What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

To echo everyone else, I didn't really get into it until probably halfway through episode 3. There's a lot of info dumping and no hand holding at first but later on you'll see it was essential. Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators

Ziggy get your dick out my computer!

Season two was a bit crap compared to the rest of the show, but if you didn't enjoy Season 1 by the midpoint then I think the show might just not be for you. Jack it in. I don't even know why you're still bothering.. although I kind of do. I keep getting tempted to go back to Breaking Bad to see if it clicks. But I'm not going to, and you shouldn't continue either. It's only a tv show; not worth wasting your time if you're not enjoying it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I've not long finished Season 3. That's where it's at. Hamsterdam, motherfuckers. I hear season 4 is just as good, so I have that to look forward to...

...when Sky decide to chuck it back on. The pricks.

The Shield is good, but it's nowhere near The Wire -- or even Sons of Anarchy. Casting Fat Little Ross Kemp as a badass cop lead character was a mistake.

I think it totally depends on what you want from a TV show.

The Wire is clearly "better" from a critical point of view (more realistic, believable, finer acting, etc...) but I thought The Shield was much more of an entertaining ride. I probably appreciate both shows about the same, but for pure enjoyment The Shield takes it. SOA was great fun at times, but far more stupid in places than The Shield ever was (and there is some mad shit in there).

I fucking love Vic Mackie. Him and Shane made that whole show.

• Paid Members

I love violence in stuff but for some reason I found the violence in The Shield really off putting. It was just so unnecessarily nasty at every opportunity. It was like it was trying to go "look how fucking dark and gritty this show is" but it came across so forced. I gave up after the first season because it bothered me so. An example of this would be in one episode where they are chasing some Chinese teens who are robbing the elderly, but that's not enough, they nailed the old peoples feet to the floor. Why? What did this add to the episode? How did it play into the overarching theme of the show? Fuck knows. Just nastiness for the sake of nastiness. I think they were so scared of making Mackey unlikeable they made everyone else just a disgusting cunt to counteract it.

• Paid Members

The Shield is good, but it's nowhere near The Wire -- or even Sons of Anarchy.

shane.jpg

No show has ever came close to hitting the heights The Shield did from the season five finale up to the (perfect) ending, for me. Any TV acting awards from this time-frame that didn't have "Walton Goggins" stamped on them should be ruled void.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

I love violence in stuff but for some reason I found the violence in The Shield really off putting. It was just so unnecessarily nasty at every opportunity. It was like it was trying to go "look how fucking dark and gritty this show is" but it came across so forced. I gave up after the first season because it bothered me so. An example of this would be in one episode where they are chasing some Chinese teens who are robbing the elderly, but that's not enough, they nailed the old peoples feet to the floor. Why? What did this add to the episode? How did it play into the overarching theme of the show? Fuck knows. Just nastiness for the sake of nastiness. I think they were so scared of making Mackey unlikeable they made everyone else just a disgusting cunt to counteract it.

I had a workmate who seemed to quit every big TV show partway through, due to the violence. She missed 90% of the golden age of TV drama because she's squeamish. No judgment, but I feel terrible for her. It's like when I was a kid staying in our caravan - parents kipping down one end, me watching Reservoir Dogs at the other. My mum made me turn it off, said it made her cry to hear the language, all the effing and blinding.