DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Fuck Taylor Kitsch. And his ridiculous name.

Whatever happened to actors and actresses earning the leads in mindless and/or shitty summer blockbusters by paying their dues in ropey straight-to-video sex comedies or TV movies about 14 year old girls getting pregnant by their PE teachers? I'd never heard of the twat before that Battleship fiasco.

Watched Inception this evening, it's shit.

Oh, you wanted a longer review?

Inception is a very long and boring film, where next to sod all happens and other than SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the James Bondesque set piece in the snow and the corridor fight

, it was shit. There are plenty of better ambiguous alternate reality films out there, including Total Recall and eXistenZ.

The narrative isnt complex as people would have you believe and though it is beautiful to look at, there isnt anything going on with it. I didnt care about the characters, what they did or the final outcome. There was no investment in it and the premise was dull as dishwater.

Avoid

I usually hate it when people have this attitude about films, but the worst part of Inception really is the unanimous praise it gets, it's so undeserving. I hate talking about that film with its fans because the worlds "incredible", "amazing" and "perfect" are used, none of which describe it accurately.

I didn't mind it, but the plot is badly structured and is almost....deep-for-the-sake-of-being-deep, for lack of a better term. For me, it's a likable cast and a decent watch, but nothing more.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen either of those. I'm not a huge fan of sports films as they all pretty much end the same way and take the same path.

Wildcats is good, though. Goldie Hawn's lovely in it, too.

Any Given Sunday is brilliant, Gladders. It isn't so much a sports film but a film with sport as a backdrop. Cameron Diaz is brilliant in it, totally against her usual type of role.

Also pat, you are bang on about Inception. I remember once on Facebook (yeah I know, I deserved everything I got) saying how I thought Christopher Nolan had made the two most overrated films of the last ten years. Cue fanboys getting all up in my grill. Fanboys who hadn't heard of Memento.

I haven't seen either of those. I'm not a huge fan of sports films as they all pretty much end the same way and take the same path.

Wildcats is good, though. Goldie Hawn's lovely in it, too.

Ive not seen Wildcats for years. It was a staple film for a bit on ITV in the early/mid 1990's. Any film that has House from the Police Academy series, Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson and Goldie Hawn cant be bad.

Best American Football Film, The Last Boy Scout? :)

Also pat, you are bang on about Inception. I remember once on Facebook (yeah I know, I deserved everything I got) saying how I thought Christopher Nolan had made the two most overrated films of the last ten years. Cue fanboys getting all up in my grill. Fanboys who hadn't heard of Memento.

Them Facebookers dont like it up 'em do they?

• Paid Members

I would imagine that I will watch it at some point what with it being an Oliver Stone.

Insomnia is still the only Chris Nolan film I've seen (it was really good) but I get the impression that it's the black sheep of his films to date.

For what it's worth, I loved Memento and The Prestige but I can see why people didn't like the latter.

EDIT

Yeah, I'd agree with you, johnnyboy.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Memento was ahead of his time, it would've done so much better 10 years later now most of us are over the big Hollywood names and bored of rehashed 80s remakes or prequels.