The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How much are you looking to spend? You can get a refurbished s7 for around £150, which might end up actually being your phone that was nicked.

As little as is humanly possible, hence why I'm willing to get an older and shitter phone. I've had a bunch of unexpected expenses this month and this is really not what I needed.

• 6 months later...

My iPhone battery has had it. I'm not surprised as I've had the phone at least 4 years but it's done. It goes from 100% to 1% just like that, and actually decreases whilst it's charging!!! At the moment it ran out whilst I was out and has been charging 2 hours and still hasn't come back on.

What are my options here? Can't really afford a new phone, and Apple the absolute jokers quoted me £169 as the screen is cracked as well. I've tried putting it in a bowl of rice as well and that didn't work.

Is it easy to change the battery yourself?

7 minutes ago, David said:

Won't Apple change the battery for you? I got a battery change six months ago and it cost me £49. 

They will but like I said, as the screen is cracked they told me that would have to be done as well. Something about a suction device that takes it off (kennethwilliams.jpg)

12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

They will but like I said, as the screen is cracked they told me that would have to be done as well. Something about a suction device that takes it off (kennethwilliams.jpg)

Ah, okay. Never knew that was a requirement for changing the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

is your sim too small or too big? If it's too small you can get an adapter for pennies at Carphone Warehouse (or amazon I'm sure)

if it's too large contact your provider and they'll send you a replacement sim of the correct size.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Through clumsiness I've accidentally deleted an app from my Android phone - there's a space on my home screen where an icon used to be - and I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. It's driving me mad. Is there an activity log I can view somewhere, somehow?

I've checked the full list of apps in case it only had its shortcut removed, but there's nothing interesting there that isn't still on the home screen. Therefore, whatever it was has definitely been uninstalled.

To complicate matters, it might not even have been an app but rather a webpage shortcut. Who knows. But if that's the case I imagine it'll be even harder to trace.

It'd be easy to say I won't miss something I don't remember having, but it must've been useful as my home screen's quite tightly curated, contrary to the impression given here...

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members

I've been using my trusted Galaxy S7 for about 5 or 6 years now. The phone is really starting to slow down and from what I understand, its no longer receiving updates. 

I'm totally out of the loop and would rather not spend several hundred quid on a new phone. 

Is the S10 worth buying in 2022 or should I be lookin for something newer? 

• Awards Moderator
On 4/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Silky Kisser said:

I've been using my trusted Galaxy S7 for about 5 or 6 years now. The phone is really starting to slow down and from what I understand, its no longer receiving updates. 

I'm totally out of the loop and would rather not spend several hundred quid on a new phone. 

Is the S10 worth buying in 2022 or should I be lookin for something newer? 

If you want everything premium, sure. But Samsung's A range is mid-price and good performance, skimping on things like a plastic case and dropping chips like NFC. So it depends what you want from a phone.

Upgraded from an iPhone 7 to the iPhone 11 as a birthday treat to myself in the week, still getting to grips on it but impressed so far. The only nitpicks I have are the address bar on the web browser being at the bottom of the screen, not having a home button and having to get used to holding the screen to swipe off apps and the fact that I had to buy a USB-C plug separate as Apple don’t provide plugs for their newer model phones these days

• Awards Moderator
25 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

the address bar on the web browser being at the bottom of the screen

FFS. This is one of those Apple things that's going to cross the aisle and become standard isn't it? 

10 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Upgraded from an iPhone 7 to the iPhone 11 as a birthday treat to myself in the week, still getting to grips on it but impressed so far. The only nitpicks I have are the address bar on the web browser being at the bottom of the screen, not having a home button and having to get used to holding the screen to swipe off apps and the fact that I had to buy a USB-C plug separate as Apple don’t provide plugs for their newer model phones these days

Click on the ‘two A’s’ to the left off the address bar. Gives you the option to move it to the top.