MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i'm rusty because i cant really remember a lot of the older ones in terms of fights, im going back to em one-by-one.

I think Pride 2005 grandprix is widely considered the best, ive just rewatched it all and despite a slow first round, the rest is epic. Great stuff and a great cast of fighters.

What i will say is, people always seem to think that this was the tounrnament where Shogun dominated. It's not true, he killed Rampage and Arona in the first rounds and finals, but he was getting handled by Overeem until Alistair ran out of gas, and its debatable whether he beat Lil Nog, many say he didn't. Having said that, it was unbelievable showing by Shogun, he showed if anything that he has huge heart and cemented that deadly killer instict he has. But it wasn't the dominating performance many would have you believe.

As for Final Conflict 2005, i will say that the Arona/Silva fight was a lot better than i remember. I always remember Arona lying on Wanderlei for a boring decision, but Arona stood with Wanderlei for much of the fight, and only took Wandy down once, the other's were from a kick and slip. Arona was busy on the ground and beat Wanderlei up. Wanderlei was as much to blame for not pulliing the trigger standing, because Arona gave him plenty of oppurtunity.

If I were you Haraga, I wouldn't bother starting at UFC 1 and going through them all.

Get the first few to see Royce Gracie do his thing, but after that i'd jump ahead to maybe UFC Ultimate Japan and start from there.

The events up to that point are pretty poor to be honest.

I'm downloading UFC 1 and I'm gonna be working through the shows.

Is there any shows and fights in particular I should be looking out for.

Must see fights from the first 20 shows:

UFC 5 Ken Shamrock vs Royce Gracie (you need to sit through this for all the wrong reasons!)

UFC 6 Tank Abbott vs Oleg Taktarov

UFC 9 Amaury Bitetti vs Don Frye

UFC 9 Dan Severn vs Ken Shamrock (another you need to sit through for all the wrong reasons)

UFC 14 Mark Coleman vs Maurice Smith

UFC 15 Vitor Belfort vs Randy Couture

UFC 17 Dan Henderson vs Carlos Newton

UFC 18 Bas Rutten vs Tsuyoshi Kohsaka

Good fights, nasty finishes, or stuff you should just watch

UFC 1 Teila Tuli vs Gerard Gordeau (brutal kick to the face in this one)

UFC 2 Patrick Smith vs Scott Morris (vicious finish)

UFC 4 Melton Bowen vs Steve Jennum

UFC 6 Tank Abbott vs John Matua (Tank lives off this fight for the next 15 years)

UFC 8 Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrara (vicious finish)

UFC 10 Don Frye vs Mark Coleman

UFC 11 Tank Abbott vs Scott Ferrozzo

UFC 12 The debut of Vitor Belfort

UFC 16 Mikey Burnett vs Eugenio Tadeu

UFC 17 Mark Coleman vs Pete Williams (awesome KO)

UFC 19 Jerry Bohlander vs Tito Ortiz

UFC 19 Tito Ortiz vs Guy Mezger

UFC 20 Pedro Rizzo vs Tra Telligman

If I were you Haraga, I wouldn't bother starting at UFC 1 and going through them all.

Get the first few to see Royce Gracie do his thing, but after that i'd jump ahead to maybe UFC Ultimate Japan and start from there.

The events up to that point are pretty poor to be honest.

I've had that warning harry, but I'm fairly determined.

I really want to see every UFC show, and then I can move onto WEC and Strikeforce's back catalogue if I can find 'em.

all the old UFC's are worth viewing for some reason or other, but fight quality wise some of them are the pits.

You seriously think so?

The bits that are worth seeing are not worth sitting through the entire show for in my opinion.

All that "there are no rules" bullshit get's real old after you see some of the shit fights.

I always enjoyed the 2005 Pride Welterweight and lightweght torunament which was held through one Bushido event (9 I think) with the finals at that years Shockwave. In fact, I'd rate that Bushido show as probably the 3rd best event ever put on by Pride. Pride 25 and Final Conflict 2003 being the only shows I'd rate above it.

• Moderators
Good fights, nasty finishes, or stuff you should just watch

UFC 1 Teila Tuli vs Gerard Gordeau (brutal kick to the face in this one)

UFC 2 Patrick Smith vs Scott Morris (vicious finish)

UFC 4 Melton Bowen vs Steve Jennum

UFC 6 Tank Abbott vs John Matua (Tank lives off this fight for the next 15 years)

UFC 8 Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrara (vicious finish)

UFC 10 Don Frye vs Mark Coleman

UFC 11 Tank Abbott vs Scott Ferrozzo

UFC 12 The debut of Vitor Belfort

UFC 16 Mikey Burnett vs Eugenio Tadeu

UFC 17 Mark Coleman vs Pete Williams (awesome KO)

UFC 19 Jerry Bohlander vs Tito Ortiz

UFC 19 Tito Ortiz vs Guy Mezger

UFC 20 Pedro Rizzo vs Tra Telligman

Distinct lack of Don Frye vs Thomas "Winner of 200 bare knuckle fights on the island, and Pakua Chan exponent" Ramirez from UFC VIII there. Same for Fred Ettish showing the world how it should be done in UFC II.

• Paid Members

I'd throw in Keith Hackney vs Emmanuel Yarbrough from UFC 3.Wild fight and brutal finish.

In fact almost anything involving Keith Hackney from the early UFC's is worth checking out IMO.His fight with Royce was surprisingly competitive if I'm remembering right.

• Paid Members
I always enjoyed the 2005 Pride Welterweight and lightweght torunament which was held through one Bushido event (9 I think) with the finals at that years Shockwave. In fact, I'd rate that Bushido show as probably the 3rd best event ever put on by Pride. Pride 25 and Final Conflict 2003 being the only shows I'd rate above it.

Agreed x100.The LWGP in particular from Bushido 9 is,in my opinion,the best of all the Pride GPs.

There's bigger names in the other GPs and some classic fights like Shogun-Little Nog but from a pure fight quality perspective the 2005 LW tournament had more great fights than any other.

Distinct lack of Don Frye vs Thomas "Winner of 200 bare knuckle fights on the island, and Pakua Chan exponent" Ramirez from UFC VIII there. Same for Fred Ettish showing the world how it should be done in UFC II.

For some reason the moustached wonder that is Fred Ettish had slipped from my mind. I suppose if you have a spare 7 seconds in your life you could check out the Predator/Ramirez fight.

• Paid Members
I think Pride 2005 grandprix is widely considered the best, ive just rewatched it all and despite a slow first round, the rest is epic. Great stuff and a great cast of fighters.

What i will say is, people always seem to think that this was the tounrnament where Shogun dominated. It's not true, he killed Rampage and Arona in the first rounds and finals, but he was getting handled by Overeem until Alistair ran out of gas, and its debatable whether he beat Lil Nog, many say he didn't. Having said that, it was unbelievable showing by Shogun, he showed if anything that he has huge heart and cemented that deadly killer instict he has. But it wasn't the dominating performance many would have you believe.

As for Final Conflict 2005, i will say that the Arona/Silva fight was a lot better than i remember. I always remember Arona lying on Wanderlei for a boring decision, but Arona stood with Wanderlei for much of the fight, and only took Wandy down once, the other's were from a kick and slip. Arona was busy on the ground and beat Wanderlei up. Wanderlei was as much to blame for not pulliing the trigger standing, because Arona gave him plenty of oppurtunity.

I remember Shogun had problems with Overeem both times they fought.

The Shogun-Nogueira fight was really fucking close and if they gave it to Nog I wouldn't have had a problem with it to be fair.Could have been a draw but they needed a winner with the tournament format.Just a really close,awesome fight.

You're right though,it wasn't the blowout it's remembered as but it was a great run of performances over some very tough opponents.

The Arona vs Wanderlei fights I recall being pretty boring but I haven't seen them for a long time.Hate to admit it but I remember thinking Arona won both fights and that Wand got real lucky with the judges in the second fight.

Hackney is a total fucking legend. As is Harold Howard. He was a fucking king.

Dont know how many are aware but Hackney actually tried out for Season Four ('The Comeback') of TUF, but they didnt consider him.

My lasting memory of the mulleted Howard was from his pre-fight video, where he is shown opening up sandbags due to the power of his punches. I remember (at the time) thinking he was one tough fucker.