The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Busted out International Cricket 2011 for the 360 a few days ago. Bought it pre-owned before we moved away in 2012 and never opened it. Nice to see England replicating one of the many farcical runouts I've been engaging in this week. 

How long has Cook been done? Did he ever recover after not being captain? 

• Moderators

I honestly think his eyes have gone. There's being out of nick, and then there is his past 18 months. No-one falls that steeply at, what, my age? 33, 34 is he now? I'd wager the faxct he's so poor is what keeps the likes of your Jennings' in call ups. As they'll knock an occasional 30  and Cook has built up so much goodwill that the poorly scoring outscorer will be retained.

Surely Rory Burns (Yet ANOTHER fucking wicket keeper) deserves as an England Opener by now though? Also, whisper it quietly, we could do worse than Ian Bell in the middle order currently. Could do a patch job at 3. He's in nick, and has a cool head, and isn't afraid to take the shine off the ball rather than wafting at it like a Vince.

Oh, also. another fucking soft run out. I know I keep on saying it, but there is no excuse for being run out in test cricket.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

It will be interesting to see how they approach today. 233 is a decent lead on a pitch that will probably turn for Ali and Rashid, but you wouldn't want to be bowled out in the first half hour and give them the best part of two days to knock them off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced that the last test would be Cook's final appearance. I've never seen him prod and feel at as many wide balls as he has done recently. It's like he's completely lost the ability to judge where his off stump is...

• Moderators

Moeen is an absolute phenom is home tests. It was fitting for Sam Curran to take the series winning wicket after his fine performanes. 

We've won a series against the number 1 ranked team in the world but it feels a bit fraudulent, mainly because out top order is possibly the worst I've seen in the 25 years Ive followed cricket.

The tail however is great with both bat and ball.

Great day's entertainment that!  But yeah, still feels like a lot of work to be done if this is anything more than a bit of a fluke, and on English pitches at that.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Moeen is an absolute phenom is home tests. It was fitting for Sam Curran to take the series winning wicket after his fine performanes. 

We've won a series against the number 1 ranked team in the world but it feels a bit fraudulent, mainly because out top order is possibly the worst I've seen in the 25 years Ive followed cricket.

It's hard to believe we have got a top order that can't play in English conditions. They looked like the had never seen a swinging ball before. 

• Paid Members

Stage is set for Jennings to get 70 odd in the final test and book himself on the boat to Sri Lanka. I bet they won't want two new guys opening, so he'll probably only need a half decent performance to stay in the team now.

Either that or what else? Burns and Buttler opening with Moeen at 3? 😲

• Paid Members

If I were one of the selectors, I'd take this opportunity to start a fresh with a completely new opening pair. Jennings just doesn't look anything near a test opener(and even a big score in the last test wouldn't change that fact) so I'd oust him. I honestly have no idea who the best replacement would be though, assuming that Burns will be taking Cook's place... 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

If I were one of the selectors, I'd take this opportunity to start a fresh with a completely new opening pair. Jennings just doesn't look anything near a test opener(and even a big score in the last test wouldn't change that fact) so I'd oust him. I honestly have no idea who the best replacement would be though, assuming that Burns will be taking Cook's place... 

I agree. I'm just not sure the selectors will! As a Kent fan, I'd like to see Joe Denly given a go. He averages over 55 in the Championship this year (admittedly division two) and he's also a genuine front-line leg spinner now too.