Kent Walton

-10 minutes on seated bike.

-15 reps on leg extention.

-10 minutes on treadmill.

-15 reps on shoulder press.

-15 reps on chest press.

-10 minutes on upright bike.

-15 reps on ab curl.

Then stick a fork in me, i'm done. Burger time! lol. The cardio vascular equipment gets boring after abit.

To be fair i've only been going 2 months. One thing I hate about the treadmill is when i'm doing my steady pace, about 2.5mph and then some poser who clearly dosen't need to be there shows me up by going like 60 MPH (not literally).

How about you?

I teach Bodypump so that makes up a big part of my workout. I teach on average 3 times a week, but sometimes more (two classes in one night or one morning and one evening class etc) so I base the other elements of my workout around that.

After a while working out in the gym becomes dull, so classes are a great alternative. You'll work hard for an hour but it won't even seem like half that.

A week for me consists of

Monday: Bodypump/Yoga

Tuesday: Day Off or if I'm teaching, Bodypump

Wednesday: Bodypump/Body Attack

Thursday: Body Combat/Body Pump

Friday: Indoor Football

Saturday: Body Combat/Yoga

Why are you mixing Cardio and resistance training? Do Resistance first then cardio afterwards.

Anyway heres my routine (I workout with weights at home)

DAY 1

Bench Press - Dumbbells, Inclined

3 sets: 12 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps

Flyes - Dumbbell, Inclined Bench

Dumbbell Curl - Incline

1 set: 12 reps

Dumbbell Curl - Seated

2 sets: 12 reps, 12 reps

Crunch

4 sets: 25 reps, 25 reps, 25 reps, 25 reps

DAY 2

Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift

Bent Over Dumbbell Row

One-Arm Dumbbell Row

Lunges - Dumbbell

4 sets: 12 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps

Calf Raise - Dumbbell, Seated, One-Leg

Calf Raise - Dumbbell, Standing

DAY 3

Side Lateral Raise

Shoulder Press - Dumbbell, Seated

Shrugs - Dumbbell

Rear Delt Raise - Dumbbell, Lying

1 set: 12 reps

Tricep Extension - Dumbbell, Lying

Tricep Kickbacks - Dumbbell

Only just started again really. Weights I'm OK with but a friends is setting up a fat burning routine for me. I've also cut down on a lot of crap foods and started eating salads at lunch time. Anyway:

Bench Press - 25kg

4 sets of 20

Dumbell Curls - 10kg each

4 sets of 20

Squats

2 sets of 50

Nothing spectacular but my priority at the moment is to lose fat mass and gain a bit of muscle for my wedding/honeymoon. I fear will be harpooned on the beach in my current condition. I get married on 25th July, I don't expect to be ripped by then obviously but I'd like to lose the majority of my stomach fat at least. Weight doesn't bother me, losing my fat is essential though.

Just remember that Weight lifting burns fat too. Muscle burns fat so make sure your lifting as hard as your cardio.

This is is really good site/forum for training routines and diet etc

Bodybuilding.com

forum.bodybuilding.com

Yeah, agree with Krazy. If you are going to lift weights you want to be doing consecutive sets. I'm not entirely sure in the science behind it (so hopefully someone can help me out), but the first set just eases the fibres, and the later sets actually work the muscle.

I just bought a 2nd hand bar/bench and am about to buy a cheap rowing machine..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Fitness-R501-...9991&sr=8-1

.. so just do 6 x 3 exercises on biceps/triceps, chest/back, delts/shoulders every other day on rotation and will do 15-20 mins of rowing beforehand. Far prefer sport for cardio so play football or squash and try and swim for an hour every Saturday.

Personally, as someone who works in the fitness industry I'd recommend that you stay WELL away from forums like bodybuilding.com and especially T-Nation, as on sites like these you will typically be faced with infinately more bullshit than sound advice and it has personally taken me years to learn how to sift through all that crap and discover what works and what doesnt.

The best advice I can give to anyone who works out is to keep it simple! Seriously, given that most of us arnt competitive bodybuilders and only really train to increase our strength and health, the only exercises you will ever really need are:

Bench Press

Rows

Overhead Press

Pulldowns

Squats or Leg Press

Deadlifts

And (optional)

Barbell Curls

Triceps Extension

Most variations of the above exercises are fine too, but always try and exercise with free weights where possible as they make movements more natural than machines and build more functional strength. You can save more exotic exercises like lateral raises and flyes for when youve actually built some mass and want to seperate and shape it, but until then the compound exercises Ive given you should be perfectly sufficient to build yourselves up with.

As someone who PRETENDS to work in the fitness industry yet ignores improvements in training, nutrition and supplementation in the last 30-40 years, i would recommend ignoring pretty much everything Casey V says and acknowledge that things have improved and evolved in the last 30-40 years and will continue to improve and evolve even more in the next 30-40 years - just like everything else!

As a life long bodybuilding competitor, gym owner, personal trainer, show promoter and judge i would recommend everyone to visit various bodybuilding and fitness websites and learn as much as possible (you can never know enough, i've been training for nearly 25 years and i still read bodybuilding magazines, websites, talk to pros etc)

My training split -

Mon - Front/side shoulders/ triceps/abs

tues - Back/rear delts/traps

thur - chest/biceps

fri - full legs

(i also do some light cardio in the way of martial arts training on wed and sat)

Diet is the most important thing for me -

meal 1. 10 egg whites, 100 grams of porridge oats mixed with 1 scoop of pro peptide, 1 apple, pro vital, 3 capsules of pro lipid.

meal 2. 200 grams of chicken breast, 80grams (dry weight) of brown rice), 250grams of mixed vegetables.

Train

meal3. (immediatly post workout) 2 scoops of pro recover and i bannana (i start sipping this about 10 mins before completetion of training

meal 4. (about 1 hour after training) 2 rump steaks, 300 grams of jacket potato, 250 grams of mixed vegetables

meal 5. 1 X Pro MR and 3 rice cakes (i need the extra carbs)

meal 6. 200 grams of chicken breast, 80grams of brown rice (dry weight), 250 grams of mixed vegetables (same as meal 2)

meal 7. 1 can of tuna (130grams), 300 grams of jacket potato, 1 scoop of udo's oil (an efa bland of omega 3,6 and 9)

meal 8. pro peptide, 3 capsules of pro lipid

Pro peptide and pro mr is a protein blend of fast and slow release proteins and the slow protein (miscellular casein) is in your system for 7 hours, so it's ideal supplement for before bed and will keep your blood stream flowing with amino acids while you're asleep.

I take 5 grams of glutamine and 5 capsules of creatine ethyl ester before meals 2, 5 and 7.

Im 5'10 and weigh about 230ibs (16st 6) and in decentish condition, at my best when i used to compete i weighed 238ibs ripped and shredded, but now im older with a couple of nagging injuries, i train a bit lighter now as i no longer compete lol

For begginers - stick to basics, compound movements and really learn to 'work' the muscle rather than lifting a weight from a to b, full stretch and contraction is the key, muscle control takes years to really maser (kinda like how it takes a martial artist years to master his moves, kicks, throws, punches etc)

I've never set foot in a gym since school but i plan on joining a gym soon :) So could anyone explain to me sets/reps etc?

If you're just starting out, then 6 months of light cicuit training and learning how to use muslces properly is your best bet.

After 6 months you can then switch to a 3 day split -

Mon - upper body push (front chest/front shoulders/triceps)

wed - Legs

Fri - upper body pull (back side and rear delts, traps, biceps)

meal 1. 10 egg whites, 100 grams of porridge oats mixed with 1 scoop of pro peptide, 1 apple, pro vital, 3 capsules of pro lipid.

meal 2. 200 grams of chicken breast, 80grams (dry weight) of brown rice), 250grams of mixed vegetables.

Train

meal3. (immediatly post workout) 2 scoops of pro recover and i bannana (i start sipping this about 10 mins before completetion of training

meal 4. (about 1 hour after training) 2 rump steaks, 300 grams of jacket potato, 250 grams of mixed vegetables

meal 6. 200 grams of chicken breast, 80grams of brown rice (dry weight), 250 grams of mixed vegetables (same as meal 2)

meal 7. 1 can of tuna (130grams), 300 grams of jacket potato, 1 scoop of udo's oil (an efa bland of omega 3,6 and 9)

Pro peptide and pro mr is a protein blend of fast and slow release proteins and the slow protein (miscellular casein) is in your system for 7 hours, so it's ideal supplement for before bed and will keep your blood stream flowing with amino acids while you're asleep.

I take 5 grams of glutamine and 5 capsules of creatine ethyl ester before meals 2, 5 and 7.

This is the thing that stops me being totally ripped :laugh: I just cannot be arsed eating in such a regimented way. Don't get me wrong, I eat well (i.e. dont eat crap), but I think food is something that should fundamentally be enjoyed rather than be used as a means to an end.

Your way of doing things will without a doubt get results, but it's not fun (at least I don't think it is and I think people struggling to get into going to the gym will struggle to think its fun either) and people won't stick to doing it - certainly not the diet part.

I see this all the time in the gym - unless you're of the mindset that you are going to be really disciplined, then most people will just stop going to the gym after a while.

And that's why I recommend group exercise. I know people think stuff like Bodypump 'won't do much for you', mainly because it's woman who attend these classes, but speaking from personal experience, that's crap.

By all means, do weights outside and do your cardio too, but give that a try and you might find you actually enjoy doing it. And if you're actually enjoying what you're doing you'll get a lot more out of it.

Train

This is the thing that stops me being totally ripped :laugh: I just cannot be arsed eating in such a regimented way. Don't get me wrong, I eat well (i.e. dont eat crap), but I think food is something that should fundamentally be enjoyed rather than be used as a means to an end.

Your way of doing things will without a doubt get results, but it's not fun (at least I don't think it is and I think people struggling to get into going to the gym will struggle to think its fun either) and people won't stick to doing it - certainly not the diet part.

I see this all the time in the gym - unless you're of the mindset that you are going to be really disciplined, then most people will just stop going to the gym after a while.

And that's why I recommend group exercise. I know people think stuff like Bodypump 'won't do much for you', but speaking from personal experience, that's crap.

LOL, yes mate you're right it's not much fun but it's what produces the best results!

I must make 1 point clear though, i didn't start out like this and jump straight into this level of discipline, i worked up to it over years and years becoming more and more disciplined with every passing year, i started out pretty much like everyone else, just training my entire body and lifting way tooo heavy (i think everyoine starts out like this just loading up the bar to see 'how much they can bench') I now see this as a mistake and should have switched to a 3 day split after 6 months.

Bodypump is what it is, good for cardio/fitness but it won't build much muscle, diet is by far the most important aspect of the puzzle though, training (to me at least) is the easy bit (no matter how intense) training is the fun part, it's the 23 hours outside of the gym that is the real test of will and determination - weighing all your food, counting calories, eating the same meals at the same times in the same order every day, training at the same times, sleeping at the same times, spending all your money on food and supplements while your mates are going out drinking and partying every weekend - it's a 24/7 lifestyle and at the end of it you get the physique you want (or as near as) while ignorant, narrowminded people who know nothing about bodybuilding, have never stepped foot inside a gym and are out of shape through their lifestyle choice just chalk it up to a 'magic potion' than you bought in a vial!

It's kinda like how ignorant people just brush of wrestling as been 'all fake', the un-educated just don't understand or respect the art form, the skill and psycology of true storytelling in the way of a great wrestling match to respect pro wrestling, it's the same with bodybuilding, people just don't realise how much hard work goes into been a bodybuilder - it takes more than 10 years to build a good quality physique! If only it was that easy as a 'magic drug/s', then everyone who's ever used gear would walk around looking like Mr Olympia :rolleyes:

Your absolutely right. Diet is vitally important.

I made peace with the fact my bodyfat ratio ain't going below a certain margin years ago :laugh:

There quite simply isn't enough education about the importance of diet - as well as everything else fitness related - going on in gyms (at least not the chain ones) in my opinion.

Of course, this is partly because if they actually educated the average punter, they wouldn't splash out for PT sessions a few times a week.

But the greatest loss of revenue a gym has is that people turn up, expect instant results, do things they don't actually enjoy doing, and then leave.

Archived