New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Capaldi was pretty good as the new doctor and Jenna Coleman was very good and is really likeable (but it sounds like she will be leaving after this series), but the episode itself wasn't up to much. A really drawn out 80-minutes that dragged at times.

• Paid Members

Really liked the episode, and really liked Capaldi as The Doctor.

I've been grumbling for a while about The Doctor getting younger and younger and fancied by his assistant, and have been wanting someone older, with more gravitas and to be not so instantly likable, and Capaldi has absolutely nailed what I wanted. On top of that, he's tapped into the post-regeneration disorientation that I liked about Colin Baker's first couple of episodes.

The only niggle was during the finale when the robots were circling Clara, Vastra and Jenny, it looked a bit like a school play as they were just clunking around and not really doing anything.
Now that I think about it, the T-Rex was a bit superfluous, and they may have wasted the dinosaur card a bit prematurely. The special effects on the clockwork cyborg were superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was a bit fucking good wasn't it?

Capaldi's really taken over the role now, I thought that was really his breakout moment as the Doctor.

I love that sort of science fiction/fantasy though, where it's not reliant on CGI or special effects, and is controlled by the audiences imagination and the actors performances. Best episode of the season so far, at a canter, and probably the best 'non-special' episode since Season 6. Glorious.

Yeah, very good that. I think these first few have been about letting Capaldi find his feet plus they had that dog shit director from Down Terrace do a couple.

Have we any idea what that Heaven stuff is all about yet? Has it been confirmed who the next companion is? They hinted at the girl from Being Human in the second epidode. Was the Clara as a Dalek stuff ever explained?

• 1 year later...

Felt compelled to revive this.

I don't really know what Doctor Who is anymore, but fucking hell, it's pretty great.

Last nights was one of the boldest, most compelling, intelligent and daring episodes of anything to be aired on mainstream TV in forever. And, again, Capaldi was simply wonderful.

It used to be squarely broad, open family entertainment with the occasional nod to higher concept sci-fi/fantasy and more adult-orientated drama; this year seems a genuine attempt to reposition the show as an intelligent, adult orientated sci-fi drama with the occasional nod to the family. I'm sure it'll alienate as many people as it enthrals, but Jesus, I'm fully on the bus.

I think it's more than a Moffat/Gatiss plot, as some older fans think; it recently got lumped in with Luther and stuff in a BBC promo for their drama portfolio, it regularly finishes at gone 9pm and its advertised similar to a Stargate/BSG in the US for the older sci-fi market.

Either way, Team Capaldi..

• 1 year later...

Well, shit in a bag.

I revived this thread 19 months ago to talk about how remarkable the penultimate episode of series 9 was. And now I want to talk about how remarkable the penultimate episode of series 10 was.

I mean, The Sun can go fuck itself for forcing the Simm spoiler, but it was still gripping television. 

The brooding, tense feel of the season was at its best. It was creepy, claustrophobic and had probably the most graphic 'death' in Doctor Who history.

I know this forum doesn't seem to care anymore but Christ, it was so good. I'll be gutted when Capaldi goes.

• Paid Members

This whole season has been fantastic, maybe my favourite of "New Who". Bill's been a great companion, and it's infuriating that Moffat seems to have only just learned how to write to Capaldi's strengths.

This episode was good - I didn't enjoy it as much as some of my friends that I've seen raving about it - but it was a solid, creepy, mythos-heavy episode with a lot of genuine tension, and a great sci-fi concept. What worked against it, for me, is that I'm sick of Moffat's continuity-hopping writing. He's so reluctant to just write a linear story, everything has to be told by jumping around through flashbacks and so on, and it's needless.

It'll never happen, but I had a thought that the most logical endpoint for this narrative is for the Doctor to choose Bill's face as his next regeneration.

It was established with Capaldi's doctor that, in this new regeneration cycle at least, each new form can be 'selected' to serve as a reminder to the Doctor, and a growing theme of this series is his own recklessness.

If the result of his recklessness is Bill's grizzly death, then her face would be a perfect reminder never to be that reckless again.

• Awards Moderator

I've really been enjoying this series, absolutely Capaldi's best - such a shame he's leaving now that they've finally figured him out - and loads of great episodes with only a couple of wobbles. I was about ready to give up on Who because I found the last two series and Christmas specials, the odd episode aside, quite lacklustre, but I'm very glad I kept watching. Didn't even realise the series was drawing to an end, I've been enjoying it too much and there's only one left?!

It's an amazing trick, how Matt Lucas gently and quietly became one of the greatest companions of New Who.

I really enjoyed the finale. It wasn't as good as the penultimate episode, they never are, but still very good.

Capaldi is so good at the minute that I'm actually glad of the fake regeneration.

My only complaint, which is a boring common one, is that I'd have rathered Bill had a noble death than a hazy happy ending.