[Nominations] Best British Match of 2008

tiger_rick

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are any of the matches mentioned in this topic on Youtube?

I've searched for a couple of them without success, but thought I would ask as it would help those of us who haven't seen a lot of Britwres to vote.

• Paid Members

Dave Moralez vs. Zack Sabre Jr., SAS

Luke Phoenix, El Ligero & Bubblegum vs. Mark Haskins, Dave Moralez & Zack Sabre Jr., NOAH Dark Match

Terry Frazier vs. Dave Moralez, IPW:UK

Stevie Knight eliminates Sam Slam to win The Goldrush 15-man rumble, Saturday February 2 2008, XWA, Morecambe Dome.

I refer you to an excerpt from UK Hat Guy (whoops, sorry, Big Benny HG)'s review of the aftermath of the finish of this match, first posted on the UKFF earlier this year:

"What happened next was just plain mental. The crowd erupted and ran up to the ring, desperately trying to tell the referee that trickery had been afoot. The kids were livid at the referee. How could he possibly be the only person in the entire building that didn't see what had happened? How could the referee have got it wrong? How could Stevie Knight get away with this? As, in XWA, the referee's decision is always final, the decision was not going to be overturned.

As the fans started to realise this, they went berserk, pounding on the ring mat, chanting "SAM SLAM WON!" and hurling whatever they could get their hands on at the referee, at Stevie Knight and into the ring. Plastic bottles, sweet wrappers, raffle tickets, flyers, posters, etc all ended up being hurled in rage. Someone even climbed under my chair, grabbed my empty beer glasses and hurled them into the ring. This wasn't just kids being daft and chucking stuff at people "for a laff, innit", this was people absolutely incensed that their hero had been screwed in a manner such as this, and that the bad guy was going to get away with it scot free. You could only describe it as a riot. The look of anger and disbelief on kids' faces was all the evidence you needed that this had been bang on the money. Absolutely awesome."

You tell me how many other matches on UK soil this year created so much emotion within the audience that they actually incited a proper, full-blown riot.

Go on. Tell me. You can't, can you?

Edited by Victor Is God

• Paid Members
You tell me how many other matches on UK soil this year created so much emotion within the audience that they actually incited a proper, full-blown riot.

Spud & Phil Bedwell vs The Models from SAS in Collingwood. Spud nearly died. Fact.

Spud & Phil Bedwell vs The Models from SAS in Collingwood. Spud nearly died. Fact.

Zak Zodiac vs. Andy Simmonz from WAW in the Summer. There were some incredibly drunk fans who I thought may just murder Simmonz.

Gah. There's always one know-all.... :laugh:

Just a quick note tonight. Proper review tomorrow.

An amazing show really. Main event saw a heel turn by Spud and near lynching of him by the crowd!

This ^^^^^ So happy I decided to go, I dont usually review anything after attending a show but feel I had to about this one.

I dont think I have ever been to a show where the crowd, literally, wanted to KILL somebody. At one point when Spud and The Models escaped the ring over the guard rails into the crowd at least 30/40 kids cornered them and it looked like a near riot was going to take place. Spud was hated so much for what doing what he did!

I can safely say it was REAL in Birmingham last night!

I was there for that one!

have to agree with Zak Zodiac v Andy Simmons at Yarmouth, it was good old style heat, a coach load of drunk Zodiac supporters amongst the crowd wearing, "We are here to kill andy simmons" t shirts the atmoshere was electric and when Zak won seeing up to 30 grown men invading the ring and dancing was quite a sight. Is available on DVD btw lol.

have to agree with Zak Zodiac v Andy Simmons at Yarmouth, it was good old style heat, a coach load of drunk Zodiac supporters amongst the crowd wearing, "We are here to kill andy simmons" t shirts the atmoshere was electric and when Zak won seeing up to 30 grown men invading the ring and dancing was quite a sight. Is available on DVD btw lol.