What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've not long started watching Mr Robot, it's pretty bad and often feels like it was written by a 4chan edgelord, lacks any kind of subtly but I'm sticking with it to see what bullshit they throw at the wall next.

Yeah, could not get into it at all. Alp the characters are horrible and the writing isn't strong enough to get around it.

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Watched and loved the first season of Fargo. The characters were excellent but I found the policewoman so annoying that I wanted them to get away with everything. I guess that’s what they were going for. Lorne Malvo was as terrifying as Anton Chigurh. 

Couple of episodes into the second season, enjoying it very much thus far. 

Not done 3, but the first two are some of the best telly. All well written telly.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Dawsons Creek

I loved this first time around and remember looking forward to Sunday afternoons on T4 to see the latest episode. (Think it was also shown in one of the 6pm slots as well but can't remember which day. It was also an excuse to talk to Vanessa Fernandes, the fittest girl in my year as she was the only other person that I knew that watched it. Anyway, some observations from rewatching this.

• The 'new' theme tune is much, MUCH better than the 'I don't wanna wait' shit that accompanied it the first time around. At first I assumed that the original theme perhaps didn't get added until series 2, but when series 2 kicked off and the 'new' theme was playing, I decided to at least google what happened. They didn't figure for streaming rights or something, which I learned has happened to a number of series, causing much boiled piss on the internet
  • Dawson. What a fucking twat. Honestly, how unlikable is your main character? Just a whiney, po faced, humourless little dickhead. His films...oh my god his films. How that B movie horror show ever won the 'Junior Film Maker' award at the Boston Film Festival I'll never know. He wasn't going for pastiche and he KNOWS it, the fraud. Oh look at you regurgitating your 'Kapra was the original Spielberg' shit that you saw in a Siskel and Ebert show'!!! I cannot remember if I liked his character the first time around
  • First couple of episodes. Dawson finds his Mum and Dad getting down to it in the front room. Dawsons Dad admits to his son, that he borrowed his video camera to film him and his Mum having sex. Pacey kisses his teacher who then statutory rapes him. Wonderful stuff
  • Fair play for addressing issues such as schizophrenia and PTSD (Andies Mum) to depression (Andie) to coming out as a teenager (Jack) and handling it really well.
  • Dawsons Mum is a MILF. Dawsons Dad is a DILF.
  • Forgot about the Rachel Leigh Cook cameo. Ugh, I love her.
  • Joshua Jackson is excellent and there is a lovely line in the 'Detention' episode where he references a certain ice hockey film he was in, which made me genuinely LOL
  • I was always Jen over Joey (In all honesty, I thought Joey was just as annoying as Dawson, and their prickery suited each other), but now I am Andie>Jen>Joey
  • The clothes are as always, awesome. Wish I could get away with wearing really baggy 'cargo' trousers or 'dockers' or whatever with a t-shirt and oversized grunge check shirt. The soundtrack is a bloody belter too. Some Josh Rouse, some Whiskey Town, bit of pop-punk, it's good.
  • One final thing. The geography of the place is messed up. Joey has to row a boat from her house to Dawsons yet, Dawson can walk from school home without crossing a river. Jack also walks Joey home from town without the need to row a boat at any time. I don't get where Joey lives! Also, this means that all the nights that Joey left Dawsons late, she would have had to row a boat home in the glades (that what they're called?), in the pitch black, where I presume alligators live. And Dawson was quite happy to let he do this. What a rotter.

There are so many wonderful TV shows that I haven't seen (The Wire, Six Feet Under) and some great looking recent ones (Erased, Dark, new El Chapo), so why have I spent 5 hours today watching Dawson and his neurotic shit???

• Paid Members

I made it through Motherland. Diane Morgan was great in it. Very well done show. I may be missing some of the jokes because of my not being a parent, but it was a good watch.

I watched Fleabag yesterday and thought it was great. It's a great example of why people thought Phoebe Waller-Bridge would have been a great choice to play the Doctor as she show's a great range during her performance, but can't help thinking the content of the show was why Phoebe Waller Bridge couldn't have played the Doctor. Mind you Peter Capaldi got the nod, and Malcolm Tucker isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows.

Alan Partridge documentary on the 27th on BBC Two at 9pm.

New episodes of League of Gentleman and Black Mirror soon as well, but a distinct lack of Xmas specials on.

Ah well, I'll be watching the Christmas specials of Its Always Sunny and Father Ted as always (FINANCIAL IRREGULARITIES)

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Ah well, I'll be watching the Christmas specials of Its Always Sunny and Father Ted as always (FINANCIAL IRREGULARITIES)

The acceptance speech is brilliant in Father Ted. Apart from FINANCIAL IRREGULARITIES the line that always does me in is "Now we move on to liars"

56 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Alan Partridge documentary on the 27th on BBC Two at 9pm.

New episodes of League of Gentleman and Black Mirror soon as well, but a distinct lack of Xmas specials on.

The new League Of Gentlemen start tonight for 3 nights in a row

One of the best Christmas specials I have ever seen is one of the Spongebob ones (No, I'm not being an ironic hipster), when Plankton gives everyone Jerktonium as it features a wicked song

Regarding the Sunny special one of the best bits of Sunny ever is when

Charlie asks Santa if he fucked his Mum. The look of desperation in Charlies eyes is wonderful. He really doesn't want it to be true but he knows it is. Bless him

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

My yearly viewing of Chas and Dave's Christmas Knees Up will be happening as per over the tide of yule. Controversially moving it to Christmas Eve rather than Boxing Day this time. 

It's a true staple in my household. Chas, Dave and Clapton is a supergroup that should have happened.