The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

11 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Wish Root could have got through the day. Narrowly Australia's, especially if you look at what is to come batting wise (stating the obvious, but what a difference Stokes would make at this point). It's a weird, weird pitch that is not anything like what I would have expected at the GABBA and consequently, quite hard to say what a good score is. Generally, you'd think in Australia you need to be looking at 400+. but I am not so sure here if it keeps spinning/quickens up. 

Just a heads-up that the Gabba isn't an acronym like the WACA is, Gus. 

• Paid Members

Another finely poised day at the GABBA. Entire match hinges on whether we can get Smith out early tomorrow, in my view. Not a lot left in terms of batting for Australia, but Smith could easily get 150 or so and bat us out of the game.

Think the weather forecast predicting a possibility of rain, which is not bad thing. Would have bitten your arm off for a draw here before the start of the series. 

Edited by Gus Mears

Well that had an air of inevitability about it. Listen, if we can brush decades of kiddy fiddling in the tory party and radio one under the carpet, we sure as hell can send one of our minor criminals off to Australia to compete for the ashes. It's what we invented that country for. Lose the next test and we are looking down the barrel of an Ozzy bukake party. Time to unleash Stokes. 

• Paid Members

Think the biggest annoyance for me was both Ball and Woakes being useless. Ball, I can somewhat forgive, because he's shite and shouldn't be there in the first place, but I had such hopes for Woakes and he appears to have joined the Steve Finn school of perpetual disappointment. Broad and Anderson were far from exceptional, but a cut above. Fuck knows what we're going to do once they retire.

I'm also in favour of having Stone Cold Ben Stokes out there and playing. Get him in and drop one of the fast-medium Chuckle Brothers and the whole team looks much better.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Not good enough after winning the toss. Anderson and Broad were shite and pitching it some place which would have been great if you were Joel Garner.

Seeing Craig Overton play was an absolute pleasure. I've seen him live countless times and watched him since the very start of his career. He's really our first proper Somerset test player since Trescothick (Compton was never truly ours). Thought he was our best bowler on the day too.

• Paid Members

To only get them 4 down when you have put them in simply isn't good enough. Then to hear England saying that they thought they bowled pretty well all day makes it even worse. As Gus says it was a good length if you were Joel Garner, unfortunately they bowled more like Joel Gertner. 

Utterly mystifying decision from Root to bowl first. I was tuned into the first two sessions on and off, then watched the final. The bowling in the evening session was pretty tight on the whole, but from the sounds of it, that was very much the exception.

Smith being gone is key, but it was very much Australia's day. I can see us being blown away once we bat. Big pressure on Cook to deliver too, he didn't impress me in the first Test. Root needs a few runs too unless we want to rely on the newer squad members to spare humiliation.

• Paid Members

Innings break, so hope this isn't in contravention of live chat (apologies if so).

Absolute shambles (Charles), every bit as embarrassing as I anticipated before the series. The lack of fight and desire the most saddening bit. Only ray of light in the mire has been Craig Overton's performance; showed fight with the bat and ball. Will almost certainly be dropped for the next test in favour of Woakes/Anderson/Broad I would imagine. 

• Paid Members

The simple fact is that none of them bowled well enough on the first day to warrant bowling first. Worse than the bowling of any of the seamers is the fact that Moeen can't turn the ball and Lyon is turning it miles. Once we've lost this test, and we will anyway no matter how well we bowl, they have to give Crane a go if Moeen doesn't turn it. 

• Paid Members

What are we thinking now then? I think that if Root can get to three figures, and at least one of Bairstow or Ali can get in the groove, then we have a real chance of what would be a historic come back!

For me though, one of the key aspects will be how they handle the batting line up tommorow. Hopefully, Woakes can defend his wicket for a while to take the sting out of the fresh pace attack. Then I'd personally move Johnny B up above Ali as I can see Lyons having a field day against the Left handers on a day 5 pitch...