The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

All the Australians' whinging about the English angling for a draw seems pretty ironic now, doesn't it? No more undignified a spectacle than the Aussie captain pleading with the umpires to end play.

England haven't been great in this series (didn't score over 400 in any innings) but they were more than good enough to see off an Australian side that's a fucking embarrassment. Seems to me that they've got some decent players (Harris, Watson) but the selection, the indecision over batting order, and Clarke's captaincy is rock bottom.

As for us, a few of our best players never really got out of first gear. As good a captain as Cook is, it seems to have diminished his form as an opening batsman. Trott looked better this afternoon than before, but he's not been fluid. If it wasn't for Bell's form we'd have struggled.

I reckon Woakes might be worth keeping on - the makings of a decent all rounder possibly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

No idea what England are doing with their bowling line-up in these ODIs. They did this against Ireland as well with just three front-line bowlers and with Stokes playing as a front-liner even though he's a batting all-rounder at this stage in his career. He should be batting at 6 or 7 and they should be playing an extra bowler. I think England are going to get twatted today unless the pitch does a bit.

• Paid Members

England are STILL picking this same sort of fucking line-up.

This isn't like the days when you could pick Ronnie Irani and Mark Ealham and fiddle 20 overs out of them for next to nothing. You need proper bowlers these days with power plays and harsher fielding regulations. Picking three front line bowlers isn't enough. Just put Stokes in the top 6 and pick Jordan or Overton. I don't understand what they're doing at all.

Bopara and Root are good options as sixth and seventh bowlers but they're not good enough at this level to be relied on as front-liners.

This has been the case for years though. You can play bits and pieces cricketers in Twenty20s, you need to hit out and some junk bowling medium pacer can have an impact when he only has to bowl 12 deliveries and can put everything into them. We've moved on in the one-day game but our selectors revert to type and still think they can muddle through. You would hope they would learn but this is a discussion that has been had the entire time I've been a cricket fan.

• Paid Members

They used to do it the other way round and England always used to win because Australia would save themselves for the inevitable pummelling they would give us in the Ashes.

I quite liked it when they did a triangular series between the two nations that toured here in between the two test series. It made the ODIs mean something. Not sure why they scrapped them, to be honest.

• Paid Members

I liked the Women's Ashes format that mixed tests, ODIs and 20-20, with more points for winning the test. It's not really a go-er for the men's Ashes given the tradition, but it would be interesting for some other tours, particularly the ones where you only have three test matches anyway.

• Paid Members

Yes, it was a fascinating concept that met with great reviews. Most test series now are only two tests and I think it would be a good experiment to use a short series, combine it with a couple of T20s and a few ODIs and see what the response is. Might bring some added legitimacy to all the formats.

I watched a fair bit of the women's Ashes, actually, and quite enjoyed it. Lydia Greenway played an amazing innings in the second T20 of 80 not out where I reckon she scored about 70 of those runs playing sweep and reverse sweep shots. One of the most extraordinary innings I've seen for ages in any form of cricket.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

It's been brought forward a year because Australia is hosting the Cricket World Cup in February/March 2015, which would have been a few weeks after the Ashes ended there.

Weird thing is that they are bringing the next English Ashes series forward a couple of years as well (then reverting to a normal cycle)to avoid having a massive gap. The problem is that means the Ashes and World Cup are both scheduled for England in 2019, which takes you back to the same situation you started in.

Edited by JNLister