*OFFICIAL* UKFF RANT thread

neil

People don't bother looking when crossing roads anymore. I've had three instances the last week or so (two in the same) were if I didn't stop because I saw them and could tell they were going to cross Id have just run them down, and somehow them being a dumbfuck and walking out into a road without looking would have been my fault

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a similar situation, I was sat at a red light recently and a bloke was standing waiting to cross the road. He's clearly had a few but I wouldn't say he was hammered. Anyway, the red man turned green for him to cross but instead of crossing he just stood there looking at the lights. I had a feeling what was about to happen, and my suspicions were confirmed when his light turned red, my light turned green and he starting crossing. Eh, maybe he was hammered.

• Paid Members

Earphones.

Not always of course, but I think a lot of the reckless road crossing now is down to some people seeming to be totally oblivious when they're walking around with earphones in. I've noticed it a few times lately. My sister was giving me a lift somewhere the other day and there was this young girl with earphones in and she just walked out into the road without looking. My sister had to slam the breaks on, luckily there were no cars close behind us or they'd have gone straight into us. The worst thing is the girl still didn't notice for a couple of seconds after my sister stopped the car. She hadn't heard the car coming towards her and she mustn't have heard it screech to a halt either. She finally turned her head and obviously realised what had very nearly happened and she looked horrified. Fucking scary. She was just merrily walking along without a care in the world and seemed to have no idea how close she was to being killed or crippled.

That was the closest scare but I've seen it a couple of other times as well, and more often than not the person crossing the road has earphones in. It's madness. You can easily still look both ways with earphones in, but some people seem to be fucking miles away with a bit of music in their ears and lose all awareness of where they are.

The people I referenced earlier didn't notice at any point and didn't have headphones in their ears, they just away with the faries it would seem. I can honestly say that anytime I have my headphones in, I'm still able to make sure I'm not going to crushed by an oncoming vehicle. I thought of honking at them just to make them realise what was going on and then just thought what's the fucking point because you'd just get a load of shit despite being in the right.

I had the same thing yesterday with a guy who was just staring at his mobile as he just walked out again completly oblivious.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, I always had earphones in when out walking the dog and stuff and never had any problems or scares crossing the road. I think some people just get lost in their own little world though when they're listening to music or looking at their phone. It's not the fault of the technology, obviously, some bastards just need to wise up.

My parents used to tell me not to take my Walkman out when I was younger for the same reason. I think you're alright as long as you keep your wits about you.

Worst thing is people walking whilst being on their phone. Really gets on my tits that. It's always when I'm rushing through town and I get stuck behind some mum with her hair up in a donut and a pram with about fifty Iceland and Poundstretcher bags attached.

• 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting an old thread but I've had an absolute mare of a week.

The wife and I are in the process of buying a house at the moment and were due to pick up the keys on July 5th. Received a phone call on Monday to inform us that the seller of the house has died and the sale has been put on hold until the sellers daughter becomes executor of the estate and has the powers to sell the house to us so it's looking like it'll be September now before we get the keys.

My shite week continued on Wednesday. I'm a Primary school teacher and for the last year have been working in a school covering other people's classes. I'd been informed by the previous headteacher that next year I would be getting my own class again but found out on Wednesday  in a staff meeting from the new headteacher that there's been a change of plan and I'm gonna be covering other people's classes all week long again.

Shit week continued yesterday when I discovered the front suspension in my car is fucked and is gonna be a few hundred quid to fix. 

Also burnt my arm on the oven the other day and pissed the cleaners off at work when I mistook a roll of double sided tape for masking tape and stuck it all over the floor. 

I'll be glad to see the back of this week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Think I mentioned this in here before but having gone the past 20 odd years with barely as much a cold to show for my sickness history, in the past six months I’ve suffered a near constant barrage of low level, but debilitating illnesses, chest infections, kidney stones, tonsillitis etc.

Ive has more time off work and spent more time in doctors surgeries in the last few months alone, than I have my entire life.

I mustn’t feign surprise.  My lifestyle is fucking shocking. Between working two jobs and caring for two under 5’s (including the dreaded nursery runs!) I’ve been reduced for the last couple of years to an average of 5hrs kip a night, consuming a diet of almost exclusively take away food, scoffed on the way to the office, or after work so I can get the kids in the bath as soon as I arrive home etc etc.

A few weeks back, I took the hard decision to put my freelance graphics work on hold in an attempt to at the very least, get some rest and to try and let my body recover.  On one hand, thats worked and I’ve been illness free for over a month now although I have the added stress of fretting over how I’ll pay this months nursery fee without the additional income that would usually contribute towards it.

On top of all of that, my wife is set to give birth to our third (and final) child in a fortnight, and a week later, my youngest, who had to undergo reconstructive hip surgery a year ago, goes back under the knife to have his metal work removed.

Fortunately, the latter occurs during my paternity leave - as my wife will still be in recovery, I have another week off early September as my eldest starts school, but it still means three weeks off work during one of my busiest periods of the year.

So, the icing on the cake...I’ve gone and done my fucking back in!  It’s been giving me gyp for weeks but I’m the last few days it’s gotten worse and worse to the point I’ve just been signed off for a week!  My wife, whilst heavily pregnant isn’t supposed to be doing heavy lifting etc but is left with no choice cos im on my arse and I just feel fucking hopeless at the minute.  

Ive ignores all the warning signs in an attempt to keep going and now, when it matters most my body just seems to be giving up on me!

I don’t really have an end to that story, but fucking hell it feels good to get it off my chest!!

Archived