What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

So I'm currently marching through Black Sails on recommendation. Just nearing the end of Season 2.

It's ... ok.

Having real problems with a lot of stuff, the women are horrendous, acting either bossy with intelligence or double hard. When really their characters are all weak as fuck. Anne Bonny should be a menace, not a fit lass doing her best imoression of Shirley from Eastenders.

Their teeth are too pearly white, I know it's petty, but come on now they're meant to be fucking pirates.

Many characters are so conflicting within themselves, flip flopping from one angst to another, getting a grain of conscience, losing it, starting to get on my tits a bit.

The acting is not the greatest, can see why they went flashback style in Season 2 just get some half decent performances in.

The action is good, the interplay with Randall and Silver is magnificent and a great foreshadowing, Flint is decent too.

Overall I'm sticking with it, but it wasn't the 'Game of Thrones on water' that I was sold. It's more a cheap/shitter alternative to Deadwood ... on water.

Edit: Oh and anyone who knows anything about Treasure Island means you know who's untouchable, any drama built around that is lost.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

The new Macgyver reboot is brilliant, it's definitely not for everyone, it has a weird Arrow crossed with cheap 90s TV action drama feel to it and it's difficult to tell how tongue in cheek it is. I really enjoyed it though, Macgyver's ability to do and make incredibly useful things with whatever's at his disposal is insanely over the top just as it should be, he makes a parachute out of nothing from concept to using it to save his life in literally 30 seconds.

• Paid Members

YouTube, not telly, but whatever.

Watched a wonderful documentary from 1997 on camp comics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMdtKEIoOc 

Completely missed this in the 90's and it's great. Especially when all of the talking heads are waxing lyrical over Kenny Everett, Kenneth Williams etc. and then all turn on the shite Mr Humphreys character en masse. Matthew Kelly is particularly scathing.

Also, you forget at times how bloody brilliant Bob Monkhouse (who presents the doc) was. Really one of the finest entertainers ever produced by this country, he is James Bond smooth in this.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I've finally finished Season 2 of Better Call Saul. It picked up a lot by the end, though the cliffhangers felt a bit end of episode ones rather than end of series ones. It has a bit of prequelitis in the sense it's hard to give a shit about teased plotlines that you know don't come pass, but there's definely enough in the performances that kept me going. Loved everything with Mike, obviously. And Ed Begley Jr. Love that man. 

• Paid Members

Gus,

If you can find it anywhere, I really recommend Bob Monkhouse:The Million Joke Man that was on GOLD a couple of years back. It's a three part series that details his whole life

It's a good watch, but you do have to put up with Paul o' Grady stamping himself all over it. There's so much material in there that it only really needed a narrator.

This week I've been watching Further Back in Time For Dinner (the follow to Back In Time For Dinner, that I didn't see). Similar to Electric Dreams but this time focussing on what people ate during the 1900s up the 1940s. It's interesting, and presented in quite an enjoyable way.

• Moderators

Started rewatching Freaks and Geeks on Netflix. I haven't seen it since it aired the first time 18 years ago. Jesus. On paper, it's a thing I should hate, coming of age, well-worn highschool tropes of bullies and crushes and dances and other CW-style topics, but it's just flawless, and the characters are so well drawn, and I'm instantly hooked again.

• Paid Members

I watched that again a year or so ago, and it stood up. I love the way every character has a believable motivation and even the bullies are sympathetic in some way. It's The Wire of high school comedy dramas.