General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Reading the story you posted about Virgin pilots (lol) doesn't exactly make me on their side, Dammer:

Balpa said Virgin pilots had been subjected to a six-year "attack" on their living standards, having received no pay increase since 2008 and a below-inflation offer for 2011.

As is often said...I'm supposed to sympathise because highly paid AIRPLANE PILOTS got no pay rise for a couple of years, and then when they did it was 'below inflation' (a term I dislike because its so vauge). My heart does not bleed at this point.

It's really quite simple. If wages don't rise in accordance with the cost of living what people are effectively suffering is a pay cut.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'd prefer if the guys & girls driving my trains & planes, working in my hospitals and generally doing important shit are getting paid what they're due.

Reading the story you posted about Virgin pilots (lol) doesn't exactly make me on their side, Dammer:

Balpa said Virgin pilots had been subjected to a six-year "attack" on their living standards, having received no pay increase since 2008 and a below-inflation offer for 2011.

As is often said...I'm supposed to sympathise because highly paid AIRPLANE PILOTS got no pay rise for a couple of years, and then when they did it was 'below inflation' (a term I dislike because its so vauge). My heart does not bleed at this point.

I agree, it still inst a brilliant excuse. But its better than staff striking because they turned down a 4.5% pay rise, plus inflation +0.25% for the following four years and demanding 10% rises over 2 years and a cash handout, all whilst working on what numerous reports have already said is an over priced service doing a simple job on inflated salaries. London Underground and other rail services are already experiencing reduced passenger numbers, despite more people working and living in London than ever before. From my experience this is down to it being far too over priced for what is effectively people driving an electrical train. As I said previously, I can get a taxi from Waterloo to my work for less than it costs to get the Underground.

In one sense I applaud them for getting so much from doing so little, yet on the other hand I think it serves them right that they are pricing themselves out of a job in 5-10 years to come.

It's really quite simple. If wages don't rise in accordance with the cost of living what people are effectively suffering is a pay cut.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'd prefer if the guys & girls driving my trains & planes, working in my hospitals and generally doing important shit are getting paid what they're due.

Pressing stop and go in a train isnt 'important shit'.

• Paid Members

From my research, which granted was just a quick Google, I have discovered that a newly qualified pilot is on 30k p/a. A top BA pilot is on 100k p/a.

Direct Entry Captain Salaries

Easyjet:

Edited by hope neil dies tbh

Pressing stop and go in a train isnt 'important shit'.

It is when that button they press is responsible for getting 70% of the UK's workforce into their places of work every day.

Alright, ill try a different tact.

Its not 'important shit' when anybody with a basic education and sight can do it.

From my research, which granted was just a quick Google, I have discovered that a newly qualified pilot is on 30k p/a. A top BA pilot is on 100k p/a. Excuse me while I go cry over the hardships these people must be facing!

And the average London Underground staff member (not just drivers) are on

Edited by Van Dammer

I didn't say anything about LU staff members reasons for striking, Dammer. Usually Bobby and Co. claim safety, anyway.

I know I was just adding another absurd salary to your list.

Im not sure what Virgin pilots are on though, I believe they are paid less than BA pilots if you look at what Virgin cabin crew are paid in comparison to BA but not sure.

Edited by Van Dammer

From my research, which granted was just a quick Google, I have discovered that a newly qualified pilot is on 30k p/a. A top BA pilot is on 100k p/a. Excuse me while I go cry over the hardships these people must be facing!

Wouldn't you rather that the people who fly you around the fucking world are well-paid, top notch professionals who are the best at what they do?

The amusing thing about this thread, and people like Van Dammer and his old buddies Happ & Yoghurt is that they never seem to question the obscene amounts of money that the incompetent bankers get paid every year, yet see fit to question the money we pay to the people who actually keep this country moving on a daily basis.

Its not 'important shit' when anybody with a basic education and sight can do it.

So, the training that these guys go through to ensure that people get safely from point A to point B is a waste of money then?

• Paid Members

David, you have misunderstood what I'm saying. I don't deny that these people are skilled, I couldn't fly myself to New York, for instance. But being skilled within a role doesn't make you indespensible, and if you are sitting there, Mr. Pilot, and demanding a pay increase from your current annual rate of A HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS a year, I'm sure Virgin or BA or whoever could find somebody who would be willing to do it at that price, and be happy. And, to my mind, thats the beauty of the market. That's why I've never been one of those types who go for the whole, 'coming over here, taking our jobs,' way of thinking. I know you got love for the Trade Unions, Dave, but they can't always be right!

Edited by hope neil dies tbh

Wouldn't you rather that the people who fly you around the fucking world are well-paid, top notch professionals who are the best at what they do?

The amusing thing about this thread, and people like Van Dammer and his old buddies Happ & Yoghurt is that they never seem to question the obscene amounts of money that the incompetent bankers get paid every year, yet see fit to question the money we pay to the people who actually keep this country moving on a daily basis.

So, the training that these guys go through to ensure that people get safely from point A to point B is a waste of money then?