DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Watched the Steve Carrell movie Crazy Stupid Love and it was better than I thought. Some real laugh out loud moments which is hard to come by in those romantic comedy with bit of drama thrown in films of late. Can't see the fuss about Ryan Gosling because his acting is a little wooden.

It's actually a great film. I wouldn't say Ryan Goslings acting is wooden, it seemed more of a nonchalant approach which added to the chemistry. I also think it's Steve Carrell's best work since The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Saturday night on Channel 4 was interesting for films

Avatar- Was erm bobbins. Beautiful to look at, but bobbins nonetheless

Alfie (Remake)- Was utterly atrocious

Lost Days- Meandered without going through/over much other than being a (something, fogotten the word) for Kurt Cobain

• Paid Members
Saturday night on Channel 4 was interesting for films

Avatar- Was erm bobbins. Beautiful to look at, but bobbins nonetheless

Alfie (Remake)- Was utterly atrocious

Lost Days- Meandered without going through/over much other than being a (something, fogotten the word) for Kurt Cobain

That Alfie film was utter utter shite, it just seemed like an excuse to have Jude Law fart about with loads of different famous actresses, abysmal effort by all concerned, except Marisa Tomei :love:

• Paid Members
Watched the Steve Carrell movie Crazy Stupid Love and it was better than I thought. Some real laugh out loud moments which is hard to come by in those romantic comedy with bit of drama thrown in films of late. Can't see the fuss about Ryan Gosling because his acting is a little wooden.

It's actually a great film. I wouldn't say Ryan Goslings acting is wooden, it seemed more of a nonchalant approach which added to the chemistry. I also think it's Steve Carrell's best work since The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Maybe I've not seen enough Gosling movies. Carrell is fantastic, he was unbelievable in the Office.

Put me on the list of people who loved Crazy, Stupid, Love but then with a cast of Carrell, Stone and Gosling I was going to love it.

Just watched the original version of Rec, thanks to someone who uploaded it to YouTube with English subtitles. Absolutely terrifying; the last forty minutes I had to watch with the laptop screen slightly turned away. Really enjoyed it.

Is Rec 2 worth watching?

Just watched the original version of Rec, thanks to someone who uploaded it to YouTube with English subtitles. Absolutely terrifying; the last forty minutes I had to watch with the laptop screen slightly turned away. Really enjoyed it.

Is Rec 2 worth watching?

No. The first one was absolutely fantastic, but the second one sort of spoilt it I thought when I watched them back to back. I mean it wasn't horrendous, but they went in a different direction (very mild spoiler) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

a sort of religious, demonic curse

that was really naff. As is often the case with these sorts of things, the 'virus' is often better left unexplained, but I guess they felt if they didn't come up with an explanation then a sequel would be just exactly the same film again.

Edited by Sergio Bellend

Richie, you should find V: The Winged Serpent and also Alligator, both cracking monster movies set in the US.

Edited by Loki

Can't see the fuss about Ryan Gosling because his acting is a little wooden.

I thought the exact same thing in the absurdly overrated Drive (which is the only film I've seen him in, I think) but I assumed that in that, his character was meant to be an aspie or something.

• Paid Members

It's Q - The Winged Serpent, actually, as in Quetzalcoatl. And yes, American made. Q is by the impeccable Larry Cohen - he was on a heavy roll in the seventies and 80s, and although he took a step back from directing, he did write Phone Booth, which I personally loved.

Alligator is by Lewis Teague, and is dumb fun.

Watched the 80s version of 1984 with John Hurt, thought it was pretty good, saw quite a few faces from British Comedy in it like Gregor Fisher, Roger Lloyd-Pack and Shirley Stelfox. Is the 1956 version worth watching?

Edited by ukfan11