The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

In an era where England can field a decent XI of wicketkeeper batsmen, can we afford to play someone who is just primarily a great keeper in Knott or can we forgive Jos Buttler's lack of basic keeping fundamentals in favour of his big hitting funky spastic style?

Knott scored nearly 4400 Test runs at an average of nearly 33 with 5 hundreds and 30 50s, so it's not like he doesn't know which end to hold. He is without doubt the best English wicketkeeper of all time and is probably worth a couple of wickets extra per game. 

Swann is a good bowler who benefited immensely from DRS. Emburey would most likely ended up with more wickets than Swann if he'd had the same technology. Plus you can't get away from the fact that Embers once answered a question about his injured knee with the immortal line "The fucking fuckers fucking fucked" That is the level of wisdom every dressing room needs. 

• Moderators

Gooch,

Cook,

Smith,

Gower,

Hick (sorry),

Stewart (WK)

Botham,

Swann

Willis,

Anderson,

Simon Jones.

The batting from 8 is weak as tits. But I'm sticking with it. Jones is a bit of a wildcard, but the swing he was able to get until his body collapsed on him was prodigious. I nearly conisidered Wayne Larkins with his head on for opener too. That was too much of a romantic's choice though.

Edited by PowerButchi

So we beat India then.

I think we'll turn New Zealand over too, they're the most overrated side in the tournament. The fixtures fell fantastically well for them, as they played the 4 weakest sides first and were then rained off against India. Whenever they've come up against a decent side they've got turned over- Williamson is incredible though.

Great debate over the last 2 pages. I started watching in the 86/87 Ashes and my side would be....

Gooch

Cook

Vaughan (c)

Root

Pietersen 

Botham 

Russell

Swann

Dilley

Broad

Anderson

A few things to bring up. Firstly, Vaughan as captain. Following a bit of a resurgence under Hussain, Vaughan completely changed the mentality of the side after the 02/03 Ashes (a series where he played the Aussie attack with his cock end too). His captaincy was severely underrated, and we fell apart after his back went in 2006. It's a shame he's a dickhead now.

Gooch was a collossus. He would have scored probably another 2000 test runs too if he hadn't been a naughty boy and gone to South Africa, which caused him to miss basically 2 years in the prime of his career. 

Jack Russell was probably the hardest decision. But if there's a better glove man then I haven't seen him. I reckon he'd be a brilliant wind up merchant too in a good side. Its a shame he played when we were shite as his foibles were just laughed off by the opposition. But imagine him talking bollocks after we'd got 600-4 declared and Swann was bowling into the rough outside the left handers off stump. Be brilliant.

Pietersen has to be included. I can't see him getting on well with Broad, Anderson and Swann, seeing as their jealousy over his IPL money basically finished his England career, but fuck it.

Botham over Flintoff.

Ian Salisbury as 12th man.

Just on players I have seen in my time watching cricket from 05 onwards 

cook 

Strauss 

Root

Vaughan (c)

KP

Prior (k)

Flintoff

Swann

broad 

Hoggard

Anderson 

batting might be a bit weak from flintoff down but to me their is plenty of runs in that top 5, hoggard was vastly underrated for me and the other 3 pick theirselves in my eyes 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Max Power said:

A few things to bring up. Firstly, Vaughan as captain. Following a bit of a resurgence under Hussain, Vaughan completely changed the mentality of the side after the 02/03 Ashes (a series where he played the Aussie attack with his cock end too). His captaincy was severely underrated, and we fell apart after his back went in 2006. It's a shame he's a dickhead now.

Vaughan was indeed an outstanding captain. But if we had the 'I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with you' award for cricketers, he would be up there for me. Watching him do his lad routine on Instagram and stuff is embarrassing and he's miles behind where he ought to be when it comes to understanding mental health issues. His attitude to Trescothick when he was really starting to struggle mentally, ' I need you out there, I'm injured' is one thing back in 2005, but then following that up with accusing Jonathan Trott of 'conning people' when he left a tour due to burnout and what turned out to be depression is another. No excuse for it in this decade. 

9 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Vaughan was indeed an outstanding captain. But if we had the 'I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with you' award for cricketers, he would be up there for me. Watching him do his lad routine on Instagram and stuff is embarrassing and he's miles behind where he ought to be when it comes to understanding mental health issues. His attitude to Trescothick when he was really starting to struggle mentally, ' I need you out there, I'm injured' is one thing back in 2005, but then following that up with accusing Jonathan Trott of 'conning people' when he left a tour due to burnout and what turned out to be depression is another. No excuse for it in this decade. 

And if you believe the rumours, that wasn’t the worst thing he did to Trescothick...

I heard from a couple of national cricket journalists a few years back that Vaughan was having an affair with Trescothick’s wife during one of the tours (guess it was the 06-07 Ashes when he was injured), hence why Tres left one of the tours early.

I know Vaughan loosely, I played at his club about 12 years ago (the time of the 06/07 tour to be precise) and that rumour isn't true - as far as I'm aware.

However, it doesn't make any of his comments sound any better. And his social media presence these days are ignorant at best and cunty at worst. But I want a captain to win me the Ashes - and I believe he's the best man for the job.

To be fair there's a fair few wankers in my side. Pietersen, Broad and Swann are all arseholes, but as long as they bring back that little urn, I'm not too bothered.

Botham and Gooch will have to take them out on the piss and iron things out - then Russell can feed them soggy weetabix to get rid of the hangovers.

• Moderators

Are we all being tight on Tuffers? He was amazing when his head was on point. Great attacking Spinner when he wanted to be. 

Dawid Malan is on 177* overnight. Add him to the Ballance "in with a shout for recall if we lost the first test list". I'd love to see Toberlone Jones come back though. He was looking like a real test match animal until breaking his back last season. 

Edit: TRJ is avg 97 with the ball this year. :(

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Unfortunately TRJ doesn't seem to have come back from his injury the same bowler. Real shame as I'm with you he was great .

Also think Archer is pencilled in as the 3rd seamer and if not him it will be Wood. I reckon Woakes is right down the pecking order

• Paid Members

In more good England seamer news, Jamie Overton finally appears to have got his shit together and is able to bowl at 90 without horrific economy or multiple wides every over. I never thought he would make it if I'm honest, but he's been almost unrecognisable for Somerset in the past couple of games after we sent him on loan. Good option to have if we feel the need for some more outright pace alongside Archer (if Wood's leg falls off again, which is entirely possible).