The Wire comes to UK Tv..

hitman89762000

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard good things about The Wire, I've set the whole week to record on my DVR :)

For anyone relying on iplayer, you're going to be left disappointed. According to the website, it's listed as '(not available)' rather than '(coming soon)'...

You can never rely on US imports or back catalogue shows produced for the BBC that's just be re-aired ending up on iPlayer.

Shocked Mad Men and Heroes is on there really.

• Paid Members
For anyone relying on iplayer, you're going to be left disappointed. According to the website, it's listed as '(not available)' rather than '(coming soon)'...

Balls.

Back to the torrent is is, then.

Nah man, it's a like a novel. It's a gradual build, and it respects it's audience. I usually hate hyperbole, but for me, The Wire genuinely is the best television show I have ever watched.

Guessing you haven't seen Friday Night Lights then? (Thats a joke....well half of one anyway, as FNL is great!)

Anyway, I started watching the Wire last summer as i had them all on dvd and stopped around 40% through. I think i stopped watching around early season 3, it wasn't because i didn't enjoy the show (like everyone else i thought it was ridiculously amazing). Its just that i sort of overdosed on it, i figured i could knock out the whole series in about a week or so and watched like 5-8 episodes at a time (I didn't have much to do at this point). I was really into it initially but after the third day i was so drained i couldn't take it anymore. I just wanted to stop watching it, its like eating chocolate, you just get to a point where you feel sick if you attempt to eat anymore. I gave up after that and never got round to watching them again.

I like the idea of having an episode a night, that seems more doable and should easily keep the previous episodes in your mind when you watch the next one. BBC 2 really does shit on all the other terrestrial channels.

Nah man, it's a like a novel. It's a gradual build, and it respects it's audience. I usually hate hyperbole, but for me, The Wire genuinely is the best television show I have ever watched.

Guessing you haven't seen Friday Night Lights then? (Thats a joke....well half of one anyway, as FNL is great!)

I haven't, I kept meaning to pick it up on dvd but I could never find it instore. I really do want to see it though, as I hear it's great and I loved the film.

I'll probably watch the pilot tonight, if only because it's one of the best pilots ever made and unlike other great pilots (like The L Word), the series genuinely delivers upon its promise, maybe even exceeding that promise. My main problem is I liked it when it was "that show Charlie Brooker raves about" and too many people evangelise it now. It really is not for anybody. Like rochellerochelle, I had to take a break from it and have yet to watch most of season five because the unremittingly bleak nature of it just got me down so much.

Just finished watching the pilot and the time went so fast. I happily watched one episode of Battlestar Galatica a night, in order to catch up with it and I think it'll be just as easy to watch this too. I noticed the cool, bordering on cold, Lance Reddick is in it and seems very similar to his character in Fringe.

Great fun so far, looking forward to tomorrow night.

I haven't, I kept meaning to pick it up on dvd but I could never find it instore. I really do want to see it though, as I hear it's great and I loved the film.

I don't want to take away from The Wire and what the topic is about, but just quickly i will say that (and this goes for everyone) you should really try and see FNL. And if you do, don't stop after the first couple episodes thinking its just about American Football and teenagers, it really is so much more. Its like the Wire in that it feels 'real' and you can really grow to love and care about the characters. I can honestly say i haven't cared for any show more than i have with Friday Night Lights.

Anyway back to The Wire, a couple days ago i was watching the Louis Theroux where he was in Philadelphia (i think) and its amazing how similar the feel and the people he talk to are to the people in the Wire. I mean, the cop Louis speaks to (the one who clearly hates the druggies) even looks like Herc from the Wire.

You can never rely on US imports or back catalogue shows produced for the BBC that's just be re-aired ending up on iPlayer.

They own the exclusive rights to those shows. For most US imports they only buy the terrestrial rights and hence they can't show it online because they'd be in conflict with whoever has the digital rights.

They own the exclusive rights to those shows. For most US imports they only buy the terrestrial rights and hence they can't show it online because they'd be in conflict with whoever has the digital rights.

I'm a bit pissed off at this really. 11:20 is too late for me on a work night really, so I was looking forward to watching it on iPlayer today. Ah well, guess I'll give it a miss until I can find it dirt cheap on dvd.

Archived