One for the hip hop heads

shep

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Loki had it right, rare groove is probably the closest description to what was in this mix, kicking off with some mellow jazz funk and throwing in latin, jazz and disco elements as well as straight up soul. This was definitely a mix for listening rather than dancing, hence playing the tunes pretty much in full and without much mixing, trying to create a warm summery vibe - even when it is pissing it down. For those looking for a proper full on hip hop mix - hold tight, (very) soon come!

As promised...

Adam F - Kaos Main Title (feat. Royal Symphonia)/Smash Sumthin (feat. Redman) (EMI) (2001)

Wu Tang Clan - Protect Ya Neck (Radio Edit) (Loud) (1993)

Public Enemy - Welcome To The Terrordome (Def Jam) (1989)

Publc Enemy - Fight The Power (1989)

Big Daddy Kane - Raw (Cold Chillin') (1987)

Big Daddy Kane - Mortal Combat (Cold Chillin') (1989)

Black Rock & Ron - Stop The World (Supreme) (1989)

Ultramagnetic MCs - Give The Drummer Some (Next Plateau) (1988)

Stezo - Freak The Funk (Sleeping Bag) (1989)

Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud - I Gotta Good Thing (Elektra) (1988)

Stetsasonic - Just Say Stet (Tommy Boy) (1985)

MC Shan - Down By Law (Cold Chillin') (1987)

EMPD - The Big Payback (Fresh) (1989)

Cash Money & Marvelous - The Mighty Hard Rocker (Sleeping Bag) (1988)

Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff (Champion) (1987)

Main Source - Looking At The Front Door (Wild Pitch) (1990)

Diamond D And The Psychotic Neurotics - Sally Got A One Track Mind (Chemistry) (1993)

Black Moon - Buck 'Em Down (Wreck) (1994)

Black Sheep - Flavor Of The Month (Mercury) (1991)

The Pharcyde - Ya Mama (Remix) (Delicious Vinyl) (1992)

Jurassic 5 - Jayou (PAN) (1998)

Just Ice - Going Way Back (Fresh) (1987)

Boogie Down Productions - Dope Beat (B Boy) (1987)

Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded (B Boy) (1987)

Boogie Down Productions - South Bronx (B Boy) (1987)

JVC Force - Strong Island (B Boy) (1987)

Bad Meets Evil - Nuttin' To Do (Game) (1998)

Non Phixion - We Are The Future (Landspeed) (2002)

Immortal Technique featuring Jean Grae - You Never Know (Viper) (2003)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/9357680889cc3d98/

I have included year info particularly for the benefit of El Espanacas. Lots of well known classic late 80s/early 90s classics plus a few Ssshhhh tracks including a couple of Paul C beats that may have been slept upon even by those who know. All vinyl selection, original 12s and LPs so there are a few dips in levels but all in all pretty tidy. I would ask that if you aren't remotely into hip hop you at least zoom through to the final track (dropping at 1:05) - I hope you will see why.

Currently on Channel 4 and soon come to 4OD no doubt -

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-hip...ies-1/episode-1

Presented by actor, DJ, MC and lifelong hip hop fan Idris Elba (The Wire, Luther) and featuring stars from both sides of the Atlantic (Snoop Dogg, Mark Ronson, Nas, Rakim, Debbie Harry, Jessie J, Chipmunk, Tinchy Stryder and N Dubz, to name just a few), How Hip Hop Changed the World counts down the defining moments of a culture that exploded out of the wastelands of 1970s New York and went on to become one of the most dominant global economic, political and social forces of our time.

From the birth of turntabalism to the UK grime artists who are now conquering the world, this two-hour special reveals everything you need to know about hip hop.

A list show, on the plus side there is Big Driis, Snoop, Nasty Nas and Rakim, we shall she what the others add. (classic breaks and knob jockey comments so far - 4 mins in)

Also got linked to this today -

D-Nice, who used to be down with KRS One's Boogie Down Productions, has a really good website http://www.d-nice.com and a lot of videos on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/dnicetv) where he's interviewing a lot of well known rappers from the 80's and early 90's but he's letting them tell their own story. Some really good ones with Monie Love, Special Ed, Sadat X, Joe-Ski Love, Buck Shot, Big Daddy Kane, and the most interesting one from Masta Ace who tells the whole story that he kicks the first verse on Juice Crew's "The Symphony" because MC Shan didn't want to do the record because he felt that it was beneath him to rhyme with G Rap, Craig G, and Kane (go figure that one) and Masta Ace just happened to be in on the session ..... well, I recommend checking it to let Ace tell it all.

• Admin

Just finished wading through the Idris Elba documentary, it was absolutely shite and a real struggle to make it to the end. For a documentary that sold itself as telling the story of Hip-Hop from birth it messed up right away by not even working chronologically, and instead it was a typical brain dead channel 4 countdown show with talking heads.

Putting So Solid Crew in there as if they have any significance was a joke. And then at Number 1 they had Obama, who actually used & abused the genre to score points politically during his campaign trail. It actually made the people talking it up on the show look fucking stupid, as these types of shows often do. They also tried to justify the outright materialism and general base nature of modern popular Hip-Hop as a reaction to the Biggie/2pac shootings. Unbelievable.

Its a real shame for some of the younger fans of this music this could be their first exposure and introduction to the birth and roots of the genre. If any of those people are reading, I recommend looking further - get your hands on the documentary Scratch, its primarily about Turntablism but covers much more than this and does it well.

Knocked up a quick mixtape last night. Came home from work with the idea of knocking up a mix of political protest songs but, in light of all that has been going on, I found it a little heavy going. Plan B - Something a little cooler for a hot Summer's day or, in this balmy barbecue summer we are currently enjoying, a mix you can close your eyes to, escaping to sunnier climes in your mind. No fancy pants mixing, just some jazzy, soulful goodness. Available to stream or download at http://www.zshare.net/audio/93552428d8cb9f71/

Roy Ayers - Everybody Loves The Sunshine

Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness

Ramsey Lewis And Earth, Wind & Fire - Sun Goddess

Leon Ware - Why I Came To California

The Jones Girls - Nights Over Egypt

Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmc Echoes - Summer Days

Victor Feldman - Sunshine Superman

Sons And Daughters Of Lite - Let The Sun Shine In

Nina Simone - Here Comes The Sun

Sly & The Family Stone - Hot Fun In The Summertime

Tammi Terrell & Marvin Gaye - California Soul

MFSB - Summertime

MFSB - Love Is The Message

Thelma Houston - Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

Nancy Wilson - Sunshine

Liking the look of that Shep!

I've been on the decks recently at home. Broke the transformer for my current mixer and couldn't play my vinyl. Since I couldn't get my fix it made me get the older mixer out and give 'em a spin! I'll have to hook 'em up to the PC now I've got more space on there and upload a mix, well overdue :)

An old mate who inspired me to DJ came around the other day, hooked up his laptop and he played keyboard and added some effects while I had a mix. GOOD TIMES!

I'll post some links to his productions and another old spar's tunes!

In a mo.....

www.sonicity.co.uk

Some good tunes on there.

- Ben also does www.repo136.blogspot.com - Ageing B-Boys Unite! that'll interest the Hip Hop headz!

I posted this tune to my blog by my mate Andy. Check him out on youtube under Hepcat404 for more :cool:

I can Dig It By Hepcat404

Just finished wading through the Idris Elba documentary, it was absolutely shite and a real struggle to make it to the end. For a documentary that sold itself as telling the story of Hip-Hop from birth it messed up right away by not even working chronologically, and instead it was a typical brain dead channel 4 countdown show with talking heads.

Putting So Solid Crew in there as if they have any significance was a joke. And then at Number 1 they had Obama, who actually used & abused the genre to score points politically during his campaign trail. It actually made the people talking it up on the show look fucking stupid, as these types of shows often do. They also tried to justify the outright materialism and general base nature of modern popular Hip-Hop as a reaction to the Biggie/2pac shootings. Unbelievable.

Its a real shame for some of the younger fans of this music this could be their first exposure and introduction to the birth and roots of the genre. If any of those people are reading, I recommend looking further - get your hands on the documentary Scratch, its primarily about Turntablism but covers much more than this and does it well.

I agree it was a let down but there was some real quality, classic footage thrown in from Hip Hop A Street History with Kool Herc, Bambaataa etc. I don't think Human Beatboxing even got a mention did it? No mention of Ice-T nor Krs One either.

Anyone else watch Graffiti Wars? That was well worth watching. All about graf writer King Robbo and his rivalry with Banksy. Sad ending...

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

May as well post this in here. I've been on a hip-hop thing recently, which really is quite a departure for me because other than some Beastie Boys I have literally nothing in that genre. Been listening to some "classic hip-hop" iTunes stations and found myself digging it more and more.

Right now I'm listening to "Long Live the Kane" and DAMN SON this is some good shit. Amazing to hear how much this has influenced/been ripped off. Seems like I'm about to go down a long trail of classic hip hop.

Archived