The Wire comes to UK Tv..

hitman89762000

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed the first episode. The only gripe I had was how fast the young guy who got off the murder charge turned so fast. I thought he'd fuck up a few more times before bucking up.

I await tonights episode.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

For those who have stuck with it this far despite the BBC's less than sympathetic (although with F's and C's understandable) scheduling - Well done. Hopefully last night's chess analogy was rewarding enough (when I finally got hooked in) but if you are watching tonight you get CSI debunked (by The Bunk naturally) in four foul mouthed minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the BBC have picked it up for the second season? I really want to continue watching it, and quite like its current schedule, so am hoping they continue with it.

Does anyone know if the BBC have picked it up for the second season? I really want to continue watching it, and quite like its current schedule, so am hoping they continue with it.

There's a 2 week break for the Snooker, then Season 2 is on the week after.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead, but i have just caught up to bbc 2 pace by watching like 8 episodes of season 3 in about 24 hours. So naturally i now feel the need to let out my hate for certain characters.

I will put everything in spoilers just in case someone isn't upto bbc 2 pace.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

First things first, i love season 3! we are 8 episodes in and i think its safe to say this has been the best season so far, mainly due to Stringer Bell (in my opinion the best character on the show) being so prominent. Every time he is on screen i am on the edge of my seat, just got done with the episode 'Moral Midgetry' and the ending with Stringer and Avon talking about Deangelo's death was just brilliant. I honestly went mental when they just ended the episode there. I may be completely off the mark here, but i have this really weird feeling Avon is going to kill Stringer or vice versa. Lets just pray Avon dies (or buggers back off to prison) and lets String control everything, as Stringer is too good to die.

I'm also liking Tommy Carcetti (though i have a feeling many wont like him) he seems like a good guy trying to get the city back on track, though he is being a bit of a dick doing it.

Even though his character hasn't really been padded out yet, i am enjoying whenever Dennis 'Cutty' Wise is on screen. I like the idea of a character out of the drugs and trying to change. So it will be good to see where they go with that.

Everyone else i don't really mind, though there are three characters i really dislike/cant be bothered with.

First one being Bubbles, i just cant be bothered with that character anymore. I think he is brilliantly played and everything, its just i don't really care what happens with him anymore. I imagine he is going to get off drugs then relapse every season or something?

Second character who i just cant be bothered with now is Omar Little. He was a fun character at the beginning, but now it really feels like he is there just to be there. Though i do enjoy any interaction he has with Bunk, mainly because i like Bunk so much.

Lastly i just hate Marlo Stanfield, i don't know if its because he is a threat to the Barksdale organization (and i have become pretty fond of them of late) or whether they haven't really done much with his character yet. Either way it just makes me hate him and whenever he is on screen. They do seem to be slowly building up his character which cant be good as it must mean he will be around past the 3rd season. Saying that, Chris Partlow (even though he hasn't actually done anything) looks pretty cool.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Anyway have people still kept with the bbc 2 coverage, if so what do people think of the third season so far? (we are 8 episodes in)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have just finished watching the last two episodes of season 3 and the first episode of season 4. So i figured i would just give my thoughts on everything and get some stuff off my chest. (if you read my last post, its pretty obvious what its going to be about.) Oh if you aren't up to date with the bbc2 showings then i wouldn't recommend reading.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Fuck the Wire. Why the fuck did they kill of the best character in the show? He was just a perfect character for the show and everything its trying to represent, the scene with McNulty in Sringer's apartment was just a great ending. Stringer was perfectly played and it really annoys me that i wont get to see him anymore.

The thing which pissed me off the most is that deep down i knew Stringer would probably get killed, as they set it up perfectly throughout the season (The Wire does that better than anyone, every scene has a purpose and sets something up it seems). The tension with him and Avon was just a killer to watch, that last scene of them on the balcony remembering their past was amazing. I loved how they both knew what the other had done and how they knew it was their last night together. It was just so good, i am going to miss that relationship. The show will be poorer without it.

The problem i had was that the finale of season 3 just felt like the end of the show for me. All the characters i had loved were gone or their story was told already.

Take McNulty, i honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they just didn't bring him back after that. He had gone through everything and it seemed like he finally found what he was looking for with Beadie and his new job in the Western district. What left does he have to do?

I'm not going to sit through another season of that Major case unit shit, it was fun whilst it lasted but whats left to show? How many times can you do the same thing without getting stale. So when i saw Lester and Kima still doing that i was not that excited about the new season.

The only person i really care about is Tommy Carcetti, but i don't care about him enough to watch an hour show just to see what happens with him.

Plus season 3 was, in my opinion, the greatest season so far and i honestly don't know if they can top it.

I watched the first episode of season 4 and it didn't really do much for me, i enjoyed the stuff with the kids and i like Bodie. Its just i don't really know whether i'm going to care about the characters like i once did. I did read (and from watching the first episode get the impression) that season 4 is focusing on the school system, which i guess will be good.

Knowing the Wire i wouldn't be surprised after 4 episodes i end up saying how great this season is.

What are people's thoughts on season 4? (obviously for those who have seen it) Does anyone rate it higher than season 3?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Season 4 of The Wire is the best season of any show, ever.

This. You are not allowed to argue about this, it just is the best thing ever shown on television.

I say television, but of course it isn't; it's HBO. ;)

Archived