The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

35 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Oh, and it'll be 20 overs of five runs each rather than the original 15 normal overs and then a 10-ball over to finish. 

I think you mean five deliveries rather than runs. Either way, it's just not proper cricket. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

I think you mean five deliveries rather than runs. Either way, it's just not proper cricket. 

Ah yes - I shouldn't rant so late.

10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

They still on about bowling from the same end all inning?

There was something about changing every two overs, which confused me about what exactly an over is at that point.

• Paid Members

This 100 bullshit sounds like desperation to me. The ECB failed to capitalize on the T20 format they invented, allowing India to become the big money maker, and so are clutching at straws to make sure it doesn't happen again...

• Paid Members

It's a badly conceived plan being developed by imbeciles. I hate everything from rationale through to delivery. I'm not one of the 'it's not cricket' brigade for a lot of changes to the game, but the difference here is that the 100 will just be shit cricket. This is before we get to the fact that it will further ruin parts of the game (Championship cricket) that I actually like.

It's main supporters appear to be the usual crop of feather nesting cunts like David Lloyd, who will spin any stream of bullshit in favour of it because they will get paid to commentate. He's the Sarah Huckabee-Sanders of cricket. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

So what do we make of the Adil Rashid brouhaha?

It strikes me that I don't really think Rashid can be blamed at all for this. He chose not to play first class cricket because it didn't seem as though he would be getting tests any time soon. The selectors are the ones at fault here, especially for not asking him to play some first class games as preparation - which I reckon he would have done if they'd told him their plans.

Ed Smith seems like an intelligent bloke but as soon as someone becomes chairman of selectors they lose all brain function. It's a real kick to the batch of good young spinners we actually now have in this country as well.

• Paid Members

I'm pissed, but it's probably mostly because I support Somerset and I don't like Bess and Leach being overlooked for someone playing a different game (they haven't been in the best of form really though). My anger at the Championship gradually having it's bollocks lopped off has largely just reduced to apathy and watching baseball instead. The likes of Vaughan saying 'he should have turned it down' are talking nonsense though, what player would do that?

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I was pleased to see Rashid call him stupid because he's right. There's no way you're turning down test cricket, imagine the response to him if he'd done that!

I personally think he's only been chosen because he got Kohli out in that ODI. It's the sort of narrow-thinking selection that we were supposed to have been rid of 15 years ago.

What was the point of giving Crane, Bess and Leach a go if you're going to overlook them? And, to a degree, Matt Parkinson who's been on the England radar this season?

• Paid Members

I think Rashid is a world class spinner, and it's great to see him getting the recognition after watching him come up through the ranks at Yorkshire. Thing is, this call up really doesn't sit right with me as a Yorkshire fan.

At the end of the day, he has left us a little short at times in the County Championship by not playing red ball cricket, to the point we have had to draft in a spinner for a single game. So to see him happily take the test call up(although I can't blame the lad) is a kick in the bollocks. Only saving grace for us seems to be that the selectors have indicated that it's a one time thing and that all players have to be red ball contracted in the future, which should mean Crane, Leach and co will be back in with a shout...

• Paid Members

Great to hear Michael Holding back on today. Sky seem to be a bit commentator heavy though, I don't think we really need Ian Ward, do we? I quite like Isa Guha though but I do miss Shane Warne already. Kumar Sangakkara has been a great addition. Harbhajan Singh has been shite.

• Paid Members

I could listen to Michael Holding read the telephone directory; what a voice. After a winter of listening to Graeme Swann's impressions, I'm OK with this, even if Ian Ward doesn't really have any business being there.

Solid first session for England. I thought we'd end up 3 down in classic fashion. The ball Ashwin bowled to dismiss Cook was an absolute beauty. 

My main issues with the Sky coverage now is the diluting of the Verdict. Bob Willis shitting on the team each evening was a vital part of my viewing enjoyment. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Another pig's ear of a batting display though. Cruising along in little trouble and then collapse to a bunch of crap shots and a run-out. India should get 500 on this and Ashwin will probably bowl us out for about 150 second time round for an innings win.

• Moderators

450 is par for the wicket played on today. Only Young Jonny Bairstow put his hand up today for my money, although he's our finest batsman anyway in my book. Root's run out was a fucking farce. 1st innings of a test match, 1st day, getting run out (especially as captain) is inexcusable. Why push for two during the evening session, first innings on the first day? It fucking beggars belief. Also, as captain Root NEEDS to start making daddy hundreds. His average is strong but his conversion rate is terrible. Today on that pitch he should have been looking at a controlled but solid 120+ before going into the sheds. His fucking conversersion rate was poor before becoming captain, it's worse now. He's essentially Graham Thorpe. Great for 60 or 70, but isn't making the big scores and as captain he should be making those daddy centuries when he's got his eye in as he did today. Maybe it's white ball thinking? Or, he hasn't got a cricketing brain. After all, England is his first assignment as skipper. The white rose know something we don't.

Tuffers made a good point on TMS before the toss that our bowling attack is dogshit. Anderson and Broad are creaking, Stokes is unfit, in shocking form and his head  is away, Curran is there for his batting (over the tough choices of trundling Ball and Mark "One over 90mph+ plus then having a back like Dynamite kid and wheezing like Roland off Grange Hill" Wood. At least Toberlone Jones for a trundler has great control of line and length and great seam movement off Midlands pitches [He's like Martin Bicknell or Watkin for me, Aggers. Horses for uncovered watered English Wicket courses], injured though he is unfortunately, and Steven Finn and Jamie Overton [LEGITIMATE QUICKS!] still exist), and Rashid's head must be all over the shop (Tuffers opinions, not mine [other than those bracketed]). I think it may have been worth dropping Malan for Moeen at 4. His home record is fantastic, and Malan's honeymoon period is over. So we had to hit a 400-450. 

Edited by PowerButchi