General politics discussion thread

David

Fair enough. But the PM analogy is a bit off in that it's specifically being that one level further removed that makes it so irrelevant to me.

Not that much. IIRC the Prime Minister cannot be a Catholic either. One of the reasons Tony Blair converted to Catholicism after he left office and that were Ian Duncan Smith as Conservative leader were to have won a General Election there might have been a constitutional crises (of course there was pretty much no chance of IDS getting into that position).

It's rooting out instutionalised sexism and religious discrimination at the highest level of our society. It doesn't sway my conviction that, since God didn't put them there, the Royal Family shouldn't have their role but, given that they do, I prefer that it's at least not buffetted by discrimination.

Fair play on the sexism bit but, considering the head of the royal family is the head of a specific religion, it's silly to expect religious equality there. It doesn't make any sense for the reasons Kenny pointed out.

• Paid Members
Fair play on the sexism bit but, considering the head of the royal family is the head of a specific religion, it's silly to expect religious equality there. It doesn't make any sense for the reasons Kenny pointed out.

What would be the difference between Catholicism and any other religion, though? There's no legislation barring any other religion. Or is it purely that you can't have the spouse of the head of the English Church being in thrawl to another man who is head of another religion? What about buddhists with the Dalai Lama etc?

Actually, doesn't the fact that the Queen is head of her own religion really underline how hokey it is? One king wants a divorce, the Pope won't grant it, so he takes advantage of frustration amongst elements of the populace at the selling of pardons etc and declares his own religion the true one. And 450 years later people still sign up to it.

What would be the difference between Catholicism and any other religion, though? There's no legislation barring any other religion. Or is it purely that you can't have the spouse of the head of the English Church being in thrawl to another man who is head of another religion? What about buddhists with the Dalai Lama etc?

Kenny's explained why it doesn't work with Catholicism -- because the only possible outcomes of such a union are either A) the Catholic half of the marriage neglecting their Catholic duties by failing to raise their children in that faith, or B) the offspring, upon taking the throne, is somehow simultaneously a Catholic and Head of the C of E.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

See what you mean.

All the same, that's dependent on the individual being ultra stringent in how they apply their Catholicism. It should be for the individual to say "Sorry, I can't marry you because ..." rather than be told "You're going to be excluded because you're a Catholic." I'm sure there are plenty of nominal Catholics who break the rules every day; my other half has eaten meat in every meal today in spite of having recently been told that meat's a no-no on Fridays.

And going back to the point about Catholicism being singled out: We don't say "CofE-ers can marry the monarch subject to having proven that their hymen is intact" because otherwise they would be in violation of the no-sex-before-marriage demand of their religion.

When questioned it soon becomes clear he's paying tribute to some of the posters on this board and their style of argument.

The lass who is 2 down from the UKIP bloke is fit, mind :thumbsup:

Terribly irrelevant , but it made the whole thing watchable as the Treasurer was being shot down

When questioned it soon becomes clear he's paying tribute to some of the posters on this board and their style of argument.

Bless, Diet-BNP actually think they're real politicians, don't they? Silly buggers.

Can you name some of the posters on this board and their style of argument that he is paying tribute to?

• Paid Members

I'd say it's a blend of Duane's "I'm just putting some information out there for you to think about" and HappHazard's mix of very strongly held beliefs interspersed with incredibly basic questions that show he's done no research whatsoever, followed by a change of subject.

To be fair, Duane does at least name "sources", crackpot or otherwise.