DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

It was ridiculous they never did a conversion of the arcade game, really. Or as far as I remember? It's fantastic, just played it recently.

Are you talking about the one where you have to get on top of those tanks and shoot your way through between levels? If so then yes that was one hell of a game, me and my friend shoved many 10p's into that Aliens arcade machine game in the chippy, we would beat the the game over and over, we would always argue who got to use the giant yellow power loader at the end, great game indeed, I'm sure that game was made by Konami as well, so yeah it is surprising it never made it on a home console, although I wonder what machine could have possibly run that game at the time, I think it was still the 80s or very early 90s, a port probably would have been a totally different game.

Still you made me think how sad it is that a great franchise like Aliens does not have much to shout about in terms in games, Aliens the arcade, AVP 1n2 from 1999 and 2001, and again AVP the arcade game by Capcom I think, those are the best imo.

That AVP game that cameout last year, was such a let down, I remember having so much fun on AVP2, but even that is better than the new one and its a ten year old game, its no wonder Ive seen it in PC World for a fiver, some places even 2 quid lol, I decided to replay AVP2 recently and still love the game.

Gearbox are making a new Aliens game, I just hope it turns out better than AVP 2010, so far it looks like it could be the best Aliens game ever.

As for movies I watched recently Conan the new one, which was shit, and Tekken the CG movie which was actually fun, dare I say on the same level as SF the animated movie and the last Fatal Fury movie.

I love who ever mentioned NightBreed 1st in this thread I've been trying to find out the name of this film for years

I remember randomly stumbling across it on BBC1 late at night ages ago and it's popped in my head a fair few times since but my random searches were no good

Got it downloaded so I'm gonna give it a watch now as I can't remember anything about it apart from an underworld of monsters

I love who ever mentioned NightBreed 1st in this thread I've been trying to find out the name of this film for years

I remember randomly stumbling across it on BBC1 late at night ages ago and it's popped in my head a fair few times since but my random searches were no good

Got it downloaded so I'm gonna give it a watch now as I can't remember anything about it apart from an underworld of monsters

The final scene with Decker is still DAMN scary. Also watch out for Ric from Casualty

• Paid Members

I've probably still got a dodgy VHS copy with barely any sound knocking about in one of the boxes in the attic. It's a film I always had a bit of a soft spot for, despite thinking it fell short of its potential.

• Paid Members
I've probably still got a dodgy VHS copy with barely any sound knocking about in one of the boxes in the attic. It's a film I always had a bit of a soft spot for, despite thinking it fell short of its potential.

Couldn't agree with you more on that. I think Clive Barker is one of those cases of someone who has genuine talent and is obviously a good writer but just seems to be missing something. He never really seemed to capture the same atmosphere he had in Hellraiser in any of his other films/screenplays and his other Directing efforts have had some great ideas that get lost amongst the rubbish. Saying that Candyman is a cracking film (probably due to the fact he didn't direct it)

Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back

As much I really enjoyed the first Star Wars, this one blows it out of the water. Darker, lots with despair, and interesting character development too. Watching Luke's journey and conflicts is the best part of this, for me, and a lot of credit has to be given for bringing Yoda, a puppet, to life so well.

Maybe it's because there's hardly any shock in the big revelation at the end now, given that just about everyone already knows it even without watching the films, but it did kind of seem like (albiet only initially) Vader could have been being disingenuous just to mess with Luke.

Anyway, easily one of my favourite films ever.

Edited by Vice

Couldn't agree with you more on that. I think Clive Barker is one of those cases of someone who has genuine talent and is obviously a good writer but just seems to be missing something. He never really seemed to capture the same atmosphere he had in Hellraiser in any of his other films/screenplays and his other Directing efforts have had some great ideas that get lost amongst the rubbish. Saying that Candyman is a cracking film (probably due to the fact he didn't direct it)

i DID enjoy Midnight Meat Train tho

• Paid Members

i DID enjoy Midnight Meat Train tho

Loved it. Even found Vinnie Jones watchable in it. Excellent role for him.

SPOILERS AHOY for 50/50

just watched 50/50. As someone with a close family member currently going through cancer, wasn't sure whether to watch it right now or wait but i'm a huge JGL fan and had heard great things about it. Glad I did as I thought the film wasn't too cutesy for a Hollywood film with Seth Rogen in it and tackled the most difficult topic very well. Some of the stuff really nailed the experience, at least from the perspectives of the loved ones of the patient coming too terms with it from the young man, Adam's perspective. JGL again was a joy to watch, and I'm greatful that he took on the project when James Macavoy pulled out last minute. Rogen did Rogen but was perfectly fine though I thought he was a bit callous at times. Anna Kendrick as his psychiatrist was really good too and not too ditsy where she was annoying. Some moments really made me laugh aloud like Adam's boss telling him at a party thrown for him following his news (funny in itself) that it's been nice knowing him. The focus on Adam having to shoulder how his friends and family felt and their perception of him was an interesting aspect, especially for me having had to break the news to people in my own experience and having to see their reactions. Very, very good, but I'm not sure if quite good enough for serious award contention for the main actors, though it might get a Best Film nomination if the next year is lacking in other entries.

I'm sorry to hear that. And yes, she was very good too though the lack of screen time she got put her out of my mind before when I was writing my original post and might hurt her chances to be nominated. Having just watched it, I felt at first that the dad's condition was slightly shoehorned in but it added something to the mother-son relationship, and really did also for when Adam goes into surgery but can't rely on his father for the support you would expect of a child going into surgery and instead has to give it instead, while at his most vulnerable moment.