The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Fuck 20/20. This is cricket.

But it only got interesting for the final 10 overs, there's a reason 20/20 is so popular and the test ended like a shortened version of the game.

Edited by John.

• Paid Members
Fuck 20/20. This is cricket.

But it only got interesting for the final 10 overs, there's a reason 20/20 is so popular and the test ended like a shortened version of the game.

Well, no, it didn't really - you wouldn't have had that result or ending in a 20/20 match. It was a good test match throughout - plenty of wickets and runs, controversy, great bowling, bad batting (from England) and more. I like 20/20 just fine but I FAR more preferred this.

Ponting is a little bitch isn't he?

Complaining about England's lack of sportsmanship whilst appealing for LBW's that blatently didn't exist and running up to the umpire with a catch that's blatently come off the pad.

It's just a pity that they're so much better then we are. I'd really like us to shut them up.

• Paid Members
So, does that mean it's currently 1-1 in the Series? How does that work out? Thanks.

I think it's 0-0.

Yep, that's right. Also worth remembering that the Ashes works like a boxing title, meaning that if the series is tied at the end, the current holder (Australia) retain the Ashes rather than them becoming vacant or some such nonsense.

Can only applaud the determination we showed in sticking out for the draw,

Colly had an absolutely massive innings in the circumstances, and the sheer guts showed by Jimmy and Monty to stick around for so long was immense.

I reckon we could use a couple of changes in the bowling department for Lords. I'd give Harmy a go personally.

• Paid Members
Ponting is a little bitch isn't he?

Complaining about England's lack of sportsmanship whilst appealing for LBW's that blatently didn't exist and running up to the umpire with a catch that's blatently come off the pad.

It's just a pity that they're so much better then we are. I'd really like us to shut them up.

The thing is, we're not. If we had actually batted properly then we would have shown just what a mediocre bowling attack they had on what was a flat pitch.

Our approach to Hauritz was ridiculous especially. Why did we not play him as Sussex and the Lions had played him in the warm up games, by going after him and hitting him out of the attack? Instead, we let him get into a rhythm and bowl to us. Utterly stupid and that needs to be rethought for the next test.

• Paid Members
Was a cracking end to the match, every ball was tense. Im no expert, so can someone explain to me why Ponting was using two spinners at the end? Especially against Monty, shouldnt he be have at least one pace bowler attacking him? Had he just lost confidence in the pace men?

The reason he was using 2 off spinners was that both Monty and Anderson are left handed, and as the off spinner goes away from the left hander he was trying to get them out caught, either by the keeper or the slips. Add in the fact that he would also get through his overs quicker than the fast bowlers, and that Mitchell Johnson (who is normally good against left handers) was bowling rubbish I can understand why he did it.

To be honest if England had batted with a little more application in the first innings then we would not have been in this mess. And yes I do know I defended Pietersen earlier in this thread for his shot, but I still stick by thats the way he plays. The other batsmen are less flair players though and they should have done what Collingwood did in the second innings.

I think there is only a certain number of times "it's the way he plays" can defend Pietersen.

Yes he is our best player and yes he top scores a lot of the time but he doesn't get the consistent big runs that set up a match win and that fulfill his potential. He gets 40's 50's and 60's which makes his average look pretty but doesn't convert as often as a player of his talent shpuld when getting to those kind of scores. Yes it is the way he plays but he can play a lot better. Also i wouldn't mind if he plays like he plays and then gets out playing an orthodox shot that goes wrong not at a silly time. The problem for me is that 3 or 4 times now his shots have been absolutely ridiculous choices of shot at the worst possible time. For me he needs to have a bit more awarness of the situations and then play "the way he plays" when the situation allows it rather than throwing his wicket away when he is needed the most

It's a shame, but to be fair, he had his day in 2005, and has struggled ever since. If he goes out on a high this year then thats fantastic, but it isn't very likely given his performances since that memorable series.