The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

A lot of my friends have HTC Hero, having previously owned an iPhone and claim the Hero is better. In terms of apps, one of my friend claims HTC Hero (android) has just as many, if not more apps than the iPhone.

• Moderators
Sounds interesting. My contract's up in November and the N900 is the front-runner, barring anything else that comes along which pulls my pants down. Reviews as you do new stuff would be massively appreciated.

Yesterday I watched the latest ep of South Park on TV through the tv-out of the phone, streaming it off the net whilst doing my ironing. I didn't give it long to buffer at all, and it was fine all the way through and never lost sync and the picture quality and framerate were good.

I also then watched an episode of the Cleveland Show which sucked, but the phone can hardly be blamed for that. Seriously not funny, although the 1 one song sang by his son was a good song ('balls deep in love').

There was something else cool I did with the phone yesterday but I forget what it was off hand right now..

Just got my HTC Desire today after numerous problems with my n900. Have to say im impressed so far and if HTC can stick to their guns and keep knocking out fantastic phone like this then Apple should really be worried that from the pack of phone makers (HTC, Nokia, Samung etc) there finally has appeared an iPhone killer.

I have a Hero. Liked it at the start but, as time has gone on, it has real reliability issues. It becomes unresponsive and then calls somebody random because you pushed the screen twice. It's also slow. Many of the problems are due to Android 1.6, which is buggy, and the phone not really being powerful enough for Android. I constantly have slowness which you just don't get on an iPhone. I have tried memory managers but sometimes you have to shut the phone down or simply lose your mind through it hanging and being so slow. I've hoped that a new version of Android would sort it out but they've dilly-dallied and we'll get an update this month, six months late. While it is interesting, I'm not completely in love with it.

I have a Hero. Liked it at the start but, as time has gone on, it has real reliability issues. It becomes unresponsive and then calls somebody random because you pushed the screen twice. It's also slow. Many of the problems are due to Android 1.6, which is buggy, and the phone not really being powerful enough for Android. I constantly have slowness which you just don't get on an iPhone. I have tried memory managers but sometimes you have to shut the phone down or simply lose your mind through it hanging and being so slow. I've hoped that a new version of Android would sort it out but they've dilly-dallied and we'll get an update this month, six months late. While it is interesting, I'm not completely in love with it.

Mikey, have you tried Googling something called the X Dev forums, theres loads of links on there to Andriod 2.1. Dont get me wrong the Hero is a good phone, just think that HTC saw it as a go-between till the Legend and Desire.

• Paid Members

I finally gave in a got a free upgrade to an iPhone. I hate Apple and have never owned any of their products until now. I've been playing with it for about 5 hours now and I've given myself a headache from staring at the screen too long. Seems cool. I've downloaded some cool apps including a live F1 timing one and a couple of games. I just need to get some sort of rubber cover for it now because knowing me I'll drop it and scratch it in no time.

After having the worst phone ever made (nokia n97) I have just ordered the desire, looks an amazing phone.

• 2 weeks later...
After having the worst phone ever made (nokia n97) I have just ordered the desire, looks an amazing phone.

I thought that, but its bloody buggy and has turned itself off twice so far lol!!! Have had a play with the Sony Ericsson X10 today and that looks a brill phone.

Been playing with the X10 at work for the past couple of weeks and it is a great phone but has THE WORST speakers ever on a phone. Unbelievably quiet with shit sound quality.

Upgraded my Curve to a bold 9700 last month and have never looked back.

If anyones interested in good phones, your best bet is the HD2 especially when the windows 7 upgrade comes in July.