One for the hip hop heads

shep

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Still working my way through some old albums. I'm really liking Eric B and Rakim. Boogie Down Productions is really great, although after a while KRS-ONE starts to grate. It's like "yeah alright mate we get it". Really funny hearing all the little samples that have been used by other hip hop artists though. I really like Black Star and hearing "Definition" sample two different BDP songs is pretty funny.

• Moderators

Not a massive ukhh fan, but I've always liked Lewis Parker - Shark

Yeah, KRS-One can be a bit much. But wait til you get to Return of the Boom Bap! Man, that album is great.. From around the same time period - Have you checked any Kool G Rap? Road to the Riches and Wanted Dead or Alive ('89 and '90) are both really good; I reckon they might be up your street. Also, Geto Boys - Grip It! On that Other Level from '89 is pretty great.

• Moderators
Not a massive ukhh fan, but I've always liked Lewis Parker - Shark

Yeah, KRS-One can be a bit much. But wait til you get to Return of the Boom Bap! Man, that album is great.. From around the same time period - Have you checked any Kool G Rap? Road to the Riches and Wanted Dead or Alive ('89 and '90) are both really good; I reckon they might be up your street. Also, Geto Boys - Grip It! On that Other Level from '89 is pretty great.

Will put those on the list. Cheers.

• Paid Members

Been listening to Quasimoto's "The Unseen" again recently - just about anything Madlib touches turns to gold

Been listening to Quasimoto's "The Unseen" again recently - just about anything Madlib touches turns to gold

Amen to that. Heard the madvillian albums?

Really feeling this guy at the minute, Nocando.

Only recently heard of him, he's on a lot of the Low End Theory podcasts too which are brilliant.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
Also, Geto Boys - Grip It! On that Other Level from '89 is pretty great.

As you probably know from my quoting of it the other day, this album is fucking amazing.

Madlib is one of the few artists that sound good when you come across dodgy, badly recorded mp3s of him on the internet. The more lo-fi and third hand they are, the more exciting it is.

I'm off to find Return of the Boom Bap!

I acquired Return Of The Boom Bap a few months back. It's pretty good but I got fed up of hearing "We will be here for ever" over and over again so decided to sift through the stuff I usually skip and was left with Sound of da Police (obvs), Brown Skin Woman, Stop Frontin & Mad Crew. I'm particularly fond of Brown Skin Woman.

Archived