The Wire comes to UK Tv..

hitman89762000

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you're not running out shouting "GOT THAT PANDEMIC!" or something, but yeah, I'm sure we've all picked up something from The Wire that we incorporated into our daily lives. Who among us when getting chewed out by a member of the "fairer" sex hasn't looked sheepish and proclaimed; "What did I do?" with the utmost sincerity and pleading innocence?

• Paid Members

I know a couple of people (all middle aged) who have trouble with the dialogue. Anyone in their 20s though is fine with it. i think the dialogue is 99% understandable with the exception of the amazing Snoop that is.

And rochellerochelle, don't worry about a thing. Season 4 is the best season. The change in style will jar you at first but by the end of it you will marvel at how great it was. It's easily the msot emotional of all the seasons.

Also, I will use this as the perfect opportunity to show you my badass Wire t-shirt I got off eBay last week.

clay%20davis.jpg

• Paid Members

From S3:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Aside from seeing Rawls in the gay club (I literally howled at that) I cannot stand the smug prick in the slightest. I just wanted Bunny to flip him off on the way out.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I'm sure we've all picked up something from The Wire that we incorporated into our daily lives.

Indeed, I suddenly found that I was using a Clay Davis-style "Shiiiiiiiiiiitt" in regular conversation.

I hadn't watched The Wire before, but was hooked after watching the first season on BBC2. I've since gone and bought all 5 seasons on DVD and worked through them. Loved it - as soon as I finished one episode I was immediately wanting to watch the next. I don't think there has ever been a TV series before where the characters have absolutely hooked me in the way that they did with The Wire.

• Admin

I definitely think the dialogue is difficult to understand, in terms of the terminology they use. I understand the words that they're saying but it takes a while to grasp what they actually mean. I found the police and politicians harder to understand than the street kids.

I've never actually watched any of the Wire. I had heard about how good it was on tv but decided to wait. I've now got all five seasons waiting to be watched. When I get into a TV show I like to watch a few episodes at a time. I'm looking forward to starting this one!

I found the police and politicians harder to understand than the street kids.

Aw, mos def, yo! (sorry)

I still can never remember what a MOPE is. Although I do like to use the system of 1=Black 2=White.

This whole sheeyit thing. I've now watched up to the end of Season 3 and I can't remember him saying it yet. Has it been edited out, or does the phenomenon kick in in Season 4?

I can't believe how bleak Stringer's storyline was. Gutted.

• Paid Members
I found the police and politicians harder to understand than the street kids.

Aw, mos def, yo! (sorry)

I still can never remember what a MOPE is. Although I do like to use the system of 1=Black 2=White.

I'm pretty sure mope doesn't mean anything specific, it's just a general description for a low level criminal who happens to be pretty stupid. Eg. Marlo Stanfield would not be referred to as a mope because of his intelligence and reputation but someone insignificant and stupid like Little Kevin or Spyder would defininitely be referred to as a mope.

One thing the cops always use in it is the term "red ball" which they never explain in the show but in the book Homicide by David Burns it explains that it's a murder that actually matters (eg. a white suburban housewife or small child) and gets attention from the press, city hall etc. and the detective gets extra overtime and assistance.

Re-up and mope have definitely entered my lexicon, as well as the use of the word "police" as in "he's good police".

5-0 has been around for years of course, but good to see it's still going.

Archived