What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I really struggle with TWD, mostly because it CAN be really good, yet decides to fuck around for multiple episodes doing absolutely nothing.

Take S2 for example - that opening set of episodes was by far the most difficult to get through and certainly wasn't worth all the build up.

Same with the wait to find out about you know who in the recent season. Plus they've all been split up and it's slow and yeah. I'm not expecting full on mental Carol every single episode but it's the kind of show that would benefit from having a shorter season. I would have been happy if they stuck with 10-13 episodes. It's strange to think that there's only 16 episodes a season as it feels far longer.

• Paid Members

I watched the first series years ago after my workmate raved about it and I was expecting good things of it- a zombie apocalypse with Andrew Lincoln seemed like a winner. I thought it was a bit crap. It had some good parts, and a couple of the characters were decent enough (I liked Jon Bernthal in it), but it didn't leave me wanting more. And the bad parts were very bad- shit writing and poor characters (some of them so obvious and cliched) not helped by terrible acting. It just reminded me of Lost, but without the frustrations of not explaining anything.

To sum up the 'poor characters not helped by terrible acting' part in a jpeg:

Walking_dead_season_1_episode_4_boat_and

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I felt like season two was necessary in more ways than one - they scaled back the budget after the end of season one, because Mad Men leaned on AMC for extra production money, and that lead to less of everything except running around in the woods and character interaction. That lead to long stretches of boring getting to know you time, which lead to the audience getting to know the characters.

Edited by Bill Diarrhea

It just reminded me of Lost, but without the frustrations of not explaining anything.

I can see a lot of Lost in it as well. I don't think Lost was ever as shit as the Walking Dead is. Lost's trouble was it spent too much time on shitty character drama while keeping the viewer hooked with mysteries. Walking Dead doesn't have much of a mystery aspect, it's just really shitty character drama propped up by gore and occasionally a well-done tension scene.

The scariest thing about it is that people think it's good. At least with Mrs Brown's Boys, the only people who say it's good are either full morons or a bit idiotic and don't think much about the TV shows they watch. But Walking Dead gets praised by people who should really know better.

• Paid Members

I dunno. it's laughably bad at times but every now and then they do enough to make me belive it can be better than it is.

This can perfectly describe another show we all watch out of habit. Every poxy week.

Tonight is the night, A-list can't miss...

• Paid Members

Finally got around to watching Detectorists series one. It's really wonderful. It has some lovely layers beyond the nerds with metal detectors stuff. It's beautifully slow and amusing and it looks and sounds great.

It really is one the of the best new shows in a long time. Series 2 hasn't been quite as good but is still very good telly.

I enjoyed Series 2 and the Xmas one-off but they're not quite as good. I still love the chemistry between Andy and Lance but I don't think the over-arching story tying the series together was as good the second time.

Favourite line was the variation on the previously mentioned "Did you hear about so and so?" "No, mate" "Dead, mate":

"Did you hear about Bob Cromer?" "No, mate" "Exhumed, mate"

• Paid Members

Stop watching that dry shit and watch Nathan for you.

Steve, I've started watching this based upon your multiple recommendations and it's brilliant. Thanks for the tip.

Walking dead would be better off a ten episodes a series instead of 16/18. There is good stories, but it's filled with so much fluff that it makes it a drag to get through. Its almost raw like in how it pads out time to fill. Now watch out of habit than excitement. That they took three weeks to get to Glenn is he/ isn't he dead totally telegraphed that he wasn't given how big a character he is in it.

• Paid Members

I'm unreasonably furious about the Sky 1 Fungus the Bogeyman adaptation. Pathetic lack of imagination by the creators and a complete insult to the source material. Just like Where the Wild things are, The Smurfs, The Little Prince and so many other adaptations of children's material before it they filled it with loads of boring real world bullshit which completely bogged it down.

I loved the Fungus book as a kid, I was excited to see this and the CGI looked great but it's so shit. I know it's a short book and they want to pad it out but why would you take a story about a monster and make the TV show be about Keeley Hazell arguing with her husband?

I really hate the direction they went in for it but I could probably tolerate it except there's one thing that ruins it for me to the point of making it unwatchable - halfway through the first episode Fungus turns from a giant green monster into a human Timothy Spall and moves to the human world.

A story about a monster in a disgusting monster world is now a normal looking Timothy Spall living in suburban England. I use the term normal looking loosely, he now looks like a cross between old Johnny Rotten and Fat Bastard from Austin Powers after he lost weight.

I thought the Lord Of The Rings and Superhero booms had shown that people could buy stuff that was a bit far out but Sky made this as boring and pedestrian as they could and it's shit.

Walking dead would be better off a ten episodes a series instead of 16/18. There is good stories, but it's filled with so much fluff that it makes it a drag to get through. Its almost raw like in how it pads out time to fill. Now watch out of habit than excitement. That they took three weeks to get to [redacted because spoilers] is he/ isn't he dead totally telegraphed that he wasn't given how big a character he is in it.

His death/not death wasn't telegraphed until it got picked apart by the internet who weren't willing to wait and let the show tell the story.

I'm unreasonably furious about the Sky 1 Fungus the Bogeyman adaptation. Pathetic lack of imagination by the creators and a complete insult to the source material. Just like Where the Wild things are, The Smurfs, The Little Prince and so many other adaptations of children's material before it they filled it with loads of boring real world bullshit which completely bogged it down.

I loved the Fungus book as a kid, I was excited to see this and the CGI looked great but it's so shit. I know it's a short book and they want to pad it out but why would you take a story about a monster and make the TV show be about Keeley Hazell arguing with her husband?

I really hate the direction they went in for it but I could probably tolerate it except there's one thing that ruins it for me to the point of making it unwatchable - halfway through the first episode Fungus turns from a giant green monster into a human Timothy Spall and moves to the human world.

A story about a monster in a disgusting monster world is now a normal looking Timothy Spall living in suburban England. I use the term normal looking loosely, he now looks like a cross between old Johnny Rotten and Fat Bastard from Austin Powers after he lost weight.

I thought the Lord Of The Rings and Superhero booms had shown that people could buy stuff that was a bit far out but Sky made this as boring and pedestrian as they could and it's shit.

I'm not surprised people thought it was shit.  Most of Sky's original programming is always a let down.

It's one of the worst things about people in general, these days I think. Certainly the mainstream TV audience.

Anything 'concept', imaginative or other worldly is considered 'weird' or 'confusing' or some shit. It's like reality TV was so dense at the bottom of the barrel that it broke through, and now the whole of TV is being sucked through the void.

Everything has to be instantly relatable, rather than subtly so, and it's shit.

Sherlock, for example, last night. I wasn't that keen on it for a number of reasons, it was alright, but the hysterical reaction about it being too 'weird' or 'confusing' (it really wasn't) is so frustrating.

It's strangling the creative arts I think, because unless you're resurrecting a fantasy world people already know and have nostalgia for, anything outside the box is immediately met with derision.

It's like the chavs I used to go to school with, and who would pick on anyone with anything slightly quirky about them, are suddenly in charge of the world.

Everything has to be a fucking Peter Kay 'joke' these days. People just want to feel comfortable, unchallenged and just reminded of either their daily lives or things they've seen before.

It's shit.

I think I might be ranting. Sorry.