What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

Been rewatching League of Gentlemen. It's my favourite thing ever, and very inspirational and influential to me, but one of those things I felt I'd overwatched, as it was also one of my comfort watch shows in bad times, so had to take a break from for a few years. My god, does it hold up. The gag-rate in the very first two minutes of the first episode is incredible. Sight-gag after sight-gag at an amazing pace. I was jarred by the first season being in SD and 4:3, because it's not old, is it? LoG was only on recently.

But then there's a line by Les McQueen where he talks about the Eurovision heats in '81 to demonstrate how out of touch and trapped in the past he is. '81 to the time the show first aired in '99 is the exact same amount of time between its first airing and now. Christ. But still a brilliant, brilliant show. They're all so young in it, too. So young and talented.

• Awards Moderator

I rewatched LoG about two years ago and it's staggeringly good. Brilliant gags, verbal and visual, grotesque characters and excellent observations. And not only that, the plot is good by itself.

It's also clever-funny, and yet can still do the catchphrase thing really well. Just an excellent piece of work. I remember discussing series 3 on here and it divided the board at first, but in retrospect it's very well put together.

2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

How do you do spoiler tags on mobile? 

I think I know this, but as I'm on the mobile site myself and it no longer seems to have any method of previewing a post before submitting, it may take some trial and error to demonstrate. So bear with me here.

[spoiler]Type your spoiler between these tags.[/spoiler]

Triple H wins!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Been rewatching League of Gentlemen. It's my favourite thing ever, and very inspirational and influential to me, but one of those things I felt I'd overwatched, as it was also one of my comfort watch shows in bad times, so had to take a break from for a few years. My god, does it hold up. The gag-rate in the very first two minutes of the first episode is incredible. Sight-gag after sight-gag at an amazing pace. I was jarred by the first season being in SD and 4:3, because it's not old, is it? LoG was only on recently.

But then there's a line by Les McQueen where he talks about the Eurovision heats in '81 to demonstrate how out of touch and trapped in the past he is. '81 to the time the show first aired in '99 is the exact same amount of time between its first airing and now. Christ. But still a brilliant, brilliant show. They're all so young in it, too. So young and talented.

It's just brilliant isn't it? So original and it holds up completely. It popped up on my Netflix recommends last month and it'd been a while since my last re-watch, and I just devoured the whole lot in a couple of weeks. Easily in my top 5 TV programmes of all time. I think the spirit lives on in Inside Number 9 and Psychoville, but neither quite reach the same heights.

Also found the live show on Dailymotion, definitely worth a watch. (Watching this reminded me of how many catchphrases they had, but they never relied on them, and they always felt organic rather than being the joke itself. Plus the whole show is so quotable anyway.)

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

• Awards Moderator

Series 2 of Car Share is just as sweet, funny and comfy as the last one. Peter Kay is one of the board's favourite punching bags but he's a really good dramatic comedy actor. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Series 2 of Car Share is just as sweet, funny and comfy as the last one. Peter Kay is one of the board's favourite punching bags but he's a really good dramatic comedy actor. 

I think everyone on here (deservedly) loves Phoenix Nights, That Peter Kay Thing and his appearance in Corrie that time. It's the Geraldine shite, Max & Paddy, his stand-ups and his crap charity songs that are cack. But yeah, he's a brilliant dramatic comedy actor, always has been. So natural.

My wife has been watching the 2nd series and I've caught some of it now and then, it's a nice little show. I should really go through them all at some point.

1 hour ago, Teedy Kay said:

Anyone heard anything review wise about American Gods? Seen a wee snippet flash up on Youtube and a show with McShane interests me greatly, but can't find much about it.

It's been getting very good reviews from what I've read, really enjoyed the books so am looking forward to watching it. 

• Moderators

The best thing on this year, by a country mile, is FX's Feud, about the rivalry between Joan Crawford and Betty Davis, by Ryan Murphy of American Horror Story. It was the Bret vs. Shawn of its day, with (and I don't want to spoil the specifics) their Survivor Series incident going down live at the fucking Oscars. Amazing stuff, and all of its themes super relevant today.