The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I was at an umpiring course with a professional first class umpire on Saturday.  We talked about Moeen. He said that having umpired him quite a few times that he can turn a ball on any pitch and has more zip in his bowling than any other English spinner. He thought he should bat 8 and be the 1st spinner. He's had probably the best view you can get so I'd trust him. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

more zip in his bowling than any other English spinner

That's damning with faint praise to be fair. I think in my lifetime Swann was the only consistent world class test spinner we had. Before then we were pretending Monty Panesar wasn't bang average and championing John Emburey's economy (Ok, Tuffers was ace, but still)

• Paid Members

I'm hopelessly biased, but I loved watching Jack Leach dropping the ball on a line and length this morning. He's a different spinner than Rashid or Moeen and can offer some of the consistent control that we haven't had since Swann buggered his elbow up. I doubt he'll play at home much, but he really should be a lock for an additional spinner berth away on spinning decks. 

Who Mo is depends on home or away. He seems incapable mentally of being a lone spinner at home, even though he can play like one at times. He's sure as shit not an opener or no.3 in the test side, especially if he's bowling quite a lot. 

• Paid Members

World class test spinners are few and far between because of our climate Butch. As Gus says, Leach is unlikely to play many tests at home because we just don't produce the pitches that require 2 spinners. Next year because off the World Cup the first round of Championship games start on the 4th of April. New Road will probably still be underwater at that point, and I can't see many spinning pitches around the rest of the country then either. No one will even need one spinner at that point. 

• Paid Members

How great is Rangana Herath by the way? Imagine having to follow in the footsteps of Muralitharan and going on to have that career, the pressure must have been incredible. And now he will go down as possibly the greatest left arm spinner, statistically, of all time.

Plus one for Herath.

Anyone like to offer any theories as to why we had four blokes on the boundary edge when Sri Lanka were 40-4 just after lunch.

It's the same kind of field I'd set on a Saturday to our 16 year old left armer bowling at some overseas pro.

Edit: With Jennings reverse sweeping the 31st ball of a test match Roy may yet get his go.

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

Yeah, I might have felt differently if my top score for my school team had been greater than 2. But in fairness to me, I was neglecting my batting to concentrate on my nagging Angus Fraser-esque seam-up.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What do we all think they are going to do with the team for the second test? It looks like they are going to have to drop a spinner for a quickie, but they all bowled at least decent in the last match, it will be a bt of a blow for whoever is carrying the drinks. Ali was shocking with the bat, but I have not seen him bowl as well away from home as he did last time out, and Jack Leitch was a joy to watch and provided so much control it would be a loss to no have him. Rashid wasn't as good with the ball,  but contributed to the first innings fight back with the bat. I wouldn't like to be the one deciding, that's for sure.

Then there's Bairstow. If he's fit do we bring him back in, or does he have to wait for his chance again(and that's without getting into a discussion about giving him the gloves back!)...

Edited by Cod Eye