The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What an amazing, even sporting contest that was. I hope folk took advantage of it being of free to air TV to witness it. You have to feel for the Black Caps though, especially with the 4 overthrows that came off Stokes back to make the target doable... 

• Paid Members

Holy shit what a match.

I have never, ever been so nervous as I was during the game. I thought England had fucked it at several points, and the last over of the normal innings was incredibly tense. 

Made up for the England team and it's horrible for the New Zealanders - they were excellent. 

• Paid Members

New Zealand should have won it, the opening ball was plumb and the Stokes 6 was 1 in a million. Stuff like that doesn't happen to England.

Saying that, I'll feel smug for another 15 mins entirely due to McCullum, Clarke and Ganguly bring utterly insufferable on commentary when England were in the clag at 80-4.

Edited by Gus Mears

TBH I don't see Test Cricket returning to free TV. When the BBC had it they didn't treat it like a big deal at all, the match would go off the air for the news, and Neighbours. Channel 4 did a better job but they'd still shunt it off to Film 4 to show horse racing. I think 20/20 internationals would be ideal for regular TV though. I know there's this "Hundred" thing supposed to be starting next year but it sounds like an absolute clusterfuck.

• Paid Members

Never watched a game in my life, but everyone at work has been talking about it, so I figured I'd tune in today so I could join in the chat tomorrow.

Obviously glad I did, that was absolutely incredible, even if I didn't fully understand what was going on. I understood enough to be on the edge of my seat.

I'm assuming I've peaked already though? Surely it isn't this good a viewing experience very often? Shall I just call it a day as a fan after one game?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

Never watched a I'm assuming I've peaked already though? Surely it isn't this good a viewing experience very often? Shall I just call it a day as a fan after one game?

If you're able to watch any of the Ashes, that's about as close as you'll get as an England fan. Thankfully, it's next month so you can find out if you do like more than this phenomenal game.

The thing is with Test cricket, to me anyway, it's not something you watch intently for 5 days. It's more something you dip in and out of, follow the score at work, listen to the TMS commentary in the car, and watch the final session and highlights in the evening. They key days are usually at the weekend so I'll watch more then but even so, it's rare I'll sit in front of the TV all day watching all of it.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

New Zealand should have won it, the opening ball was plumb and the Stokes 6 was 1 in a million. Stuff like that doesn't happen to England.

Saying that, I'll feel smug for another 15 mins entirely due to McCullum, Clarke and Ganguly bring utterly insufferable on commentary when England were in the clag at 80-4.

Fuck me the commentary at times was genuinely making me angry, especially in that final over. The eternal wishing of Archer to bowl a wide was sickening. 

Great cricket that, Stokes' six that should have been a catch and his six whilst diving for his wicket were sensational to and it was those two deliveries that made me switch from 'this is lost' to 'we'll fucking win this'. 

Shame the final was at Lords for me, that pitch was dead and the spectacle of England smashing fuck out of bowlers was lost. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

The thing is with Test cricket, to me anyway, it's not something you watch intently for 5 days. It's more something you dip in and out of, follow the score at work, listen to the TMS commentary in the car, and watch the final session and highlights in the evening. They key days are usually at the weekend so I'll watch more then but even so, it's rare I'll sit in front of the TV all day watching all of it.

I mean, I'm a big snooker fan, especially the multi-session games that allow you to dip in and out, so that sounds right up my street.

18 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Shame the final was at Lords for me, that pitch was dead and the spectacle of England smashing fuck out of bowlers was lost. 

I wish it was at edgbaston for the fans atmosphere found it to flat all day from the fans, pitch added to the drama not being able to smash fuck out of bowlers 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Fuck me the commentary at times was genuinely making me angry, especially in that final over. The eternal wishing of Archer to bowl a wide was sickening. 

Great cricket that, Stokes' six that should have been a catch and his six whilst diving for his wicket were sensational to and it was those two deliveries that made me switch from 'this is lost' to 'we'll fucking win this'. 

It was Ian Smith in particular who couldn't piss, insufferable prick. It's annoying enough having a partisan crowd out particularly so when it's against England on a UK channel. They tried to hard give a a commentary team that wasnt too pro England but went to far the other way.

Simon Doull was a delight though, get him on as a regular

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

TBH I don't see Test Cricket returning to free TV. When the BBC had it they didn't treat it like a big deal at all, the match would go off the air for the news, and Neighbours. 

This isn't true, they used to switch it over to BBC2, they almost never missed a ball.