The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He wasn't hoopig it round corners though. He got a litle nibble off the surface and was bowling at a time when England were struggling and didn't look to attack him, Williamson used him brilliantly. Stokes and Buttler showed how easy batting could be once they got in, and Latham didn't look in any trouble durig his stay either.

Yup. De Grandhomme was perfect for that pitch. Medium pace gets a bad rap these days. Medium pace (medium-fast I'll include in that) swing is perfect for English wickets. Hence the horses for courses picks we'd always make at Headingley where folks like Steve Watkin would be gods. Or the occasional Martin Bicknell call up. Ian Austin did ok, Collingwood had a few good days, Mark Ealham too especially on the correct wickets for them. Anderson is pretty much MF these days and his bowling at home is still as good as ever. 

Speaking of perfect bowling  for our conditions, TRJ is on point at the moment. Id see how he looks against Ireland. Perfect horses for courses squad selection for the ashes depending on the wicket. 

And as regards the too much grass thing, that was set up for (especially) Woakes and Plunkett I'd assume. Cant blame the Kiwi's for beating us at our own game. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I find it crackers that after this, the counties aren't even playing a 50 over tournament of any meaning next year!

I agree. The ECB are claiming its right because we've (at least) two T20 world cups before the next 50 over one. But 50 over cricket is we all know from playing on weekends as players all over the Country on a local level and as fans what we've just fucking won a world cup in.

Also, an obvious miss by Strauss and Giles here is that the fucking hundred isn't fucking T20. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I agree. The ECB are claiming its right because we've (at least) two T20 world cups before the next 50 over one. But 50 over cricket is we all know from playing on weekends as players all over the Country on a local level and as fans what we've just fucking won a world cup in.

Also, an obvious miss by Strauss and Giles here is that the fucking hundred isn't fucking T20. 

Is that a confirmed thing now then? I know that was the suggestion but hadn't seen it formally announced. Absolutely bonkers decision. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I'm going to a cricket match for the first time ever on Saturday, Derbyshire vs Yorkshire. I have no interest but the other half's family is all well into it so I'm willing to give it a try. Are you expected to cheer when someone scores a run or is it more of a tennis "polite clap" sort of thing?

Just give out a huge cheer every-time Yorkshire score a run or take a wicket, you won't be going far wrong then...