DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Moderators

I watched Red Eye the other night. A thriller from Wes Craven from 2005. It was fun; nothing special but nothing objectionable either... Cillian Murphy was good as the bad guy. I would agree with the IMDB rating of 6.5

Also I watched Dirty Dancing on tv last night.. I got kind of sucked in because I wanted to chill for a bit and it said it was over soon on the EPG. Turns out there was a news break and the film continued for another hour but by then I was already comitted. I've never seen the whole thing before; it wasn't too bad. Some real good songs in it as well (no, not 'time of my life'; that makes me think of the Sandals advert. But there are a bunch of good tunes in there).

• Paid Members

I think Redeye's final act spoils things a bit and turns it from great to just "pretty good". Old Wes couldn't resist the stalker/slasher movie ending and it wastes the great sense of tension and unease that builds up before that. Cillian Murphy really is excellent in it though.

Cillian Murphy. :love:

Red Eye also has the gorgeous Rachel McAdams and the godlike Brian Cox so I can forgive its tv movie tendencies.

Well gents, I was supposed to hit the town this weekend with my mate who was home from uni but he got sick which scuppered my going out and getting hammered plans. So we reacted in the only way we could to such a situation. We watched a bunch of dumb action movies.

First up was a trip to the cinema to take in Gamer, starring the rather bland Ger-ard Butler. It was between this and Surrogates. Frankly I knew both would probably suck, but I didn't care, I wanted the big screen and salty popcorn experience. Gamer is made by the directing team behind Crank, so I had mildly high expectations, at least from a frenetic action point of view. Sadly it's dull dull dull, Butler makes for the most charismaless lead I've seen in some time and it's just grey on top of grey.

It's not a total loss though, as Michael C Hall is a lot of fun, with his dancing/miming sequence to "I've Got You Under My Skin" being the highlight of his wacky performance. Alison Lohman is also in it and she's purty and the dickhead from Heroes cameos with a character with the greatest name of all time, that being "Rick Rape". Of course they do nothing with this character rendering said moniker a waste. Overall Gamer is like watching someone else play video games.

The popcorn was lovely though.

Saturday night and repeated attempts to get my mate out failed, so we hit the video store and kept the streak going. Inspired by Gamer we decided on Crank 2. I'd seen the first one and kinda loved it. For those who haven't seen either, it's basically Grand Theft Auto The Movie with everyone's favourite geezah Jason Statham running around doing mental shit for an hour and a half. Crank 2 is essentially more of the same and that's fine with me. Amy Smart is also in it which is always a plus. Bring on Crank 3 I say.

How do you follow such carnage? Easy. Make it a JASON STATHAM DOUBLE BILL. Death Race was up next, and it's gotten some pretty horrible reviews but it's really not all that bad. It's by the numbers sure, but the kills are fun and I wasn't bored. It also has what may be the hottest woman in the world, that being Natalie Martinez. For those who drool over Megan Fox and think she's amazing, forget that shit, rent Death Race and fall in love. Anyways, these two films made me realise something, that being Jason Statham, while he will never tread the stage on Oscars night, has more charisma than many of his pretenders, Ger-ard Butler included, and without him these films would likely be half as fun.

Take note Mark Wahlberg, as last night I rounded off my action experience with Max Payne. Not much to say here apart from when Chris O'Donnell is the best actor in the movie, it's worrying. It's pretty fucking dull, all things considered.

Next on my list? Waltz With Bashir. What? I needed something arty to wash down all the explosions.

Surrogates. It start off quite well, the robots are cool and so are some of the effects. The story even seems to be going somewhere, until the end just makes absolutely no sense. I seriously heard quite a few people in the cinema go "Eh?" as it ended. Not even wiki can tell me what happeend because it doesn't know itself

What the shit, dude? It's not a good film by any stretch of the imagination but the ending made perfect sense.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The old dude from Six Feet Under hated himself for creating the Surrogates and wanted to destroy them in order for everyone to go back to living normal healthy lives. He did this by taking over an FBI surrogate in order to gain access to the Surrogate system and unleash the virus from the Weapon. It's unclear as to whether he's made any plan to stop this from killing everyone at this point but after he kills himself and Willis takes over the FBI surrogate he makes that SysAdmin insulate everyone so they're not killed and then decides not to save the surrogates so he can have his wife back. Which seems to have been the entire point of the film.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I really quite liked the concept of the film and thought there was a lot of scope there for them to do something far more interesting than they actually did.

Also, I've just checked Wiki, which basically says what I've just said. So, what didn't make sense.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The gun is going to go off no matter what. He is given the choice to stop it going off/insulate, whatever, but chooses no, which sould kill everyone.

• Paid Members

watched Dances With Wolves last night, all 3 hours of it. I've decided to catch up on a load of movies i own but have never actally watched. This was fucking great. Probably fell into my top 10 ever, it's a slow, quiet film but the relationship between Costner and the Sioux is hard not to get swept up into. I loved it. Oh, and i wanted to pound Mary MacDonnell. Milf.

Cillian Murphy. :love:

Red Eye also has the gorgeous Rachel McAdams and the godlike Brian Cox so I can forgive its tv movie tendencies.

Well gents, I was supposed to hit the town this weekend with my mate who was home from uni but he got sick which scuppered my going out and getting hammered plans. So we reacted in the only way we could to such a situation. We watched a bunch of dumb action movies.

First up was a trip to the cinema to take in Gamer, starring the rather bland Ger-ard Butler. It was between this and Surrogates. Frankly I knew both would probably suck, but I didn't care, I wanted the big screen and salty popcorn experience. Gamer is made by the directing team behind Crank, so I had mildly high expectations, at least from a frenetic action point of view. Sadly it's dull dull dull, Butler makes for the most charismaless lead I've seen in some time and it's just grey on top of grey.

It's not a total loss though, as Michael C Hall is a lot of fun, with his dancing/miming sequence to "I've Got You Under My Skin" being the highlight of his wacky performance. Alison Lohman is also in it and she's purty and the dickhead from Heroes cameos with a character with the greatest name of all time, that being "Rick Rape". Of course they do nothing with this character rendering said moniker a waste. Overall Gamer is like watching someone else play video games.

The popcorn was lovely though.

Saturday night and repeated attempts to get my mate out failed, so we hit the video store and kept the streak going. Inspired by Gamer we decided on Crank 2. I'd seen the first one and kinda loved it. For those who haven't seen either, it's basically Grand Theft Auto The Movie with everyone's favourite geezah Jason Statham running around doing mental shit for an hour and a half. Crank 2 is essentially more of the same and that's fine with me. Amy Smart is also in it which is always a plus. Bring on Crank 3 I say.

How do you follow such carnage? Easy. Make it a JASON STATHAM DOUBLE BILL. Death Race was up next, and it's gotten some pretty horrible reviews but it's really not all that bad. It's by the numbers sure, but the kills are fun and I wasn't bored. It also has what may be the hottest woman in the world, that being Natalie Martinez. For those who drool over Megan Fox and think she's amazing, forget that shit, rent Death Race and fall in love. Anyways, these two films made me realise something, that being Jason Statham, while he will never tread the stage on Oscars night, has more charisma than many of his pretenders, Ger-ard Butler included, and without him these films would likely be half as fun.

Take note Mark Wahlberg, as last night I rounded off my action experience with Max Payne. Not much to say here apart from when Chris O'Donnell is the best actor in the movie, it's worrying. It's pretty fucking dull, all things considered.

Next on my list? Waltz With Bashir. What? I needed something arty to wash down all the explosions.

Thank God it's not just me. I keep watching critically panned Statham movies like Transporter or Crank and really enjoying them. He's probably the best action hero we've got right now, but the genre isn't built around big names like it was back in Arnie/Sly/Bruce's day.

On your recommendation Nev I will now watch Death Race. Isn't Paul Heyman in it?

seen Gamer at the weekend

the concept is very nice, big corporation using nano tech to allow poor people to be controlled by rich people purely for the fun of a game and money of course.

was there a message in the film? or was it just 60 minutes of motion sickness and 30 minutes of slutty inuendo?

the film didnt work. on one hand you have the message of everyone will do anything for money and power, and that the people who pay to have money and power are bad, discusting no moral people. Then on the other your aiming your film at those people who just paid to watch some things blowing up, people being killed and teenage twins showing off their breasts! The very people who you just tanned in the film! Very mixed messaging.

An excellent concept just a shame there were far too much spinning cameras and weak script points to make it worth anything.

• Moderators
seen Gamer at the weekend

the concept is very nice, big corporation using nano tech to allow poor people to be controlled by rich people purely for the fun of a game and money of course.

was there a message in the film? or was it just 60 minutes of motion sickness and 30 minutes of slutty inuendo?

the film didnt work. on one hand you have the message of everyone will do anything for money and power, and that the people who pay to have money and power are bad, discusting no moral people. Then on the other your aiming your film at those people who just paid to watch some things blowing up, people being killed and teenage twins showing off their breasts! The very people who you just tanned in the film! Very mixed messaging.

An excellent concept just a shame there were far too much spinning cameras and weak script points to make it worth anything.

I only heard 'teenage twins showing their breasts'. I'mma go see Gamer tonight!

• Paid Members
Watched True Romance for the 1st time last night and loved it, cant believe it took me this long to finally see it.

It always surprises me how many people haven't seen it. I pimp that movie to everyone. So many great scenes and indivudal performances, from Walken, Oldman and Hopper to an amazing Brad Pitt cameo where he makes something memorable out of a non-role that wasn't even a speaking part to begin with.

"Don't give me the finger, I'll have you killed!"

Anybody on here ever seen The Nines?

It was confusing, intriguing and kept me guessing all the way through.. very weird to see Ryan Reynolds cast in it too seeing as it was pretty recent.

Watched True Romance for the 1st time last night and loved it, cant believe it took me this long to finally see it.

It always surprises me how many people haven't seen it. I pimp that movie to everyone. So many great scenes and indivudal performances, from Walken, Oldman and Hopper to an amazing Brad Pitt cameo where he makes something memorable out of a non-role that wasn't even a speaking part to begin with.

"Don't give me the finger, I'll have you killed!"

"Don't con-den-send me maaan, I'll fucking kill you maaan".