the noughties metal/rock thread * nostalgia thread *

Egg Shen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I need to mention Finch's "What It Is To Burn".

I absolutely loved that album and can still listen to most of the songs repeatedly. "Perfection Through Silence", "Without You Here" and the title track are bloody awesome.

I always thought of Finch as a more chart friendly Glassjaw. Still like some of their songs though.

Well, I'm a chart friendly kinda guy, so that works.

iron-maiden-brave-new-world-cover-3599.jpg

Caleb.Iron.Maiden.Rock.In.Rio.jpg

iron_maiden-dance_of_death.jpg

matter_life_death_01.jpg

The Irons were unfortunately a bit hit and miss in the 1990s :

* No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark had some awesome songs but each had their share of filler. They certainly were nowhere close to the standard of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave, Piece of Mind or Number of the Beast.

* Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith left the band and were replaced by Blaze Bayley and Janick Gers. The lads popularity went into decline but I personally think The X Factor is an absolutely tremendous album from start to finish.

* Virtual XI was mostly very poor. I am an absolutely enormous fan of Maiden but I cant even bring myself to listen to The Angel and The Gambler.

Since Bruce and Adrian came back to the band at the end of the decade they are probably stronger now than in the golden era of the 80s. The reunion shows got incredible reviews, Brave New World was an absolutely tremendous album and the world tour that went with it was an enormous sucess, Rock In Rio is up there with Live After Death if you ask me, Dance of Death was another superb album and A Matter of Life and Death is one of the best albums the band has ever released.

I also cant leave out the Somewhere Back in Time tour. Seeing songs like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Powerslave, Aces High etc made their gig at Twickenham Stadium last year the best gig I have ever been to

UP THE IRONS :thumbsup:

"A Matter of Life and Death" is a cracking album, which really grew on me, but I'd say "Dance of Death" is the best album they've released this decade, and probably my favourite since "Seventh Son ...".

Not so keen on a Matter of Life and Death tbh. much prefer Dance of Death and Brave New World.. dunno why its just not got that appeal, though 'Blinded by a Thousand Suns' is amazing

Virtual XI has some good songs... Futureal/ Two Worlds Collide.. and The X factor... brill album. Blood on the Worlds Hands, 3 Am, Sign of the Cross, Lord of the Flies etc etc

• Paid Members

Municipal Waste and Andrew WK were the best things to happen to the noughties music scene.

Also Celtic Frost coming back after a 15 year hiatus with 'Monotheist' and it being able to compete with any current music in terms of how experimental and heavy it is.

Seeing Anthrax live with the original line-up was a dream come true, I love Joey Belladonna's vocals and I never liked John Bush, shame the reunion was so short lived.

Also The Age of Nero (2008) by Satyricon is one of my favourite albums of the decade.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Paid Members
Also The Age of Nero (2008) by Satyricon is one of my favourite albums of the decade.

ive bought that a couple of weeks back, never really got into them until i saw them live back in March, changed my opinion on them instantly.

• Paid Members

Lostprophet_y2j, I'm pretty sure that it was 2002's Big Day Out because I remember when we watched Amen at Reading that year you were talking about them and how it was so hot.

How could you forget that American Head Charge gig!? That was awesome. Great performance but some idiot dropped his phone in the middle of the pit and bits went everywhere. I remember thinking what a prick, and then I met you on the boat home and it turned out it was you.

So many amazing gigs at Wedgewood rooms, Mad Capsule Markets was insane, 36 Crazyfists, mushroomhead, My ruin. Did Amen play there or was it somewhere else? I still have that shirt somewhere.

Best Lostprophets performance I think was Hammersmith?? was it Hammersmith when you picked me up from college and you had that spare ticket so I dragged my bf along? Was it the same one that Glassjaw pulled out of? This is so long ago now :(

• Paid Members

i went travelled down to Wedgewood Rooms once, travelled down to see 3 Colours Red on their reunion tour, good stuff, good venue. I rememember camping somewhere in Portsmouth after it and having our fortunes told by a witch, i shit you not.

• Paid Members
i went travelled down to Wedgewood Rooms once, travelled down to see 3 Colours Red on their reunion tour, good stuff, good venue. I rememember camping somewhere in Portsmouth after it and having our fortunes told by a witch, i shit you not.

Did you go to Ken's Kebab House opposite the Wedge?

• Paid Members

Metal?

I liked "Last Resort" by Papa Roach, the Lostprophets album that had "Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja" on it, and "Toxicity" by System of a Down.

Do they count?

• Paid Members

no.

Did you go to Ken's Kebab House opposite the Wedge?

haha, quite possibly.

Archived