New Doctor Who

stewdogg

I hope the next Doctor is male. A good, proper, Polish, Muslim, wheelchair-bound, homosexual male. With manly ginger hair. That should calm everyone down.

Actually I don't, I just want someone they can tell good stories with. Like they potentially can with this one.

I think Lister's point is the most salient.

Everyones getting caught up on whether the Doctor should have a penis, as a point of principle, ignoring the fact that pretty much all of the bepenised actors ready, willing and available to move to Cardiff 9 months a year, to work on an average rating terrestrial show for comparatively low money,were all far shitter than the depenised one we actually got.

Hence why a lot of the 'TEH DOCTA IS A MAN' comments are usually followed by 'SHUDA BROUGHT BACK DAVID TENNANCE' or 'DANIUL RADCLUFFE' or something equally as ridiculous.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I asked on Twitter why people, including women, were so upset with a female doctor. All I got in response was objections to "PC genderflipping." I've asked for any canon reason why the doctor can't regenerate into a woman, like maybe it's long established that the regeneration machine doesn't have a vagina mould so it's impossible that the doctor could be a woman (I don't watch the show, this could be the case) but have yet to get a response.

It seems it's mainly a mix of "well, it's always been a man so it always have to be a man" and "PC gone mad."

There's absolutely no canon reason. It's been established for a few seasons now that Time Lords can change gender when they regenerate - not just with the Master becoming Missy but, before that, "The Corsair" in The Doctor's Wife introduced the idea.

Ultimately, it's a fantasy story. Unless something has been unequivocally stated as impossible, it can happen, because it's all magic. And even if it's been stated as impossible, all it takes is a hand-wave to change it.

When the series started, regeneration wasn't "canon", until someone thought it up. Then someone decided the Doctor was limited to a 13 regeneration cycle, until someone else decided that he wasn't. Even if the Doctor's gender being fixed was canon, that's still not set in stone.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think Lister's point is the most salient.

Everyones getting caught up on whether the Doctor should have a penis, as a point of principle, ignoring the fact that pretty much all of the bepenised actors ready, willing and available to move to Cardiff 9 months a year, to work on an average rating terrestrial show for comparatively low money,were all far shitter than the depenised one we actually got.

Hence why a lot of the 'TEH DOCTA IS A MAN' comments are usually followed by 'SHUDA BROUGHT BACK DAVID TENNANCE' or 'DANIUL RADCLUFFE' or something equally as ridiculous.

Precisely - it's just the assumption that, if it had gone to a white man, that person would have been selected because they were the best for the job (when, if the best for the job was Kris Marshall, fucking hell), whereas if it's a woman or a minority, it's clearly Political Correctness gone mad, and there's been an ulterior motive. It's pretty much the definition of privilege.

And, yeah, when the likes of Peter Capaldi - a lifelong super-fan who, unlike younger actors like Smith or Tennant, don't have the urge to go off to Hollywood or the West End to prove themselves as Proper Actors - packs it in because he can't hack the schedule, you're not going to get A-listers queuing up for the part.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Peter Capaldi - a lifelong super-fan

Is he? When he was on The Graham Norton Show he was giving the impression he didn't have a clue what he was going on about most of the time when filming.

I suppose he was just playing it down to be cool for that audience though, while at conventions he'll be arguing with cosplayers over the relative angles at which the fifth and eighth Doctors held their sonic screwdrivers.

• Paid Members

When he was first cast, people dug out a letter he wrote to the Radio Times about Doctor Who when he was a kid, and when asked, "How did it feel the first time you said 'I am the Doctor'?", he replied, "I don't remember, I was six".

Part of the reason the Mondassian Cybermen were brought back for the last series was because they were Capaldi's favourite monster. There were a few stories, too, of how eager he was to show people around the TARDIS set when they turned up for filming, and how excited he was to meet former Who companions whenever they visited the set.

Maybe "super-fan" is overstating it, but it was clearly a passion of his. He was also one of many shortlisted for the role of the Doctor in the '97 movie.

He was a huge fan of Doctor Who as a kid. I think people inferred from that that he was a lifelong fan, but you did get the impression at times that he'd actually outgrown it a bit. Whenever asked on his favourite bits/moments etc they all came exclusively from the time when he was a child. Which makes sense.

We can't expect everyone to be losers like us.

Out of everything I've read since last Sunday, the thing that has most annoyed me is the insistence of people using the fucking word "canon", like they've always used it. I swear I've heard the word more in the last week than I have in my entire life. 

Fucking "canon". I don't even know what it means!!!!

Fuck Dr Canon

Edited by SuperBacon

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
29 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Remember when Kris Marshall felt like the worst thing that could happen to Doctor Who?

Well, Bradley fucking Walsh says hello....

...Christ. 

I genuinely don't know if I'll be able to sit through it.

I stopped watching this run when Catherine Tate got involved (fucking hell, that was 11 years ago), surely Walsh can't be more annoying than that?

On 22/08/2017 at 9:00 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Bradley Walsh is and always will be the poor man's Brian Conley.

For years I genuinely thought they were the same person.