for a bit. They then aired one of the prelims which was the UFC debut of Shonie 'Hurricane' Carter against Brad Gumm, and Carter at this point had already had almost 35 MMA fights. It should be noted that Carter fights this match in attire similar to Zach Ryder wears. I will post about the rest of the show when I have finished up watching it.

• Paid Members

its cool that the 'dark era' UFC shows finally got released on DVD (UFC's 20-34 i think the shows are). I picked up my first double pack 25 & 26. I ain't seen much of any of them shows really. Quick note, the packaging for these from fightdvd is shocking, the biggest throw together job ive ever seen:) at least their out.

• Paid Members

Fedor vs Crocop at Final Conflict 05 is an absolute epic. The only time where the two top heavyweights in MMA faced off and you can sense it, the whole fight has a special feel about it.

Great fight too, Fedor is a fucking machine.

haha, holy shit! ive never seen that before. Pure street fight.

Is it just me or did the big guy look slightly retarded?

Well after this fight he went on to slam the UFC after he pulled out after this fight due to a damaged hand and claim he would beat a BJJ fighter in a "easy fight"

Unfortunatly that bjj fighter was a 18 year old Vitor Belfort who wiped the floor with him in his MMA debut

He was never heard from again

Fedor vs Crocop at Final Conflict 05 is an absolute epic. The only time where the two top heavyweights in MMA faced off and you can sense it, the whole fight has a special feel about it.

Great fight too, Fedor is a fucking machine.

Just reminded me, I watched Shockwave 2004 on thursday night. That had the 2 top HWs in the world and Fedor just absolutely dominated Nog standing up. Hands by his side it was just a spectcular performance.

Also had the last great performance by Wanderlei where he fought at an 80lb disadvantage against Mark Hunt. I thought he won the fight but they gave it to Hunt. A fun little fight which saw the Atomic Butt Drop!! huntsatomicbuttdropud4.gif

Gomi and Pulver put on a great stand up battle which shows how good Gomi can be. Cro Cop beats Randleman and Anderson Silva gets flying heel hooked!

The first few fights are boring as hell but the top half of the card is highly reccomended.