Varg Vikernes Released

Psygnosis

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I listened to loads, grew up with 'metal' remember so it was hard to avoid anywayI've listened to stuff like Nefilheim, Immortal, Emperor Burzum, Mayhem, loads of others I can't remember, sometimes I could get on with it but being a fan, nah. It just speaks to me as being heavy for heavies sake without a lot of major skill invovled.

I

• Paid Members
Burzum = a quintessential band and if you cannot see the value in his music, then music is simply not for you.

Go on then, elaborate on this please.

In my opinion, the atmosphere Varg conjures up is unparalleled and what's more, no matter the style he writes he creates this great atmosphere. And black metal really is all about the spirit and the atmosphere. For example take 3 Burzum songs, War, Det Som En Gang Var and Tomhet. War is a straight up thrashy number with insane vocals and a really fun thrash riff and a wicked solo (written by Euronymous as an interesting trivia point). It sounds totally insane and brings an atmosphere of unstability, insanity and general craziness (and who can deny the awesomeness of "This is.......waaaaaaw!" Det Som En Gang Var is one of the most atmosphere songs I've ever heard. It builds and builds, with the keyboards providing this eerie, ethereal feeling of longing and gloom for "What Once Was." It's hard to put it into words, it's the kind of thing you will either feel or you won't. Tomhet is simply beautiful. Totally ambient, it consists of just a few notes on a loop for 15 minutes. About 7 minutes in, the pattern changes and this gorgeous little melody comes in and the listener gets the feeling that he is leaving his body, ascending over cold forests and grim mountains and eventually floating through the vast nothingness of space (hey give me credit for crying :p) No matter what kind of music you listen to, you have to appreciate Varg's ability to create such feelings and atmosphere. I stand by the fact that the man is a musical genius.

Also any Burzum fans looking for more similar stuff check out Vietah, Wolves In The Throne Room, Xasthur, I Shalt Become, Marblebog and Sombres Forets for starters

Oh I listened to loads, grew up with 'metal' remember so it was hard to avoid anywayI've listened to stuff like Nefilheim, Immortal, Emperor Burzum, Mayhem, loads of others I can't remember, sometimes I could get on with it but being a fan, nah. It just speaks to me as being heavy for heavies sake without a lot of major skill invovled.

I

• Paid Members

Cradle of Filth haven't been black metal since 1996 though. The early stuff was pretty good (excellent musically) but Dani's schoolgirl shriek spoils things as usual, though not at all to the degree he drags down modern Cradle. However he is undisputedly a fantastic lyricist. If you collected all of Cradle of Filth's lyrics together you'd have enough to make a gothic novel

Burzum = a quintessential band and if you cannot see the value in his music, then music is simply not for you.

Go on then, elaborate on this please.

In my opinion,

That's the bit I was looking for. I appreciate where you are coming from but I think Burzum are shit. That doesn't mean that music isn't for me, it means Burzum aren't for me.

• Paid Members
Musically and lyrically black metal like Burzum or Mayhem doesn't appeal to me. I will admit to being interested by the scene and drama surrounding it though. I love Opeth though, but not sure if you'd consider them black metal?

There early stuff I would, but they seem to have gone a different direction lately (not thats a bad thing)

Fair doos. What is it you dislike out of interest? The vocals I'm guessing

I know how pretentious this sounds but I try not to listen to music in parts, more the sum of its parts. The vocals were a part of the whole picture of what was being created but the whole thing/finished article just did nothing at all for me. I found it boring.

However, it has been a while since I listened to Burzum so I tried again tonight but I found what I heard crashingly boring, saying that though there was one song that had a moment but that is all. I guess I find Black Metal (not the Venom album) more pretentious than Tool and probably myself.

• Paid Members
(and who can deny the awesomeness of "This is.......waaaaaaw!"

I can, I just listened to it and its fucking gash. I'm now listening to Filosofem and its just the same 5 seconds repeating over and over with muffled vocals over the top. I wont be buying the greatest hits anytime soon, its not for me.

I didnt know anything about this guy or his history. Its actually given me something to talk about in regards to Norway, I literally only had "Where vikings came from" ten minutes ago.

This has led me on a dreaded late night wikipedia journey. From Varg Vikernes to

Archived