DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I'm an old fart, too - not as much as you, mind, but still. It didn't ring true to me at all. I've seen dozens of films like this before. Gawky, bullied male lead character with quirky parents, love interest who is made pretty weird to try and cover some of the gap of her being otherwise way out of his league, peculiar support characters, classroom embarrassment.

It was slightly better in the second half, but mostly for Paddy Considine's bits. The ending was quite cute, too. And the acting was overall fantastic. Otherwise, same old shite, really.

4/10.

Edited by Gladstone Small

Just started watching DOA. In the first 10 minutes there's a Holly Valance fresh from the shower action scene, which pretty much makes it the greatest film I've ever seen.

I've watched all the Holly Valance bits on Mr Skin. Let me know if anything else good happens.

There is a pretty sweet fight scene where Holly and some other lass who is very nice to look at basically beat the crap out of each other fightclub style in the rain...... what more could you want?

• Paid Members

Watched Small Time Crooks. It's a Woody Allen film that was on BBC recently and I recorded for some reason. Can't rememebr the last time i watched a film from terrestrial TV?

Anyway, it was a bit odd but I quite liked it. It takes a while to get used to Allen's character and the fact he talks constantly in his scenes. I've no idea if that's an Allen trademark. The premise of the film is that a small time gang plan to rob a bank and open a cookie store nearby to act as a cover while they tunnel but the cookie store is a massive success. That part of the plot is over pretty quickly though, the real story is about Allen and his wife "Frenchie" and how having money changes them. She strives to better herself while he's happy to have a bit of money and wants to just enjoy it. His natural distrust of people turns out to be justified. It's an odd little film that moves quite quickly, has some sharp dialogue at times and is dull at others. Not bad though.

Just started watching DOA. In the first 10 minutes there's a Holly Valance fresh from the shower action scene, which pretty much makes it the greatest film I've ever seen.

I've watched all the Holly Valance bits on Mr Skin. Let me know if anything else good happens.

There is a pretty sweet fight scene where Holly and some other lass who is very nice to look at basically beat the crap out of each other fightclub style in the rain...... what more could you want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGs84_gC_MM

• Paid Members

had a nice lil run of movies over the Easter Weekend, saw 50/50, We Bought A Zoo & The Prestige and i enjoyed them all, all good for different reasons but id recommend them all.

I gave The Hunger Games a go last night. Half of it I really enjoyed and it was well paced. Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks were both great fun and Donald Sutherland looked menacing as fuck. I felt towards the end they tried to shoehorn certain things in that just didn't seem to fit to me, it just seemed a little forced. Though I understand it is what it is and I'm not exactly the target audience. One thing I really didn't like is the massive over use of shaky handycam, couldn't see fuck all a lot of the time. It's a 12A and a pretty violent one as it so its maybe used to avoid directly showing violence to keep the rating down. Overall it was.... interesting and worth a watch, but I'm not going to be in a hurry to see the sequel.

• Paid Members
ive never seen a Woody Allen movie, any recommendations on where to start?

Annie Hall. Manhattan Murder Mystery. Hannah And Her Sisters.

Can you please stop double posting as well.

ive never seen a Woody Allen movie, any recommendations on where to start?

Annie Hall. Manhattan Murder Mystery. Hannah And Her Sisters.

Can you please stop double posting as well.

Also see Manhattan (without the Murder Mystery), Sleeper and Love and Death.

Had a nice time watching Holiday on the Buses and Mutiny on the Buses on ITV3 over the Easter period. What a fucking show, even if the films are just extended TV episodes, really. Makes me sad that there were only 7 seasons and 3 films, which sounds ludicrous I know, but I could really watch it all day long