The Student Thread

Steveo2007

I just decided to make this thread as I got the letter today confirming the date for enrolment and the events for Freshers week and it has all hit me now that this is really happening and I will become a full time degree student studying Law & Criminology. Is anybody else starting Uni this year for the first time or are there any second or third years looking forward to the work getting harder? What subjects do the UKFF members study in University and how are they finding their time in Uni?

• Paid Members

Well as a landlord to a student house i can say that they have not even moved in and one of them isnt paying....

That said the others will have to cover her cost if she or her parents dont pay up.

Students.............some good....................some bad..................all messy.

• Paid Members

I'm off into my 4th year of accounts and finance.

Its shit, 1st and 2nd were shit and the only good thing about the 3rd is i was working full time in a placement.

Its not the topics, i actually quite enjoy the concepts and what not, but its the pressure I put on myself, the fact that 75% of staff are un-coordinated arse holes and I hate most of the other students, who are either queer and still act like its school and the lectures "teacher" or they are stereotypical students. And there is always one or two cocks stood about pushing the communist party or stop the war now and seem really put out I'm indifferent to war to be honest.

I see it as a simple transaction, i want to buy tuition and they sell it. I don't see it as any different in that respect to going into any shop, so when people still talk and act like they are with teacher like in school it gets on my tits a bit, and the university don't seem to keen on me picking up some areas where I'm not too happy with the service I'm buying.

One lecture, as an example, spend 10 minutes handing out feedback sheets. In the 12 weeks he had given far to in depth examples and just repeated them when asked to break them down a bit and got angry that people couldn't get his far to in-depth examples. On the sheet's every one put something along the lines of his examples needing to be broken down or he needs to improve getting the points over through examples. He then flicked through and said "You seem to have a problem with my examples, i disagree, i think they are fine". Way to completely miss the whole point of the feed back. The sad thing he's not alone, so many of them are smart but can't "teach" very well. In a couple of modules I had to explain about 9 weeks worth to a couple of groups because I was one of the few who could follow what the hell they on about and despite people asking they just wouldn't break it down for them, so i did.

Not to mention if you need to find anything out it takes forever as no one knows who's doing what where or why. It took me about 3 weeks to find out nothing would change with some random form i was presented about a reclassification. That and receiving requests for info they don't need or want marked "urgent".

The plus side is i should have a day off and plenty of money, if the student finance can pull their fingers out their arse. They are beyond shit for what they do. I had 4 different explanations to the same problem over 2 days, who thats possible i don't know when they all use the same system, but what makes me more perplexed is none of them were even correct.

Even so, I'd have liked to have just stuck with a job where i was, it was great there, still not long.

Well as a landlord to a student house i can say that they have not even moved in and one of them isnt paying....

That said the others will have to cover her cost if she or her parents dont pay up.

Students.............some good....................some bad..................all messy.

As a student I seem to remember student landlords being public enemy number one. Luckily I was on campus during 2 of my 3 years studying, but the landlord iI had in the other year was a grade a bataard. The house was disgusting when we moved in and he had the nerve to charge us for cleaning after we left. He charged us for stealing a set of window blinds that were never there in the first place. When the washing machine broke he replaced it with another one which was jast as old and barely working.

So yeah, new students beware of bastard landlords.

One lecture, as an example, spend 10 minutes handing out feedback sheets. In the 12 weeks he had given far to in depth examples and just repeated them when asked to break them down a bit and got angry that people couldn't get his far to in-depth examples. On the sheet's every one put something along the lines of his examples needing to be broken down or he needs to improve getting the points over through examples. He then flicked through and said "You seem to have a problem with my examples, i disagree, i think they are fine". Way to completely miss the whole point of the feed back. The sad thing he's not alone, so many of them are smart but can't "teach" very well. In a couple of modules I had to explain about 9 weeks worth to a couple of groups because I was one of the few who could follow what the hell they on about and despite people asking they just wouldn't break it down for them, so i did.

As someone who has a foot on either side of the fence (P/T lecturer doing a PhD), I can identify with that. Some lecturers are so far removed from the student experience that they can't adjust their mindset to the level of the students they're teaching and think about what they may be able to relate to. At university level, there also seems to be a lot more emphasis on things like publications and notoriety in their field than actual teaching ability, which is why some lecturers you encounter have no fucking social skills whatsoever, and some aren't even comfortable with public speaking. They can fluently speak the language of pretentious academics but have no idea how to talk to an 18-year old (or an attractive girl, in some cases).

Cut the P/T staff some slack if they seem a bit disorganised at times. Their paycheck doesn't reflect your fees, and often they're disorganised because the lazy arses above them in the food chain have saddled them with their donkey work without bothering to brief them properly. I've been doing it for 4 years now and have learned to prepare for incompetence from senior staff only arsed about how much time off they can get for 'research', but it can be pretty nerve-wracking for those without so much experience.

• Paid Members

I'm about to start my 3rd and final year of BA Hons Writing Contemporary Fiction at Southampton Solent University. Enjoying it a lot so far, we're the first class to ever take the degree so we get to put in a lot of feedback. There are only 15 of us in the class which makes for a great little focus group for creative stuff, and I'm finding myself rising to the challenge of the academic English-Lit-like work really well. Also, with Southampton having two Universities, we're extremely well catered for in terms of nights out and such, and this city has an ace little music scene going on if you know where to look. In fact, I like the city and the course so much that I've been considering doing an MA in Creative Writing, then looking into getting a teaching position here. That's a big maybe though.

So yeah, loving it basically. It's hard to get a job with so many students here to snap them up, but I'm getting by fine on the loan and by the time I'm making enough money to pay it off, it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm sure I don't even need to mention the social benefits of Uni life either.

Archived