The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Kohli played the innings that Root should have played and hasn't played for about a year. Of course, it helped Kohli that England couldn't catch the flu.

As soon as Root reaches 50, he starts playing these pokey little shots that usually get him out. Until then, he looks the best player in the world. His dismissal never comes out of the blue, he's usually got away with two or three before he gets out.

Broad looks done, doesn't he? No sharpness to his bowling at all and he's not undercooked coming into this. Anderson is like Ambrose and McGrath and seems to be getting better and bowling more overs as he gets older. Sam Curran bowled beautifully, nice to see us pick a young bowler for something other than pace. There's no reason to persevere with Broad though, we have loads of seam and pace bowlers to call on. As long as it's not fucking Jake Ball.

• Paid Members

The Kohli vs Root test conversion rate is worth looking at. Tells a real story about which captain is personally able to grab the game by the bollocks when they get in (considering I don't think either are much good tactically).

Kohli has a 57% conversion rate from 50 (second only to the Don), Root is just under 20%. Unless he sorts it out, it will be the black mark over what in other statistical senses is a fabulous test career. 

• Paid Members

Like Butch said earlier, he's like Graham Thorpe, although I have to say I loved Thorpey even though when he was crap early in his England career I did used to call him Thorpe the gawp.

I don't understand why he doesn't just play after he reaches 50 like he does before he gets there. He breezes to 50s with no problem at all and then after that it's just the inevitable wait for a waft outside off stump or dragging a buffet ball on.

• Paid Members

I think you can even forgive Thorpe a little more due to him, from recollection, being further down the order (4/5 vs. 3/4) and because he wasn't as talented with the bat as Root is (I know that's probably sacrilege to Butch, but Root is Goweresque in terms of natural skill). This is before we get on to the general idiocy of the selectors at this time. Christ, Ed Smith might not be great, but I don't think it's possible to be as bad as Illingsworth and those immediately after him. 

This is a wonderfully poised test match. I bloody love Edgbaston, by a distance my favourite ground in the country for test cricket. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Has teams becoming shit at test cricket made it more exciting to watch for the neutral? 

I don't think teams lack of traditional test skills has made it more exciting on it's own. But when you add in a ball that stays harder and gives the bowlers more assistance longer and a pitch that brings the spinners into play into the mix, it definitely makes for more compelling viewing than a 5 day runfest on a track that is as flat as a fart, with a ball that goes like putty after 10 overs...

• Paid Members

What the fuck are England going to do with their batting line-up? I mean, I'm assuming they won't change it because they never bloody do but Jennings and Malan clearly shouldn't be there. Then there's Stokes who won't be playing. Probably time for Vince to come back in then seeing as though they're allergic to picking new young batsmen.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What the fuck are England going to do with their batting line-up? I mean, I'm assuming they won't change it because they never bloody do but Jennings and Malan clearly shouldn't be there. Then there's Stokes who won't be playing. Probably time for Vince to come back in then seeing as though they're allergic to picking new young batsmen.

3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

The Grauniad reckons Joe Clarke is next cab off the rank.

I'd fuck Mallan off totally, as I just don't think he will ever get any consistency. Jennings, not so sure about, but again I'm leaning toward sacking him off for now.

Like the look of Joe Clarke, and I agree with the consensus that he should be at least in and around the squad. Also, I was at Headingley a few weeks ago and got talking to Martin Moxon(who I know through being matey with Darren Gough from years ago), and he was saying how the England selectors are keeping a close eye on batsmen Tom Cohler-Cadmore. I hope they are looking with the longer term in mind though as I don't think he's anywhere near ready for the step up in class...

• Moderators

I suppose the question is now do we go for tried and test county championship players, or do the Duncan Fletcher approach of finding the players with the right tangibles for test cricket regardless of county performance and nurture them?