General politics discussion thread

David

I see that the BBC have decided to rethink the coverage that they are giving the BNP after their election success.

It seems that the Labour party will now have to share a platform with BNP representatives, which should be good for a laugh as well;

Labour has been forced to drop its policy of not sharing a platform with the BNP after the BBC confirmed that it is to invite Nick Griffin to appear on Question Time.

The party

So the BBC have had a "Rethink" over coverage for the BNP. Is this the same BBC that have had Nick Griffin on many a show? The same BBC that showed a Party Election Broadcast for the BNP? What does the "rethink" include that they previously didn't anyway?

I bet the audience at Nick's first QT will be filled with people of colour, immigrants (the legal kind) and Lib Dem supporters also I bet other MP's refuse to appear on the same show as him and the one and only BNP supporter in the audience will be a mong of epic proportions.

Either way it should be fun seeing Big Nick squirm though thats assuming that he can even get a word in.

oh let them have their little spotlight because all it does is show up the evil racists they truely are - just make sure it's the bloke off the today programme doing the control of the programme and have him stuff them up!

Nah keep it Dimbles. I remember "When David Met Nick" first time.

Dimbles: "The BNP are opposed to same sex marriages"

Griffin: "No we're not opposed to same sex marriages"

Dimbles: "Well on your website it says you are"

Griffin: "It doesn't say that on our website at all"

Dimbles "Yes it does because I'm quoting directly from it now"

Griffin "..................Yes it does say that on our website but...."

(Studio guest off camera tries to stifle her laughter).

So the BBC have had a "Rethink" over coverage for the BNP. Is this the same BBC that have had Nick Griffin on many a show? The same BBC that showed a Party Election Broadcast for the BNP? What does the "rethink" include that they previously didn't anyway?

It's not so much a "rethink" as it is a case of "not breaking the law." The rules say that during an election, every party that is standing in more than x percent of seats is entitled to a Party Election Broadcast and must be covered fairly during the election process itself. Had the BNP failed to net a seat, they'd probably have slipped back into the political ghetto until the next election, but as things stand, they are a significant (if small) player in the legitimate political representation of the British people now, and must be treated as such. If the BBC didn't invite them to participate, they'd have a strong case for legal action which would only turn them into bigger martyrs and get them more publicity of the wrong kind. I've said it a million times, but the only way to defeat twats like Nick Griffin is to engage them in serious debate in the most public forum possible and show them up for the useless, ignorant cunts that they are.

but the only way to defeat twats like Nick Griffin is to engage them in serious debate in the most public forum possible and show them up for the useless, ignorant cunts that they are.

Thats pretty much my view on the BNP.

Most BNP supportes I come across are either unemployable (it's all them immigrants fault of course), shut ins who are afraid of their own shadow or chav scum who are probably too thick to vote anyway.

Of course not all BNP voters are complete thickos and I think many gained votes in the last set of elections were more down to protest then actual support.

As for Cameron I don't think he do will much if anything to improve things.

In other news, Gordon Brown keeps making the headlines;

Gordon Brown declined to put formal pressure on Libya to get compensation for IRA victims, No 10 has confirmed.

The victims say Libya should pay compensation because it supplied the IRA with explosives used in atrocities.

Mr Brown told a victims' lawyer it was not "appropriate" to discuss the claims, but aides have denied he was trying to protect oil deals with Libya.

Democratic Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson said the PM had done far less for victims than US leaders had.

Mr Brown's office released a letter written by the prime minister to IRA victims' lawyer Jason McCue last October in which Mr Brown wrote that the government did not "consider it appropriate to enter into a bilateral discussion with Libya on this matter".

He added that Libya would be "strongly opposed to reopening the issue."

In an earlier letter dating from last September, the prime minister told Mr McCue that Libya was now an "essential partner" in the fight against terrorism and it was in the UK's interests for that co-operation to continue.

Mr McCue has been lobbying the government to raise the matter of compensation at the highest levels of the Libyan government.

His campaign follows out-of-court deals agreed by Libya with three American victims of IRA atrocities.

More than 100 UK IRA victims, who had been pursuing similar claims through the American courts, had been excluded from those deals.

Mr Donaldson told the BBC that the US government had "held the Libyans' feet to the fire" in order to win a multi-million pound settlement for its nationals.

"I want to know - and the victims are entitled to know - why Gordon Brown does not have the same desire to stand up for the victims of IRA terrorism as George Bush showed standing up for American victims," he said.

"He got a multi-million dollar deal in terms of compensation from the Libyans."

Mr Donaldson is part of a cross-party group of MPs preparing to travel to Tripoli for talks about compensation.

The victims' campaign has been boosted by the Scottish government's decision to free Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi on compassionate grounds.

The victims argue Libya should show similar compassion regarding their demands.

Colin Parry's 13-year-old son Tim was killed in Warrington in 1993 by an IRA bomb thought to be made from Libyan Semtex.

"It does make Britain look very, very weak and insignificant if, for reasons of worrying about oil deals or other economic considerations, this government of ours is prepared to disregard all the pain of the thousands of victims of IRA terrorist campaigns," he said.

"It isn't about the money. It's about Libya saying, 'We now want to be a normal state.'

"If that's the case then they've got to address the sins they committed in the past. The only way they can do that... is financially - to compensate those people their actions hurt so badly."

A Downing Street spokesman said the government had raised the issue of compensation with Libya informally but it was felt that formal negotiations stood little chance of success.

The Conservatives said the public needed to know "on what basis" the government had reached its decision not to press for compensation.

Shadow foreign secretary William Hague told Sky News: "These latest revelations are part of an ever-expanding farce, with more revelations really every day about how the government have conducted themselves.

"These latest revelations greatly strengthen the case we have made for an independent inquiry."

Source: BBC.com

• Paid Members

From Richard "Hitler Moustache" Herring:

They are talking about me in the House of Commons. Well, a bloke who works in the House of Commons is talking about me, possibly whilst in the House of Commons. Tom Harris MP has written this blog calling for me to be on Question Time with my Hitler moustache, if, as they most surely must, allow Nick Griffin to go on the programme. It's an interesting proposition, though I am not sure I have the necessary knowledge or gravitas to pull it off. But I certainly think that Question Time should have Nick Griffin on their show. Not only was he democratically elected by the idiotic British public, but by silencing him one only shrouds him in mystery and makes him appear like some speaking maverick whose words are so scintillating that they can not be heard. Let him get up there and say whatever is in his tiny head, because if it's anything like anything else that the BNP have ever said it will be palpable, laughable nonsense and he can only make himself look like a prick. I have doubtless said this before but generally when people are silenced by a government or the church it is because what they are saying is true - Galileo springs to mind, as do the political prisoners around the world who are incarcerated for daring to criticise oppressive regimes or propose democracy. But the BNP have no such worthy or truthful purpose. Let them speak. What they say is wrong and their arguments fall apart under the smallest amount of examination. Are we worried that people might be stupid enough to be seduced by these lies? Perhaps they will be, but if you want democracy then you have to let stupid people have an equal say. It is up to the less feckless individuals to do their part and stop the fascists in their tracks. But we should let them speak or they gain a cachet that they don't deserve.

Freedom of speech allows all of us to have our say, providing we are not transgressing into the criminal and I think Nick Griffin should be questioned over and over again about his odious beliefs, on camera, if necessary sitting next to a man with a Hitler moustache, heiling everything he says.

For the moment, of course, I am moustacheless anyway. And now with a week's worth of stubble and beginning to look like myself again, which is a relief. If only a temporary one.

I've said it a million times, but the only way to defeat twats like Nick Griffin is to engage them in serious debate in the most public forum possible and show them up for the useless, ignorant cunts that they are.

I think one of the good things to come out of the BNP getting some airtime is the idea that perhaps the so-called legitimate politicians will be forced to answer some of the questions on immigration, Europe and human rights as well.

We all know that the BNP are never going to be major players when it comes to UK politics, but we can at least hope that their involvement will ensure that some real questions get put to these fools we have in charge at present.

I've said it a million times, but the only way to defeat twats like Nick Griffin is to engage them in serious debate in the most public forum possible and show them up for the useless, ignorant cunts that they are.

I think one of the good things to come out of the BNP getting some airtime is the idea that perhaps the so-called legitimate politicians will be forced to answer some of the questions on immigration, Europe and human rights as well.

We all know that the BNP are never going to be major players when it comes to UK politics, but we can at least hope that their involvement will ensure that some real questions get put to these fools we have in charge at present.

just out of curiosity are you a bnp voter harry?

just out of curiosity are you a bnp voter harry?

In all honesty, no.

I think the majority of political parties in the UK are a fucking joke.

I do find the current BNP situation interesting though, especially the reaction that their members and supporters get throughout the country, so i'd class myself more as an interested observer.

Have you never watched Question Time?