What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

On 2 December 2017 at 2:19 PM, ColinBollocks said:

What has everyone else made of the new season of Curb?

Personally think it's the weakest season. Granted standards are high, but a few episodes have been a bit light on laughs. Some really good episodes, of course, but too many are a little forgettable.

I think its been decent. Nothing memorable though. 

I'm not sure how many series this has left though, what do we think would be the best ending?

Copping off with Suzie? 

• Paid Members

No idea why, but I started re-watching Jonathan Creek on Netflix as my go-to background viewing. Only a couple of episodes in, but it's actually a fair bit smarter and less daft than I remembered it being, though I suspect that takes a downward turn pretty sharpish.

The pacing is bonkers, though - the first episode introduces you to about eight different characters in the first twenty minutes, none of them being Jonathan Creek. When you do meet Jonathan Creek for the first time, he's just awkwardly pestering someone in a supermarket, and then he's not tied into the actual plot for another ten minutes. Mad approach to a pilot episode.

I've also been watching Banzai, so I'm full of opinions about TV no one else has watched in twenty fucking years.

Whilst I wait big Dawsons Creek rewatch (All 4 for anyone interested) to start, wanted to say The Detectorists continues to be the most well acted, written and shot programme on TV. Honestly, some of the cinematography is just lovely.

All of the actors are very good, but special mention to Sheila Thompson who plays Sheila, Terry's wife, in her permanently '2pm glass of wine and a valium away with the fairies state'. She is brilliant, a far cry from Ben-stalker Stella in Eastenders.

The pacing of the show is spot on and the

car chase in Episode 3 was just so funny.

Edited by SuperBacon
forgot something

• Paid Members

The thread title was modified recently to (scripted) so this probably dosen't count, but did anyone see last night's episode of I'm a celeb?  I mean for most of the series to be honest, but last night I wanted to leap through the screen and kick Dennis Wise as hard in the bollocks as I could possibly muster.  

Very rare i'm genuinely angered, i'm a bit of a drama queen in general and faux rage for comedic purposes aside, but watching that little twat go to town on Iain Lee and the subsequent 'yeah, you were spot on mate' by supposed hard man Jamie Lomas and Amir fucking Khan took the absolute biscuit.

I'm an Iain Lee fan, so biased for sure, but I also know i'm guilty of that same 'I did nothing wrong, but will apologise and accept responsibility if that helps it all go away' attitude he's been displaying since he went in there when frankly, his only crime is not being a laddish dickswinger like that hatrick of bellends.

So yeah, I didnt enjoy watching that.

• Paid Members

Recently I discovered Nowtv have added 7 series of Gladiators and it's absolute magic still. I was 9 when it started and now I'm watching it with my 7 year old daughter. She's just as into it as I was. Wolf is superb, Shadow is a monster and I'm  still in love with Jet. I highly recommend it for family viewing. It 100% holds up.

Checked back a few pages and can't see any mention of Stranger Things so I'm reluctant to go all in and write exactly what I feel about this show.  What I will say is me and the missus binge watched both seasons over a working week and it's now replaced The Blacklist as my all time favourite tv show. Incredible.

• Moderators
On 07/12/2017 at 2:48 PM, John Matrix said:

The thread title was modified recently to (scripted) so this probably dosen't count, but did anyone see last night's episode of I'm a celeb?  I mean for most of the series to be honest, but last night I wanted to leap through the screen and kick Dennis Wise as hard in the bollocks as I could possibly muster. 

There's a separate sister thread for reality TV now.

Watched and loved the first season of Fargo. The characters were excellent but I found the policewoman so annoying that I wanted them to get away with everything. I guess that’s what they were going for. Lorne Malvo was as terrifying as Anton Chigurh. 

Couple of episodes into the second season, enjoying it very much thus far.