The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
It's pretty much widely acknowledged that Hick vastly improved against the short ball as his career advanced. After his first test century against India, he averaged well over 45 for the rest of his test career and the bowling attacks around the world were no slower or less challenging.

I figured this was impossible, and because I'm sad, I worked it out. His test average for the period after that dead rubber 178 in Mumbai, including that innings was 34.32

In a career that spanned 10 years he only averaged above 30 for the year 3 times. Only one of his hundreds came in a match-winning effort and that was against Zimbabwe. I'm not denying that he was talented, but if a guy is capable of making 10,000 runs then he's got to have the mental strength to cope with being dropped occassionally. Batting order doesn't really mean much, if he was good enough to make 10,000 runs at 3, then he's got to be good enough to average more than 31 anywhere in the middle order when you're given 65 Tests. It's not like it's easier batting at 3 than 5 or 6.

You are right about his average actually, I misread his article on Cricinfo. And yes, you are sad :laugh:

He was far from dropped 'occasionally' though. He was the 'go to' man to be dropped after the latest England batting debacle along with Mark Ramprakash. I still think that England should have stuck with him rather than having him in and out of the side like a blue-arsed fly.

He was far from dropped 'occasionally' though. He was the 'go to' man to be dropped after the latest England batting debacle along with Mark Ramprakash. I still think that England should have stuck with him rather than having him in and out of the side like a blue-arsed fly.

Yeah, I have the same opinion about Ramprakash. He's got an even worse record than Hick, but he didn't have any holes in his technique. He'd get dropped when he was actually in a good run of form, and he seemed more likely to step up when we needed an innings rather than just doing it when it was irrelevant.

As for today's play, I had a feeling that all that happiness at yesterday would fade away once Australia had a go on such a slow wicket. Draw's looking pretty likely now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, pretty disappointing pitch. It hasn't turned all that much (even though it is only day 2) and even the turn that has been there has been slow and unlikely to cause much bother. I'd suggest a draw as well.

• Moderators

I'm quite enjoying this chat about mid 90's English Cricket. Good work. I always felt we struggled for an All Rounder during this period. Craig White and Mark Ealham were decent enough, but I never understood the hype for the Hollioakes. Chris "Coke" Lewis was a particular shithorse.

• Paid Members
I'm quite enjoying this chat about mid 90's English Cricket. Good work. I always felt we struggled for an All Rounder during this period. Craig White and Mark Ealham were decent enough, but I never understood the hype for the Hollioakes. Chris "Coke" Lewis was a particular shithorse.

Craig White had his moments in test cricket - he played some great knocks on the sub-continent against the spinners and could bowl reverse swing as well as anyone at the time. But he didn't contribute enough often enough. Ealham was a solid one day player and was a really tight bowler but never really did owt with the bat.

Ben Hollioake should have been a quality player but he never really tried hard enough to put the work in to go with the talent. His brother was never really test class but a useful player to have in one dayers. Lewis had all the tools to be a quality bowling all-rounder - he could be genuinely quick, he was a great fielder, and he could really have done a good job at number 8. Unfortunately, he is a pea-brain - see the 'Prat Without A Hat' incident.

Don't forget Ronnie Irani!

• Paid Members
I used to be a huge Dermot Reeve mark, only played in a handful of tests though :(

I remember in a county match once a spinner was bowling round the wicket to him. So knowing that he was unlikely to be out LBW, he kept throwing his bat away just before each ball so he couldn't edge it or get a bat-pad. Barmy but brilliant.

Edited by Setting Sun

Very disappointed with how England performed in the cricket today, if there going to be in with a chance they are going to need to take quick wickets in the first session before the 'lunch' interval, Ricky Ponting and Simon Katich both need to be out and in the pavillion early otherwise England will be fucked in this test! - I just can't believe that Australia hit 249 and only lost one freaking wicket, damnit!