The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Talksport2 is decent. Bumble and Athers sound fine on it. Gareth Batty's been great this series on commentary too. 

Shame Darren Gough is there to BANTER and fucking ruin it for everyone.

Anyway, TEA. Looks like Bairstow might be the answer to the number 3 conundrum.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Talksport2 is decent. Bumble and Athers sound fine on it. Gareth Batty's been great this series on commentary too. 

Shame Darren Gough is there to BANTER and fucking ruin it for everyone.

Goughie can ruin any match/show with his shit attempts at BANTER! It also seems his opinion of his own talent gets more overinflated as he gets older. He was a really good bowler, but you would think he was Glenn McGrath with the way he biggs his career up...

• Paid Members

As shit as Gough is at cricket commentary at least he isn't talking about football. Once on talk sport he claimed that Messi couldn't be regarded as on of the best footballers of all time because he could only play 1 position, and that because he could never have played in goal he wasn't that good. 

Bairstow batted very well, the ball is turning,  looks like another exciting game is in prospect. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

As shit as Gough is at cricket commentary at least he isn't talking about football. Once on talk sport he claimed that Messi couldn't be regarded as on of the best footballers of all time because he could only play 1 position, and that because he could never have played in goal he wasn't that good. 

Although Gough is a bonafide helmet, I would imagine this is from his Drive Time show with Adrian Gobshite Durham, which involves each of them in turn saying the stupidest possible thing they can so that morons spend money by phoning in.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Sky's commentary has fallen off a cliff. Listening in this morning and we've had what feels like 3 hours of Ian Ward, they've replaced Shane Warne with Brad Hogg (I can only assume management thought 'we need another Aussie spinner' and chose one at random) and David Lloyd sounds comatose. Rubbish. 

I think this is because it's not a Sky commentary team but a joint one with the host broadcasters. I think Brad Hogg's been ok actually but I don't know why Kumar Sangakkara wasn't asked to do it, he was the commentary star of the summer.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Although Gough is a bonafide helmet, I would imagine this is from his Drive Time show with Adrian Gobshite Durham, which involves each of them in turn saying the stupidest possible thing they can so that morons spend money by phoning in.

It would be easier to be a brain surgeon than to say something stupider than Adrian Durham for a living. 

• Paid Members

Just me who is bored witless of Bairstow's carry on? I

Good player, top knock today. Massive moaner. Also bangs on about himself constantly. 

After spending the last few weeks moaning about not being in the team, despite utterly atrocious form and an injured ankle, he's now whinging about being "castigated" even after proving his detractors wrong (Foakes is still a much better gloveman)

His celebration earlier was embarrassing. He's the Bret Hart of England cricket.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Bairstow is untouchable in this thread. Don't be that person who mangles facts in a sport thread. Love YJB like the rest of us.

MInd, I loved his show of passion and emotion when he made his ton, you coud hear his scream over Darren Gough's.

• Paid Members

I don't know how anyone can't have a full on man crush on Johnny B! @Gus Mears, you're just jealous you had a beautiful mop of ginger hair like the man himself!

On a more serious note, I don't think you can blame the lad for feeling a bit slighted by the wicket keeping situation. The work he put in off the pitch to turn himself from a decent County batsmen who could 'keep a bit to a world class test batsmen and more than decent test 'keeper was immense, and you could just feel that the new selection team were itching for a chance to take the gloves off him. 

Saying that, Folkes is looking like a top class wicket keeper and has show early promise with the bat, so he can't complain too much, and at least losing the gloves has freed him up to bat higher in the order which I think will suit him down to the ground in the long run...

• Moderators

Ed Smith has already declared Foakes will be keeping wicket in the West Indies (I refuse to use the abhorrent term the WICB call them now, when it was informally used it was ace, now it's shite). YJB at 3, Buttler should be at 5, I forsee Rashid dropped as only 2 spinners will go with one to play and one for 12th man and Leach has been pick of the bunch and Moeen is Sexy Moeen. And there's still Woakes to come back, and give us the Cricket version Forfar 5 East Fife 4 at 6, 7, 8.

So....

Preferably Wayne Larkins/Mark Lathwell/Chris Tavare

Preferably Wayne Larkins/Darren Maddy/Anyone

YJB,

Joe Root,

Buttler,

STOKES,

FOAKES,

WOAKES,

Ali,

Curran,

Anderson

That's my 11. 

• Moderators

Anyway, here's to our next tour

Great to see our very own D-Mal in Jack Duckworth's glasses throwing shocking forawrd defensives.

Extra points for wearing MCG colours as it's an overseas tour (Something which should be brought back), points lost for showing Athers readying to bowl a leg break in archive footage when he wasn't in the party for that tour. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Can't disagree about that lineup @PowerButchi. Looks like we will keep the same opening pair, which while it is probably the right thing to do, doesn't, fill me with any confidence. 

As for the spinners, whoever gets sent home is going to feel hard done by. All 3 excelled at some point in Sri Lanka, but I agree out of the three, Rashid brings the least amount of control....

• Paid Members

England will definitely take all three spinners to the West Indies and they will definitely play at least two of them. The pitches over there spin as much as anywhere these days, they just have a bit more bounce than the subcontinent. I can't see them changing the team much at all.