The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

If the tournament is in England, the final is always going to be at Lord's, it's the Wembley of cricket (or to be more exact, Wembley is the Lord's of football). And also the biggest cricket ground in the country. I think the Oval gets too much prominence though, they always play a test there every year meaning two in London. They should play one at Lord's every year but the rest of the grounds should be cycled through in order, meaning the Oval misses out some years.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

If the tournament is in England, the final is always going to be at Lord's, it's the Wembley of cricket (or to be more exact, Wembley is the Lord's of football). And also the biggest cricket ground in the country.

Don't care, it's a Test Match pitch, one day has transitioned so much to runs that the final should have been Edgbaston, cracking batting wicket and a ground that holds a phenomenal atmosphere, plus a fifth of the ground wouldn't have been made up of old farts rolling their eyes at music being played at the cricket.Ā 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Don't care, it's a Test Match pitch, one day has transitioned so much to runs that the final should have been Edgbaston, cracking batting wicket and a ground that holds a phenomenal atmosphere, plus a fifth of the ground wouldn't have been made up of old farts rolling their eyes at music being played at the cricket.Ā 

Also it's worth noting the pitch still does something for the bowlers.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Suggesting the final shouldn't have been at Lord's is complete and total nonsense. For all its faults, it's one of the most iconic sporting venues in the world and the atmosphere, to me anyway, sounded absolutely great. The pitch was exactly what the game needed - it offered an even contest between bat and ball, ODIs were getting so you might as well have a bowling machine out there. I can't see how you could possibly fault anything about this occasion, it was probably the most dramatic and perfectly played out single sports match I've ever seen.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Suggesting the final shouldn't have been at Lord's is complete and total nonsense. For all its faults, it's one of the most iconic sporting venues in the world and the atmosphere, to me anyway, sounded absolutely great. The pitch was exactly what the game needed - it offered an even contest between bat and ball, ODIs were getting so you might as well have a bowling machine out there. I can't see how you could possibly fault anything about this occasion, it was probably the most dramatic and perfectly played out single sports match I've ever seen.

There are a couple of perfectly valid points to why it shouldnt be the world cup venue but even playing devils advocate I think you are completely right and something you said others havent about the pitch being brilliant is spot on

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, ElCece said:

There are a couple of perfectly valid points to why it shouldnt be the world cup venue

I can't think of any. It's not called the Home of Cricket for no reason. It's the venue that all cricketers want to play in. Playing it anywhere else would be ridiculous.

• Paid Members

The fact that it is called the home of cricket for me isnt the be all and end all. It is a great ground in by far our largest populous city so it should be the final venue

Ā 

Why it shouldnt? Often the crowds are meh and also the pitch doesnt suit us. It is our world cup after all.

Ā 

I'm not saying I think these arguments should win out but I do think it is worth notingĀ 

Edited by ElCece
Drunken nonsense

• Paid Members

Lower scoring games of cricket are always much more fun to watch than run-fests. It's about balance between bat and ball. Absolutely nothing wrong with that surface other than it didn't suit England and, with home advantage, you'd think the groundsman would be on our side. šŸ˜‚

• Paid Members

I don't think it was a great surface for a final of a World Cup and we're conflating the quality of the surface with the brilliant ending that was as much luck as due to the pitch. Contest between bat and ball and all that, but I don't think someone likeĀ Ā Colin de Grandhomne who averages nearly 45 with the ball should be hooping it round corners at 73mph like Darren Stevens in an April Championship fixture.Ā 

I find it crackers that after this, the counties aren't even playing a 50 over tournament of any meaning next year!

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

He wasn't hoopig it round corners though. He got a litle nibble off the surface and was bowling at a time when England were struggling and didn't look to attack him, Williamson used him brilliantly. Stokes and Buttler showed how easy batting could be once they got in, and Latham didn't look in any trouble durig his stay either.

• Paid Members

I think saying it was "easy" is an exaggeration there and it was more than a bit of nibble. George Dobell from Cricinfo having talked to staff at Lord's seemed to think that theyĀ left too much grass on after the pitch had looked dry, so it's not even the pitch the groundsman wanted.

• Paid Members

Needless to say, that was incredible.

I've hardly seen anything of the tournament because I don't have the channels and I'm at work. I've followed most of it and watched highlights on the Beeb site but this was the first game I've seen thanks to them chucking it on Sky 1 and Channel 4. Hopefully it has the desired effect on a generation of kids. It was a wonderful watch and incredible finish.

Think England were destined to win it. We got some luck. Roy being sent up not out off the first ball, that bouncer near the end that went for four, Boult stepping on the boundary for six and that dive from Stokes. That and not actually scoring more runs than them. NZ were a real class act. Australia would have been crying over it. So would we tbf.

• Paid Members

On the couple of Cricket forums I'm a member of it's inevitably been the Australia and India fans who have been livid over the result and not the Kiwis. Apparently India should have got the trophy because they topped the group, because who doesn't love world tournaments decided by round robin?

It's really nice to see the mainstream coverage though on the BBC homepage and stuff.Ā Even Boozy Brazil on TalkSport talked cricket this morning. Can't remember him ever talking much about itĀ before outside of him calling Ryan ten Doeschate 'Ryan ten do Shat' about a decade ago.

Edited by Gus Mears

7 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

On the couple of Cricket forums I'm a member of it's inevitably been the Australia and India fans who have been livid over the result and not the Kiwis. Apparently India should have got the trophy because they topped the group, because who doesn't love world tournaments decided by round robin?

It's really nice to see the mainstream coverage though on the BBC homepage and stuff.Ā Even Boozy Brazil on TalkSport talked cricket this morning. Can't remember him ever talking much about itĀ before outside of him calling Ryan ten Doeschate 'Ryan ten do Shat' about a decade ago.

The Pakistan fans have been acting the same way cos they beat both teams in the groups, not sure why the Aussies are complaining though considering their bottle job against England